C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Carbon Build Up

Just curious, would a bad enough carbon build up rob horsepower and if so how much?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by bgreen83
Just curious, would a bad enough carbon build up rob horsepower and if so how much?
It can but it would not be so much as too be noticable!

Carbon buildup can cause detonation in a motor which is not a good thing (Of couse)

If you are concerned about it being built up I would suggest using a product such as SEA FOAM and follow the directions on the can and remove your carbon build up.

You more than likely will feel a difference in the vette to a degree, I would also purchase a set of new plugs to go in after the cleaning or if you have an old set put those in for the cleaning!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Thanks I was just curious. I Just changed my oil just now and I will do Seafoam for my next one. I just got new plugs to but I dont have my old ones anymore. so I dont it doesn't foul them up. It shouldn't but nothing ever goes smooth these days.
thanks again for your not smart *** comment
Originally Posted by madmatt9471
It can but it would not be so much as too be noticable!

Carbon buildup can cause detonation in a motor which is not a good thing (Of couse)

If you are concerned about it being built up I would suggest using a product such as SEA FOAM and follow the directions on the can and remove your carbon build up.

You more than likely will feel a difference in the vette to a degree, I would also purchase a set of new plugs to go in after the cleaning or if you have an old set put those in for the cleaning!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Run it at WOT for a while BLOW out the carbon

I ALMOST did the seafoam trick to my C5 but after reading some horror stories here (linelock, O2 sensers fouled) I decided to run the daylights out of the engine at WOT. If you don't have a good long straight highway without LEOs try leaving the trans in 2nd or 3rd and going about 50 or 60. Should clean out the carbon without any other problems arising. BIGHANK
Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
5OBait
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A nice long spirited drive should clean her out pretty nice
followed by an oil change while she is still pretty hot.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bighank
I ALMOST did the seafoam trick to my C5 but after reading some horror stories here (linelock, O2 sensers fouled) I decided to run the daylights out of the engine at WOT. If you don't have a good long straight highway without LEOs try leaving the trans in 2nd or 3rd and going about 50 or 60. Should clean out the carbon without any other problems arising. BIGHANK
You will blow out some carbon but not enough to help a carbon build up problem on the valves and pistons. I have used SeaFoam and GM Top end cleaner several times with no issues. The GM dealer said they use the top end cleaner on all vehicles when they are in for service and a tune up. Just follow the directions and don't dump the stuff in so fast that is stalls the car. The GM product says that when the can is almost empty, dump it in more quickly to stall the vehicle - I don't know about that. I use a funnel with a long tube going to PCV inlet in the intake behind the throttle body - put a vise grip on the tube to restrict flow and just let the intake vacumm suck the cleaner in slowly. The engine will start to run rough but it doesn't stall. When the can is empty just shut it downand let it set overnight. Then take it out on the highway to blow it out. Leave before daylight so no one will see the smoke. It takes about five minutes for the car to stop smoking. You will be amazed at the black soot coating the back bumper after the ride.

Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

I've used seafoam for years on many different cars with 0 bad side effects. Almost without exception I get better mileage and power. If you run your vette hard you might not need to do it but I would definately do it once to see if you get a lot of smoke.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recommendation is to use the Chevron Techron concentrate or BG 44K fuel additive every 7500 - 15,000 mi. This will control any carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves and pistons. Carbon will rob you of some power and can cause drivability issues if not dealt with. Regular use of these products in your fuel will prevent buildup of carbon. Another benefit of running these additives is that they tend to correct problems with fuel gauge sending units so often sited on this form. If you have higher mileage and have never done preventative maintenance to remove carbon, you might want to visit a shop that performs carbon depletion services using a machine like the one BG makes or Castle. This machine uses stonger chemicals to get rid of the carbon. Good luck with it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I will do seafoam before my next oil change. I was planning to start it at like 4 in the morning when its still dark and no one is awake. I don't know why no one else does it and everyone always has stories to tell you neighbors what you are doing so they dont call the fire department. I always thought it would be easier to do it in the middle of the night so no one would see.lol. After I seafoam her I will add techron for some fuel fill ups. I know I have alot of carbo in there since I was running rich. My tail pipes were always getting black and there would be gas spitting out when I would rev it. lol. its fixed now.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

I also recommend using Techron. I have used it for years in all my rides. If you think you have a major build up I would use two bottles - one at a time with 1 or 2000 miles between them (some use 2 bottles in two tank fulls back to back) and then use every oil change or maybe twice a year to prevent major build up in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Build Up

Quick Reply: Carbon Build Up