C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLB and Fuel Shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Default CLB and Fuel Shutoff

I am all for the CLB...but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on one thing.

If you have a MN6/MN12 with the PCM reprogramming fix that includes the fuel shutoff routine, does the CLB do any good? More specifically, does the fuel shutoff only occur if the column is physically locked? If so, then it sounds like the CLB is the best solution for a car that even has the PCM reprogramming recalls. Prevent the column from locking...never experience fuel shutoff.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There are at least three seperate recalls (or modifications of them). If they did the fuel reprograming, they probably also installed a k harness. If so, then if the k harness malfunctions (and they often do, as a relay fails), you will be limited to 2 mph (fuel cutoff). In this case, you can remove the k harness and install an aftermarket CLB. This will work.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
There are at least three seperate recalls (or modifications of them). If they did the fuel reprograming, they probably also installed a k harness. If so, then if the k harness malfunctions (and they often do, as a relay fails), you will be limited to 2 mph (fuel cutoff). In this case, you can remove the k harness and install an aftermarket CLB. This will work.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

I have an 02' Z06, which I believe only requires the PCM reprogramming. When I purchased the car (used), the dealer told me it had both recalls performed.

I have the CLB, I just haven't installed it yet since I thought a column lock situation would cause a fuel cutoff and leave me stranded anyway. However, if I can confirm that the prevention of the column lock engaging via the CLB will gurantee that the fuel cut off will not/can not engage then it appears the CLB has some value for me.

I have investigated whether the PCM recalls can be reversed/tuned out via tuning software, but it appears that the PCM recalls are written to a different portion of the OS in the PCM, which the tuning software does not interface with.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had all three recalls done, the last one removed the locking plate. Within 2 months I had 3 Harness-K relays fail. I then followed Csckod sticky, removed the 2nd relay installed down by the BCM and built my own CLB from John’s how to write up. 30K miles/1.5 years later I have had the Service Column Lock come up twice since and the Fuel Still Shuts Down over 2mph. The problem was quickly fixed by resetting the BCM via fuse #23. In both cases it was caused by trying to start the car but having the key slip between my fingers somewhere between ignition on and engine cranking, hence BCM and CLB got out of sync. IMHO the CLB is the only solution.
I’ve heard of one tuner that can disable the fuel shut off but have seen only one post claiming it worked.
Read the sticky at the top of the page in its entirety, it has all the information you need to make a educated decision as to what will work best in your case.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

falcon...

Check post #10 in the below thread for some additional info on this topic.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1944829

I hope it is of some assistance... GUSTO
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a tuner, and use Hp Tuner's. This is a screen pic of how to disable the column lock fuel shut off.

Russ Kemp

Last edited by Russ K; 02-19-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Russ K
I'm a tuner, and use Hp Tuner's. This is a screen pic of how to disable the column lock fuel shut off.

[IMG]

Russ Kemp
thats awesome!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
John Galt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dudleyd
I then followed Csckod sticky, removed the 2nd relay installed down by the BCM...
Can you help me out with this? I'm not sure where to find the relay.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Russ Kemp
Finally, the answer! Thanks. By the way, can you also turn off the column lock completely? The field right above the failed fuel cut in the pic?

So is it safe to say even if I had the PCM recalls performed, I can install the CLB and tune out the fuel shutoff. If so, I am done researching this boring software bug.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Russ Kemp
It looks like EFILive doesn't have the fuel cut off option. (or at least I can't find it.)

I was just trying to decide between EFILive and HP Tuners, easy decision now.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Finally, the answer! Thanks. By the way, can you also turn off the column lock completely? The field right above the failed fuel cut in the pic?

So is it safe to say even if I had the PCM recalls performed, I can install the CLB and tune out the fuel shutoff. If so, I am done researching this boring software bug.
The column lock will still function, as it is controlled by the BSM. I asked support about it, and they verified that the BCM is controlling the column lock. The service column lock message/remove key for 10sec messages are also controlled by the BCM. Also if the column lock relay (above the BCM) fails, even with a CLB installed, you will get the service column lock message.

When I had the service column message appear on my 2001 ZO6, the column won't lock after turning the ignition off. The car didn't stall, because the column lock relay failed in unlock mode.

I checked the column lock relay as per the Corvette service manual with nothing more than a test light. The dealer had the relay in stock for about $20.00. I am going to see if the column lock option can be disabled in the BCM with a Tech II.

Russ Kemp
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

It looks like EFILive doesn't have the fuel cut off option. (or at least I can't find it.)

I was just trying to decide between EFILive and HP Tuners, easy decision now.
I've had the tuner shop version of Hp Tuners for 3 years now. Awesome tech support, free updates, and way more supported vehicles, including 2005 & up V8 Mustang and 2004 Ford 4.6 & 5.4 trucks.

Just pay the extra $150.00 for the Pro version as you can easily hook up the analog outputs of a wideband O2 controller to log the AFR on the included scanner.

Russ Kemp
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 AM
John Galt
Safety Car

If you set column lock to "Not Fitted" and the lock has been removed so the wheel will never lock, does this negate the need for a CLB? Can I just remove my k-harness and be happy? Would I plug the BCM back into the CLB or just leave it unplugged?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

As I said before, the BCM controls the column lock. If anything is unplugged, the service column lock/pull key for 10sec message will appear on the DIC.
I haven't had time to see if the column lock can be disabled in the BCM with a Tech II.

Russ Kemp
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
John Galt
Safety Car

As I said before, the BCM controls the column lock. If anything is unplugged, the service column lock/pull key for 10sec message will appear on the DIC.
I haven't had time to see if the column lock can be disabled in the BCM with a Tech II.
After some research, I discovered that my problem was a failed relay on the K harness. I removed the K harness, plugged the ECL back into the BCM and everything worked fine.

With this temporary fix in place, I went down to Orange County Corvette's and had them set the column lock to "Not Fitted" and disable the fuel cutoff.

Now, should I:

A: Leave the BCM plugged into the ECL
B: Leave the BCM unplugged from the ECL (or anything else)
C: Get a CLB and plug it into the BCM in place of the ECL

I feel that since the BCM is now set to column lock not fitted, that it should not be expecting any signals from the ECL and therefore I should just disconnect it and not worry. What is the best approach?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi falcon5619 -

You are correct - if you have a car with the second tsb (i.e. the fuel shutoff flash) AND your car is not currently having the Service Column Lock / Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds problem, installing a CLB will prevent that from happening.

If, however, your car is already having the issue, the CLB will not fix the problem.

And, just to fill in the blanks, if you have a car that is in ANY state of TSB fixes or none performed at all, a CLB will still prevent the issue as long as it is installed before there is a problem.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mqqn
Hi falcon5619 -

You are correct - if you have a car with the second tsb (i.e. the fuel shutoff flash) AND your car is not currently having the Service Column Lock / Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds problem, installing a CLB will prevent that from happening.

If, however, your car is already having the issue, the CLB will not fix the problem.

And, just to fill in the blanks, if you have a car that is in ANY state of TSB fixes or none performed at all, a CLB will still prevent the issue as long as it is installed before there is a problem.

best regards -

mqqn
Thanks for the feedback. I have the CLB and HP Tuners on the way. So I plan to install the CLB and tune out the fuel-cutoff. In the back of my mind I just keep wondering what happens if the CLB fails? Hopefully, it fails in an open state!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I have the CLB and HP Tuners on the way. So I plan to install the CLB and tune out the fuel-cutoff. In the back of my mind I just keep wondering what happens if the CLB fails? Hopefully, it fails in an open state!
If you program out the fuel cut, you will just get the service column lock message. Car will be drivable.

Get notified of new replies

To CLB and Fuel Shutoff

Quick Reply: CLB and Fuel Shutoff