C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the crankshaft have a keyway cut for the Harm. balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
bliehr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does the crankshaft have a keyway cut for the Harm. balancer?

I'm geting ready to order a new Powerbond balancer and have the old one replaced. The picture of the balancer shows a keyway cut in it.
Is the crankshaft also cut for a key? I'm thinking Not and that is why guys pin them.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

In stock form they are not keyed.

Originally Posted by bliehr
I'm geting ready to order a new Powerbond balancer and have the old one replaced. The picture of the balancer shows a keyway cut in it.
Is the crankshaft also cut for a key? I'm thinking Not and that is why guys pin them.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 PM
bayarea
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does
Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bayarea
mine does
So you are saying you have a stock LS1 or LS6 with a keyway in the crankshaft?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

According to his sig. It isn't even close to stock...

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
easyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lucky131969
He may have a stock keyed LS1/6 crankshaft but it didn`t come from the factory that way in a stock motor.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Some aftermarket cranks will come with the keyway. The stock crank does not.

When you put on the Powerbond, it's the perfect time to pin it. But it's not a requirement either.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

What's annoying is that, after a several-year hiatus from keying cranks, Chevy thought it better to release the LS-9 with a keyed crank. Many of the first C6's had the flying crank pulley syndrome that was all the rage.

Note the keyed crank, pulley and woodruff key in this exploded view of the LS-9.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

It's supercharged....keying it wasn't a choice, it's an absolute necessity.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, that was a given for the LS-9. But, with the problems they had in the early LS-2, you'd think they would have moved there sooner. I have always used a keyed lock in my gear and pulley-based designs whenever possible. Press-fit designs have their place but not in high-powered, dynamic situations where inertial changes are violent, IMO.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Patches
Yes, that was a given for the LS-9. But, with the problems they had in the early LS-2, you'd think they would have moved there sooner. I have always used a keyed lock in my gear and pulley-based designs whenever possible. Press-fit designs have their place but not in high-powered, dynamic situations where inertial changes are violent, IMO.
Ed, I agree. You just made it sound like they did this for the heck of it.

As for the LS2 issues, I forget, but what was the resolve for that? Was it deemed to be a balancer/crank fit issue, or a bolt/torque issue?

A loose balancer can be a chicken / egg scenario...did the bolt loosen first, allowing the balancer to spin/walk off, or did the balancer spin, and loosen the bolt with it when it spun?

Even a keyed balancer won't stay put if the bolt loosens and ejects itself.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

The fix they used was to install a "friction washer" to prevent the bolt from backing out. There are a few reasons this could have occured, although the TSB described the problem as "The crankshaft balancer bolt may have become loose."

Who knows? If the press-fit was inadequate, the pulley could have begun to spin and walk forward creating a thrust force forward and the TTY bolt would have been overwhelmed by the forward pulley thrust, loosening it. If the bolt preload was inadequate, the pulley thrust would have created the same failure because it wasn't properly constrained.

C6 owners were reporting a washer with a frictional face was installed on their cranks along with a new pulley when the first one loosened on them. This sounds like a preventative measure to combat the pulley spinning/walking on the crank. In general it worked but a couple of members reported multiple failures before the issue was resolved. I remember that a few C6 owners requested that their crank pulleys be pinned to the crank using the method we use but the dealers refused and carried out the TSB fix.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Patches
The fix they used was to install a "friction washer" to prevent the bolt from backing out. There are a few reasons this could have occured, although the TSB described the problem as "The crankshaft balancer bolt may have become loose."

Who knows? If the press-fit was inadequate, the pulley could have begun to spin and walk forward creating a thrust force forward and the TTY bolt would have been overwhelmed by the forward pulley thrust, loosening it. If the bolt preload was inadequate, the pulley thrust would have created the same failure because it wasn't properly constrained.

C6 owners were reporting a washer with a frictional face was installed on their cranks along with a new pulley when the first one loosened on them. This sounds like a preventative measure to combat the pulley spinning/walking on the crank. In general it worked but a couple of members reported multiple failures before the issue was resolved. I remember that a few C6 owners requested that their crank pulleys be pinned to the crank using the method we use but the dealers refused and carried out the TSB fix.
It sounds like GM didn't know for sure either...but at least they were replacing the balancer too.

I kinda thought they were just having dealers install and torque a new bolt. (which we both know wouldn't have worked once the pulley spun).

Get notified of new replies

To Does the crankshaft have a keyway cut for the Harm. balancer?

Quick Reply: Does the crankshaft have a keyway cut for the Harm. balancer?