C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How do I add and check trans. fluid level????????/

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I add and check trans. fluid level????????/

Hey guys and ladies, I need some help again. I want to change the (auto) tranny fluid in my 98 vette and can't find the way to fill and check the level in the manual. After I reinstall the pan where do you fill if from and after its filled where do you check it from? Any help will be great.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

On an auto trans you should have a dipstick at the rear of the engine next to the firewall. You can check and refill from that tube.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Its a C5, the trans is in the rear
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Oops, sorry on my last post was thinking about my C4 96 auto

4L60-E AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID CHECKING PROCEDURE

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid normal operating temperature has been reached.
Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. CAUTION: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

Remove the transmission plug. IMPORTANT: The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.
Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.
Add DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Thanks sarge. Stay safe
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
On an auto trans you should have a dipstick at the rear of the engine next to the firewall. You can check and refill from that tube.
The transmission, whether automatic or manual, is in the REAR of the vehicle on a Corvette. There is a "torque tube" that carries the propeller shaft to the transmission which is bolted directly to the differential .... no "dipstick" available .....

Originally Posted by SUNNYD 95
Hey guys and ladies, I need some help again. I want to change the (auto) tranny fluid in my 98 vette and can't find the way to fill and check the level in the manual. After I reinstall the pan where do you fill if from and after its filled where do you check it from? Any help will be great.
The drain/fill plug lower on the tranny ( in the side of the pan) is where yo .... duh .... drain and fill it from.

* jack/raise car and ensure it is level. Remove drain plug .... WARNING .... hot transmission fluid will be expelled if tranny is hot.

* Remove transmissiion pan bolts, then loosely reinstall drain plug.

* Lightly tap pan or pry gently to remove pan

* Remove pan and drain remaining fluid from the pan - clean pan

* Remove all traces of gasket material from pan and gasket surface on transmission

* Inspect oil pan bolts, if conical washers are "reversed" (the outer edge of the washer is closer to bolt head than center of washer) then discard bolt/washers and replace

* install new oil pan gasket

* install oil pan - tighten bolts to 97 lb/inch

* remove drain/fill bolt and start adding DEXRON3 ATF

* when fluid level reaches bottom of drain plug - start engine and leave transmission in PARK

* Continue to add fluid until fluid is again draining from the drain/fill hole - WARNING - you will be working near the exhaust and that will get HOT ... also tranny fluid will get HOT quickly ... BEWARE OF BURNING YOURSELF

* Install drain/fill plug and tighten to 22 lb/ft

* Turn off engine and lower vehicle

* Inspect for leaks

As you can see this procedure is best done with the car up on a lift, it is not easy to do with the car only up on jack stands.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 PM
918_logan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if there is an aftermarket kit to install a dipstick and fill tube?

Last edited by 918_logan; 03-23-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ABSOLUTY NOT!
No.. The factory service manual procedure is the ONLY way...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 918_logan
does anyone know if there is an aftermarket kit to install a dipstick and fill tube?
Not yet, but it sure would make things easier.

Somewhere inside the fuel cap door would be an ideal spot to have one.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
Not yet, but it sure would make things easier.

Somewhere inside the fuel cap door would be an ideal spot to have one.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 PM
uselessvetteinfo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
The transmission, whether automatic or manual, is in the REAR of the vehicle on a Corvette. There is a "torque tube" that carries the propeller shaft to the transmission which is bolted directly to the differential .... no "dipstick" available .....

The drain/fill plug lower on the tranny ( in the side of the pan) is where yo .... duh .... drain and fill it from.

* jack/raise car and ensure it is level. Remove drain plug .... WARNING .... hot transmission fluid will be expelled if tranny is hot.

* Remove transmissiion pan bolts, then loosely reinstall drain plug.

* Lightly tap pan or pry gently to remove pan

* Remove pan and drain remaining fluid from the pan - clean pan

* Remove all traces of gasket material from pan and gasket surface on transmission

* Inspect oil pan bolts, if conical washers are "reversed" (the outer edge of the washer is closer to bolt head than center of washer) then discard bolt/washers and replace

* install new oil pan gasket

* install oil pan - tighten bolts to 97 lb/inch

* remove drain/fill bolt and start adding DEXRON3 ATF

* when fluid level reaches bottom of drain plug - start engine and leave transmission in PARK

* Continue to add fluid until fluid is again draining from the drain/fill hole - WARNING - you will be working near the exhaust and that will get HOT ... also tranny fluid will get HOT quickly ... BEWARE OF BURNING YOURSELF

* Install drain/fill plug and tighten to 22 lb/ft

* Turn off engine and lower vehicle

* Inspect for leaks

As you can see this procedure is best done with the car up on a lift, it is not easy to do with the car only up on jack stands.

Just to clarify, his C4 has a front mount tranny. . Wich he later made clear.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I add and check trans. fluid level????????/

Quick Reply: How do I add and check trans. fluid level????????/