C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I set fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I set fuel pressure?

Hey guys, I have decided to run a return line on my 01 TT z06 and I have a question about setting the fuel pressure.

I am using an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator (#13105) off the fuel rail with a return line to the tank and I was wondering how do I set the fuel pressure on it? It has an adjustment screw on the top.

I know that you hook a vacuum line up to it and then with every 1psi of boost it will raise it 1 psi of fuel. But what should I set it for at idle. After the initial setup do I just hook the vacuum line up and let it raise itself under boost. Sorry if this is a dumb question, never messed around with doing fuel pressures before.

Thanks I appreciate!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes adjustment screw... most shoot for 60 psi at idle.

Did you remove OEM regulator by fuel filter ? I believe thats where it is on 01.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Yes adjustment screw... most shoot for 60 psi at idle.

Did you remove OEM regulator by fuel filter ? I believe thats where it is on 01.

Yes what I did was replace the OE fuel filter with the built in regulator, with a 97/98 fuel filter without the regulator.

So after I set the intial idle fuel pressure to around 60psi I should then hook up the vacuum to the nipple of the aeromotive regulator?

Thanks you guys are really helpful
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
glennd
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

yes connect the reference pressure/vacuum line to the regulator after you have set your fuel pressure.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexB333
Yes what I did was replace the OE fuel filter with the built in regulator, with a 97/98 fuel filter without the regulator.

Thanks you guys are really helpful
What's the advantage
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
What's the advantage

I am by no means an expert on this, but after talking to some fellow forum members this setup will yield a larger amount of fuel for high horsepower applications. I run a little over 600whp but am running out of fuel. The weak link on the newer C5's was that it didn't have a return line. By using the 97/98 fuel filter without the built in regulator you can then add an aftermarket pressure regulator. Run a line off the shrader on the fuel rail to a regulator and then from the regulator to the fuel tank(return line).

This combination along with a good fuel pump, BAP, and injectors can see over 700whp, some of the guys are making 800whp on this setup.

The advantage? Alot more horsepower capabilities without breaking the bank.

Maybe some of the guys that helped me will chime in...I didn't come up with the idea. But it is a great idea. I think it is an excellent compromise between a big budget fuel system for someone who wants to make some good power but doesn't want to go extreme.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am by no means an expert on this, but after talking to some fellow forum members this setup will yield a larger amount of fuel for high horsepower applications. I run a little over 600whp but am running out of fuel. The weak link on the newer C5's was that it didn't have a return line. By using the 97/98 fuel filter without the built in regulator you can then add an aftermarket pressure regulator. Run a line off the shrader on the fuel rail to a regulator and then from the regulator to the fuel tank(return line).

This combination along with a good fuel pump, BAP, and injectors can see over 700whp, some of the guys are making 800whp on this setup.

Maybe some of the guys that helped me will chime in...I didn't come up with the idea. But it is a great idea. I think it is an excellent compromise between a big budget fuel system for someone who wants to make some good power but doesn't want to go extreme.
Just MHO, why not just order the 97/98 fuel rail and do it right?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Just MHO, why not just order the 97/98 fuel rail and do it right?

What is the difference with the 97/98 rail over the one I have on my 01? It seems like the same rail I have other than the return line, which I didn' t want, because I wanted to run my own custom line of the shrader for a aeromotive regulator. And all things being the same, wouldn't that be like buying the same rail I have?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

What is the difference with the 97/98 rail over the one I have on my 01? It seems like the same rail I have other than the return line, which I didn' t want, because I wanted to run my own custom line of the shrader for a aeromotive regulator. And all things being the same, wouldn't that be like buying the same rail I have?

Thanks
The 97/98 rail has the regulater mounted on the rail, and I would think you'd like the cleaner look of using the stock return line through the fuel rail cover.
Then you can tap into the shrader valve port for a fuel pressure gage.
Just saw you plan on running an Aeromotive regulator, is it that much better then a stock one? Also there are stock type that are adjustable I forget who sells them but I have one on my car.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

You know to be honest, I have no idea if my new aeromotive regulator is much better then the stock one on a 97/98. I went with the aeromotive because it's boost activated. For every one psi of boost, the regulator will raise fuel 1 psi.

Does the stock 97/98 do that?

Thanks
Alex
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

What does the aeromotive run?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
What does the aeromotive run?
As far as psi? It is a 30-70psi regulator. It is model #13105.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

You know to be honest, I have no idea if my new aeromotive regulator is much better then the stock one on a 97/98. I went with the aeromotive because it's boost activated. For every one psi of boost, the regulator will raise fuel 1 psi.

Does the stock 97/98 do that?

Thanks
Alex
Most guys just unplug the vacuum line and tune with max fuel pressure which is around 58-60 psi.
My tuner turned my adjustable aftermarket reg up to 62 psi and I run with that.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Most guys just unplug the vacuum line and tune with max fuel pressure which is around 58-60 psi.
My tuner turned my adjustable aftermarket reg up to 62 psi and I run with that.

hmmm very interesting, I did not know that. I love learning new things.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, what do you consider "good power". Plenty of guys running in the 10's all day long with a factory filter/pressure regulator, so I'm still unclear as to the advantage.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
AlexB333
Instructor

Ok, what do you consider "good power". Plenty of guys running in the 10's all day long with a factory filter/pressure regulator, so I'm still unclear as to the advantage.

Well I am sure everybody's set up is going to vary slightly, but for mine at 611whp/650wtq and 8psi at 5500 my fuel was nose diving. I didnt have enough to make more power. I had 65lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, and a BAP. So for my setup, my returnless factory fuel system was way to weak for my goal in power. So I did this new setup with the regulator after the rail, a return line, and a meth kit.

Having a pressure regulator the whole way back by the tank, as is when stock, just does not allow enough pressure at the rails.

And maybe yes the whole 97/98 stock setup might have worked fine, but that is not what I had, so I figured why bother with new rails and having to take things apart that arn't broken and decided just to add a $170 regulator, 10 ft of braided line, and $11 fuel filter.

Alex
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
peebee_c5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's the advantage
I believe that recirculating systems are pretty common on big diesels: earth moving equipment, generators, etc. I *think* that they usually recirculate to keep the fuel cool.

So... I suspect that heat would be the #1 reason.... #2 might be fuel pump design/head pressure/consistent pressure through the fuel lines.... but don't take my word for it.....

Get notified of new replies

To how do I set fuel pressure?

Quick Reply: how do I set fuel pressure?