C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Ignition Switch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Dave70
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill thank you again. You and this site are a wealth of knowledge.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Scoobi_FreeBSD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave70
Thanks again Bill. I have an intermittent turn signal problem. Sometimes they just will not light up. I found that if I jiggle the key in the ignition they will start working. Thinking it may be a bad contact in the switch???
Sounds like the hazard lights switch; I replaced mine a few months ago (it was a b!#$%h to do, but well worth it). This switch controls the blinking of both the hazard lights and turn signals. Next time the turn signal doesn't work, try tapping/pushing the hazard switch to verify.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Dave70
Racer

Ok will do. But just to be clear the turn signals aren't lighting up and not blinking. They do not light up at all.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Great write up. Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 03:48 AM
BlackbirdXX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 years later a thread still fixing issues. 35 min in and out (replaced with $58.00 oem) and of course who started it. - Bill Curlee I'm not going to be able to afford all the beer I owe ya. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BlackbirdXX
8 years later a thread still fixing issues. 35 min in and out (replaced with $58.00 oem) and of course who started it. - Bill Curlee I'm not going to be able to afford all the beer I owe ya. Thanks again.
Anytime brother... Just glad that I was able to help.

Man,,, Its been that long since this switch stuff started..

Bill
Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 AM
Srfrance
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Replacement

Bill, looking for some help with ignition issues, and possibly more.

I recently purchased an 01 Z06. I found your thread and replaced the ignition switch because Imwas getting errors regarding abs and tcs and decided to purchase a new A/C delco switch and replace.

Before I replaced the switch, my car finally decided to stop starting...giving me all the lights and error messages, etc., I thought the old switch just died, so I figured replacing the switch would fix all my probs...Not so lucky.

Looks like error messages are gone, but car will not turn over. Would you give me the troubleshooting steps I should take to track down my problem.

Battery checked good, cleaned cables and fully charged. Thanks for any help, Steve
Old 10-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Srfrance
Bill, looking for some help with ignition issues, and possibly more.

I recently purchased an 01 Z06. I found your thread and replaced the ignition switch because Imwas getting errors regarding abs and tcs and decided to purchase a new A/C delco switch and replace.

Before I replaced the switch, my car finally decided to stop starting...giving me all the lights and error messages, etc., I thought the old switch just died, so I figured replacing the switch would fix all my probs...Not so lucky.

Looks like error messages are gone, but car will not turn over. Would you give me the troubleshooting steps I should take to track down my problem.

Battery checked good, cleaned cables and fully charged. Thanks for any help, Steve
Is the engine cranking but not firing ??? could be the chip in the key try your spare ???? or clean it with alcohol ???
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

First things first,,, pull the DTCs using the DIC and report ALL the DTCs. Clear ALL the DTCs and check and report again.

You engine STARTING (cranking) revolves around the Theft Deterrent Relay.

Is it getting the CRANK voltage
Is it transferring the crank signal to the relay
Is the relay closing to provide the starter the 60 AMP 12 VDC power to turn on the starter solenoid
Is the Starter solenoid working

Here is the schematic that you will need to properly troubleshoot the issue:

Name:  Starterelectricals.gif
Views: 1379
Size:  89.4 KB

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-10-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Name:  Starterelectricals.gif
Views: 1540
Size:  89.4 KB
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

All done with my swap(I replaced mine). Here's a pic of my fixed contacts.......2 burnt and another beginning. Bill, is there any issues with cleaning(sanding/polishing) the contacts thereby removing whatever protective coating I've read is on there?!?? Just curious about this and want to learn! Also, a huge THANK YOU to Bill(and others) for this thread and the invaluable information available to us Vetters on this site. I am truly appreciative to have a resource and good people out there who want to help others!!!

some of my observations while doing this:
-I tilted the center console up and left(lifting from back end near trunk), after unbolting and sliding it a bit back, so as to give me a clear view and easy access to disconnect fuel door connector under there! Installed it back this way too, just reversed.
-my brake cable, attached to switch, would not pull out all the way while switch was still in position(not enough room to back it all the way out). I disconnected 2 harnesses underneath, then maneuvered switch front back and down, and cable came out(I had already released locking tab) as I pulled towards me.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Carlos Dunn
5th Gear

Default your wisdom on my 03 50th hard to start then quit

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee; Bill, hope this gets to you.. Thx for your insite into my 03 hard to start and finally after starting, quit 3 times later in the day.
I took your advise and replaced the ignition switch with a new GM part, and at the same time, replaced the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. Have not had the time to drive far, but good so far. Thx a bunch for the tips. You and the tech tips are invaluable !
C Dunn
Old 11-01-2016, 08:01 PM
pops98
Instructor

So Glad I found this thread. Starting to have intermittent issues with ASB and TC lights on dash. Funny , when the lights were on, my climate control went dead. After a few minutes the lights wouyld go out and all was good. Cleaned the contacts, both fixed and the ones located on the arms, put a little more tension on the arms and put all back together. No More codes and I am so glad to be able to drive the car without looking at lights on the dash, and especially keeping my climate control operationable.
I have orderd a new AC Delco switch and wull replace as soon as it arrives, but keeping my old one as a backup for me or my friends.

Thanks Bill
Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

pops, do you have a number or link to the switch?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:03 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

[QUOTE=sloopdawg;1593378398 do you have a number or link to the switch?[/QUOTE]

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...gnition-switch

Here you go.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:58 AM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

you are friggin' awesome!!!!
Thanks Man!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I finally got around to removing the ignition switch and cleaning. My wipers would kill my ACC power and I wouldn't know why. Sometimes just starting the car I would end up with no ACC power. Here's some photos on how it was before and after.

BTW some extra tips for those looking to try this themselves.

#1 To get to the ignition switch is the same as getting to your car stereo, except you leave the stereo alone and take out the switch with two 10mm bolts.

#2 There's a third wire going to the back of the switch you might wonder how to remove. Just put the key in and turn it, and it should pull out easily. Don't forget the one clip holding it in.

#3 I put dielectric grease in to prevent this again, but I did it with a Cotton swab. It left particles behind which caused a TCS NO COMM error. Had to take it back apart and clean it out, and apply the grease by hand. Avoid putting particles in there.
Attached Images      

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Ignition Switch Repair

Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Korvette2005
8th Gear

Default pictures of ignition contacts

Hi, I'm new to the corvette forum and purchased a C5 two months ago. On the way home my dash lights would flicker and did so the first two weeks of ownership and never happened again. The C5 would also have a sluggish start when cold, very weak then come to life. Then last week I went out to the store come back home and about three hours got back in the C5 and notice my security light flashing, insert the key and turn to on position and security light stayed on with the no start problem. Pulled current code (P1626) so far I have installed new battery to no changes. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I forgot to mention when the dealer handed me the keys to the C5 the key did not have the chip in the key.

Last edited by Korvette2005; 01-28-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: recent work
Old 01-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Korvette2005
8th Gear

Update // clean contacts and installed back in the car with a no crank-no start still. Security light is still flashing. I found my multi meter and will dig in and see what I can find.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Korvette2005
8th Gear

Default key made with number 4 resistor

Originally Posted by Korvette2005

Hi, I'm new to the corvette forum and purchased a C5 two months ago. On the way home my dash lights would flicker and did so the first two weeks of ownership and never happened again. The C5 would also have a sluggish start when cold, very weak then come to life. Then last week I went out to the store come back home and about three hours got back in the C5 and notice my security light flashing, insert the key and turn to on position and security light stayed on with the no start problem. Pulled current code (P1626) so far I have installed new battery to no changes. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I forgot to mention when the dealer handed me the keys to the C5 the key did not have the chip in the key.
Still no luck with new key made. Now I hear door chime when new key is inserted in ignition. No start no crank still in effect. Security lights still on.

Last edited by Korvette2005; 01-28-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: security lights still on

Quick Reply: C5 Ignition Switch Repair