C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Heads...Step Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 PM
stol3n
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Heads...Step Inside

Alright, I've came to the point to where I'm ready to do a set of heads and maybe a fast 92/92 combo. Currently, I have added the following already and would like your input on a set of heads to maximize my combo for the most power:
  • LG Pro Long Tube Headers (No Cats)
  • LG G5x4 Cam
  • Textralia OZ700 Clutch, New Pilot & Throwout Bearing (Billet Steel Flywheel)
  • New OEM Master Cylinder
  • New Slave Cylinder
  • Vararam VR2B Intake
  • Carbon Fiber Z06 Air Bridge
  • Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley
  • Bosch SVO 30lb Injectors
  • 7.40 Hardened Push Rods
  • PRC Spring Kit ( Titanium Retainers, Seats, Seals, and Locks. Springs rated to a 660 Lift)
  • LS2 Timing Chain Set
  • Ported LS6 Oil Pump
  • 180* Thermostat
  • Ported Stock TB

The car makes EXCELLENT power as it sits but it still isn't enough. At Vengeance it put down 451hp/418tq. I had it dyno'd this past weekend at MPH Performance with the factory Ti catback and it made 440hp/428tq. So, for a cam only car I'd say it's pretty healthy. Now onto heads. I know the AFR's and Trickflow's are amongst the more popular ones but I'm interested in honest non-biased opinions here. I would like to break 500 with a set of heads and maybe a fast 92/92 combo, or would an LS2 intake and 90mm TB suite me equally for less. I'm completely new to NA applications and I'm clueless when it comes to cc's of heads and what that means. All help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your gonna definantly need AFR's or TF to reach your goal. TF offer a little more PTV clearance but I would speak with Tony Mamo about clearance of his heads with that cam.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much money do you want to spend, and do you want stock of aftermarket castings?

If you're willing to have your car sit for a little while, you can send your stock 243 castings to TEA and get their Stage 2 port. They will flow 320cfm or more at .600 lift. You'll save money by not having to purchase an aftermarket casting, but you'll have a thinner head overall.

If you want to go with an aftermarket head, I say pick your poison. TFS, AFR, and ET heads are all excellent pieces all at comparable prices for an assembled set. All of these heads being aftermarket casting will have thicker surfaces than a ported set of stock castings.

I can't see that there would be too much difference between a FAST 90/90 and a FAST 92/92, but I'm sure that's open for debate. There are a few well documented ported FAST 90 with ported throttle bodies making over 500 to the tires.

By the way, I saw your car down at MPH on Sunday when I was leaving. Good looking ride.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 PM
stol3n
Racer

Originally Posted by LinearX
How much money do you want to spend, and do you want stock of aftermarket castings?

If you're willing to have your car sit for a little while, you can send your stock 243 castings to TEA and get their Stage 2 port. They will flow 320cfm or more at .600 lift. You'll save money by not having to purchase an aftermarket casting, but you'll have a thinner head overall.

If you want to go with an aftermarket head, I say pick your poison. TFS, AFR, and ET heads are all excellent pieces all at comparable prices for an assembled set. All of these heads being aftermarket casting will have thicker surfaces than a ported set of stock castings.

I can't see that there would be too much difference between a FAST 90/90 and a FAST 92/92, but I'm sure that's open for debate. There are a few well documented ported FAST 90 with ported throttle bodies making over 500 to the tires.

By the way, I saw your car down at MPH on Sunday when I was leaving. Good looking ride.
really? small world huh, who were you/what were you driving? i only opted for the 92/92 because it is only $50.00 more than the 90/90. I hear you need roller rockers with the Trickflows?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stol3n
really? small world huh, who were you/what were you driving? i only opted for the 92/92 because it is only $50.00 more than the 90/90. I hear you need roller rockers with the Trickflows?
A friend of mine was down from West Virginia having his car retuned after putting on an intercooler and smaller pulley on his 2v Mustang. Unfortunately, we were there for four hours and only saw 4 cars dyno, so we left. That white Z06 that rode in with you guys was ultra clean. I drooled on it for a minute when I left!

I think roller rockers are a good idea regardless of which head you decide to go with. I wasn't sure of the price difference between the 90/90 and the 92/92. I think that is strictly a call you'd have to make, and I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have pretty much the same setup as you, and I bought the AFR 205s milled to 59cc, and I have the 90/90 setup (unported). The car made 490/443.

If I could do it again I probably would go with trickflows and milled them to 58cc since I have seen slightly better numbers from them in similar applications. I would also have ported my FAST...I still may to try to hit that 500 mark.

But you cant go wrong with either head...look for the best deal i guess.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

give Gunnar a buzz at Patriot Performance- have his cnc'd 243 heads w/ the double gold springs-
when you say 500 hp is that at the flywheel or the rear? It is helpful to specify.
give Rick a call at Livernois Motorsports as well -been there and they do all their own cnc work in house -Rick knows vettes.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
stol3n
Racer

Originally Posted by Irish Whiskey
give Gunnar a buzz at Patriot Performance- have his cnc'd 243 heads w/ the double gold springs-
when you say 500 hp is that at the flywheel or the rear? It is helpful to specify.
give Rick a call at Livernois Motorsports as well -been there and they do all their own cnc work in house -Rick knows vettes.

500 Rear Wheel
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Justin give me a call buddy. I shot you a PM on LS1Tech
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

See sig below

Get notified of new replies