C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Textralia OZ700 Z-grip Review

Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My Textralia OZ700 Z-grip Review

Well, my stock clutch was on its last leg, so I had Stephen @ EnglandGreen install a Textralia. I had driven my friend's car, which has the X-grip (the less aggressive version, more streetable) and loved it. However, Stephen convinced me into getting the Z-grip, and told me I wouldn't have issues with clutch chatter.

For the first 300-500 miles, the clutch took some "getting used to". Overall, it has a very nice feel - the pedal is exactly like stock. It's a little bit harder to slip it as it's a pretty grabby clutch, but after breaking it in, there is absolutely no clutch chatter. I love the feel of the clutch - you can really tell that it can take a beating just by the feel of it. It bites REALLY hard on hard shifts - I broke the tires loose a few times on the 3-4 shift in a stock car .

So if anyone here is wondering whether the Z-grip is too aggressive for the street...well, all I have to say is, leave the X-grip for your wife or girlfriend and get yourself a Z-grip! This clutch in conjunction with the Hurst shifter gives the car the "race car" feel that it should have from the factory. All you have to do is ride the clutch a little more, and/or give it a little more gas off the line, otherwise it's pretty tame. Textralia did a good job considering this clutch will hold 700rwhp.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding details I may have left out, feel free to ask!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MattZ28
Well, my stock clutch was on its last leg, so I had Stephen @ EnglandGreen install a Textralia. I had driven my friend's car, which has the X-grip (the less aggressive version, more streetable) and loved it. However, Stephen convinced me into getting the Z-grip, and told me I wouldn't have issues with clutch chatter.

For the first 300-500 miles, the clutch took some "getting used to". Overall, it has a very nice feel - the pedal is exactly like stock. It's a little bit harder to slip it as it's a pretty grabby clutch, but after breaking it in, there is absolutely no clutch chatter. I love the feel of the clutch - you can really tell that it can take a beating just by the feel of it. It bites REALLY hard on hard shifts - I broke the tires loose a few times on the 3-4 shift in a stock car .

So if anyone here is wondering whether the Z-grip is too aggressive for the street...well, all I have to say is, leave the X-grip for your wife or girlfriend and get yourself a Z-grip! This clutch in conjunction with the Hurst shifter gives the car the "race car" feel that it should have from the factory. All you have to do is ride the clutch a little more, and/or give it a little more gas off the line, otherwise it's pretty tame. Textralia did a good job considering this clutch will hold 700rwhp.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding details I may have left out, feel free to ask!

ever get the stuck pedal syndrome before the clutch swap? get it now? my tex is going in hopefully this weekend and will be awful f'n pissed if I spend $2K on parts/labor and still not be able to shift when beating on the Z
Old 03-05-2008, 01:51 AM
savage1
Pro

Thanks for posting the feed back on the tex and the z grip
Clutch is on my list for next mod's since I have major pedal woes since h/c install.
savage1
Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Glad you took my advice and I am pleased that you love the clutch.

Stephen

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 03-05-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Glad you took my advice and I am pleased that you love the clutch.

Stephen

Originally Posted by BADMFR
ever get the stuck pedal syndrome before the clutch swap? get it now? my tex is going in hopefully this weekend and will be awful f'n pissed if I spend $2K on parts/labor and still not be able to shift when beating on the Z
Yes, the pedal was sticking to the floor before. My guess is the slave cylinder was gunked up because my fluid looked like ****, and the Ranger protocol didn't fix anything. All those issues are solved - just make sure you replace the master and slave!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Matt

Nice feed back on the clutch! I have a stinking suspicion that I'll need one of those after my whiplash install. Cars got 50K on the originnal ZO6 clutch.

STEVEN,,,, I didn't think you knew what a clutch was. You don't do that third peddle thing!

I'll probably have to get you to order me a Textralia Z package soon after the CAM and heads! I'll let you know. If you smell burnt clutch coming from some where up North, it might be me!

BC
Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

^ Let me know when you want one, Bill - I have your CC on file.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Matt

Nice feed back on the clutch! I have a stinking suspicion that I'll need one of those after my whiplash install. Cars got 50K on the originnal ZO6 clutch.

STEVEN,,,, I didn't think you knew what a clutch was. You don't do that third peddle thing!

I'll probably have to get you to order me a Textralia Z package soon after the CAM and heads! I'll let you know. If you smell burnt clutch coming from some where up North, it might be me!

BC
Am I going to be able to smell burnt clutch on the way to BG this year??? i.e. Is that H/C going to be done by then???
Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must agree with Matt on the Z-grip. I had some reservation about the clutch because I wanted good street-ability. This clutch grabs great but does chatter a bit off the line. I had gotten so use to my stock clutch not grabbing until the peddle was all the way out that I killed the car 3 times leaving the shop. After driving with it all afternoon I think I got the hang of it and I must agree that it feels like it can take any abuse I could throw at it. I just gotta get better at getting it going in first!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cmb396
Am I going to be able to smell burnt clutch on the way to BG this year??? i.e. Is that H/C going to be done by then???
Chad

I had a TOUGH time whippen a beefed up WRX today so,,,,,,,,,,the damn things getting ripped apart VERY SOON and the WRX STOMPING parts are going in! You bet ya I'll be there with clutch smokeing HP! Yep, the Z will be at Bowling Green by hook or crook!! We will be parked SIDE BY SIDE!

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-06-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 AM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

LOL it took me about 5 slips to get out of Stephen's parking lot. It kept engaging hard so I would get scared and press the clutch in immediately.

When you get the hang of it, it will still chatter a little bit...but after break-in, things will get much better.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Originally Posted by MattZ28
LOL it took me about 5 slips to get out of Stephen's parking lot. It kept engaging hard so I would get scared and press the clutch in immediately.

When you get the hang of it, it will still chatter a little bit...but after break-in, things will get much better.
I have had mine for around a year. I really like the clutch compared to the exedy dual disk I had before. I still get some noise when letting the clutch out in first. Anybody else have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Last edited by supercoupe01; 03-06-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

There are enough people who love the Z grip but then qualify it by saying that it does chatter that I'm pulling the rattling RAM Dual Disc out and putting in an X grip. The only car I've been in with the Z grip chattered some.

My $.02
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Originally Posted by WKMCD
There are enough people who love the Z grip but then qualify it by saying that it does chatter that I'm pulling the rattling RAM Dual Disc out and putting in an X grip. The only car I've been in with the Z grip chattered some.

My $.02
Mine doesn't chatter (my exedy sure did) it just makes a "slight barking seal sound" when releasing out of first some times. Maybe that is what some people are describing as chatter, but mine is quiet when the clutch is not engaged.

Last edited by supercoupe01; 03-06-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
bayarea
Drifting

Originally Posted by supercoupe01
Mine doesn't chatter (my exedy sure did) it just makes a "slight barking seal sound" when releasing out of first some times. Maybe that is what some people are describing as chatter, but mine is quiet when the clutch is not engaged.
a barking seal could you record yourself making that sound so we can diagnose that problem.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing mine this weekend with 4.10 gears!!!

Get notified of new replies

To My Textralia OZ700 Z-grip Review

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

I have the OZ700 X grip and love it. I have driven MattZ28's Z06 with the Z grip.

Basically you have to get used to the clutch. Once you learn how to slip it correctly and launch correctly you do not get any chatter. It not not a forgiving clutch if you release it too quick without enough throttle. You will bog down real hard and feel some chatter since the Z grip bites hard. However, Matt has become an expert at driving with the Z grip and when I ride with him you would never even know he has an after market clutch. Not a bad deal for a clutch that can hold 700rwtq. Also once it warms up it becomes easier to drive.

As for my car, I love the X grip, its only rated to 550 rwtq which is plenty for me anyhow. It is much more forgiving when you don't slip it enough but since its half ceramic it still bites pretty hard and can cause some chatter. I personally like the X grip more as it is more street friendly in stop and go traffic. But the Z grip is not very far off in drivability. The only difference in the 2 is the Z grip bites pretty hard so at light throttle you have to slip it a little more than you would my X grip.

You can't go wrong with either clutch. I would be happy with either one in my car. But don't let people make you think there is no learning curve when it comes to driving with the X or Z grip clutches.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The squeeling noise comes around every 300 miles or so if you havent beat on the clutch. You just have to slip it and heat it up - textralia recommends putting it in second, revving a little, and doing a long slip. Presto, gone for another couple weeks or so.

Now, I have a tex z grip in my Fbody, and despite all of the bleeding in the world it grabs way lower than stock, and you really have to be careful speedshifting to make sure the clutch is to the floor to avoid grinding. Has anyone else had this issue with a Vette? I will be picking out a clutch for my z06 soon and I want to avoid this low engagement issue, which sucks for shifting at high rpm.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

I do not think the low engagement issue is related to the clutch itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Textralia OZ700 Z-grip Review