C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick answer: what kind of Ti rod for Ti exhaust bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need quick answer: what kind of Ti rod for Ti exhaust bypass?

My welder isn't quite sure what grade/size rod to use to weld the Ti bypass pipes into my exhaust. If anyone could provide any insight, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Matt
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pure titanium rod or Ti 6-4, either will work because this is a low strength fill application. Typically you would want to match the alloy you are welding together with the same or preferrably an overalloyed fill wire.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

What diameter rod do you recommend? he said .093 is too thick to do a nice job...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

ttt...c'mon guys my car is too quiet!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1/16th or .063, If your welder can't tell you what size filler wire he wants to use, do you think he should be welding your Ti mufflers? Welding titanium is easy compared to cutting contoured holes and creating close fitting complex shapes in titanium tubing.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

He's done it before, just not on a regular basis. He wasn't sure what size rod to use as he's never done a Ti automotive exhaust...mainly aviation repairs.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MattZ28
What diameter rod do you recommend? he said .093 is too thick to do a nice job...
Is he protecting BOTH sides of the weld with Argon ???? Ti is contaminated by air when hot and becomes VERY brittle (the weld won't hold) unless both the front and back (the interior and exterior) of the weld are protected.

http://www.timet.com/fab-p27.htm

(Timet is the supplier of the original Ti to Arvin Meritor for fabrication of the Corvette exhaust)

I would think, if he has welded titanium before, he'd know what wire size to use. Titanium is common on military aircraft, and somewhat common on commercial planes ... it is rarely seen in "General Aviation" applications ....

Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
donnie90stang
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Is he protecting BOTH sides of the weld with Argon ???? Ti is contaminated by air when hot and becomes VERY brittle (the weld won't hold) unless both the front and back (the interior and exterior) of the weld are protected.

http://www.timet.com/fab-p27.htm

(Timet is the supplier of the original Ti to Arvin Meritor for fabrication of the Corvette exhaust)

I would think, if he has welded titanium before, he'd know what wire size to use. Titanium is common on military aircraft, and somewhat common on commercial planes ... it is rarely seen in "General Aviation" applications ....

The ones i did were not submerged, or purged with argon. They are still on and doing fine.

Last edited by donnie90stang; 05-03-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need quick answer: what kind of Ti rod for Ti exhaust bypass?

Quick Reply: Need quick answer: what kind of Ti rod for Ti exhaust bypass?