C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential case bolt torque spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:05 AM
topdown01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Is the Differential Case bolt torque spec correct?

Hey Everyone!

I've read from multiple sources, including this forum that the torque spec of the differential case bolt (the covers where the shafts go through...there are 15 - 8mm 8.8 bolts in total) is 41 ft-lbs...

Well, I've been doing a lot of upgrades recently including the clutch and when I pulled the rear assembly I discovered I had the leaky butt syndrome. I bought the seals and set out to fix the problem. I got everything cleaned up and started reassembly...started with the side that has 9 bolts. I got the cover on using a star pattern to tighten the bolts. I snapped a bolt!!!

I was lucky enough to have a screw extractor kit from years back...thankfully I was able to get it out...so incredibly lucky!! Since I had that side pretty much done I used a bolt from the other side...I only have 30 ft-lbs on the bolts for now until I figure this out.

I Googled the maximum torque of an 8 mm 8.8 bolt and found out that it is 17 to 18 ft-lbs!

What have I got wrong here? How could a torque spec be so far above the maximum torque allowed for a bolt?

Feels like I'm missing something...any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by topdown01; 01-06-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 AM
cbell3186
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Perfect timing, I just looked this up about 5 mins ago and saved it for my current project

Clean the O-ring sealing surface on the differential cover and the differential housing.
Install new O-ring, P/N 89047953, to the differential cover.
Apply a continuous 3 mm (0.125 in) bead of sealant, P/N 1052942 (Canadian P/N 10953466), or equivalent, to the cover flange.
Apply sealant around the bolt holes. Keep sealant away from the O-ring.
Install the differential cover to the differential.
Install the differential cover retaining bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m(20 lb ft).

Clean the excess sealant from the left cover/housing splitline.
Using two nuts installed on the stud, install the transmission mounting stud to the differential cover.
Tighten
Tighten the stud to 42 N·m(31 lb ft).

Remove the second nut from the transmission mounting stud.
Tighten the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 50 N·m(37 lb ft).

Install the damper/tuned absorber and bolts to the differential (97-04 model years).
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m(18 lb ft).
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM
topdown01
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbell3186
Perfect timing, I just looked this up about 5 mins ago and saved it for my current project

Clean the O-ring sealing surface on the differential cover and the differential housing.
Install new O-ring, P/N 89047953, to the differential cover.
Apply a continuous 3 mm (0.125 in) bead of sealant, P/N 1052942 (Canadian P/N 10953466), or equivalent, to the cover flange.
Apply sealant around the bolt holes. Keep sealant away from the O-ring.
Install the differential cover to the differential.
Install the differential cover retaining bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m(20 lb ft).

Clean the excess sealant from the left cover/housing splitline.
Using two nuts installed on the stud, install the transmission mounting stud to the differential cover.
Tighten
Tighten the stud to 42 N·m(31 lb ft).

Remove the second nut from the transmission mounting stud.
Tighten the nut retaining the transmission to the transmission LH mounting stud.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 50 N·m(37 lb ft).

Install the damper/tuned absorber and bolts to the differential (97-04 model years).
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m(18 lb ft).
That's awesome, thank you so much!!...where did you find this and why do you suppose there is such a contrast to the 41 ft-lbs? I already put one side together and the sealant is touching the o-ring as I was putting the sealant on as I thought I saw ino pictures here on the forum...I don't think it will hurt it...well hoping that it will not...

In any event, thanks for the information!!!

Last edited by topdown01; 01-06-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

the Case bolts are the bolts that attach the diff to the torque tube, the side cover bolts are the ones you are over tightening
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM
topdown01
Instructor

Originally Posted by feeder82
the Case bolts are the bolts that attach the diff to the torque tube, the side cover bolts are the ones you are over tightening
ah...ok, thanks...I did not understand the nomenclature. I don't feel comfortable with the original bolts now that they've been over torqued so replacing them all to make sure... $20 stupid tax

Last edited by topdown01; 01-17-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential case bolt torque spec

Quick Reply: Differential case bolt torque spec