C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatech headers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatech headers installed!

As some of you may know I recently decided to try and install a set of Dynatech Longtube headers and catted x-pipe on my 03Z. I am by no means a mechanic and really hadn't turned a wrench on this car since I bought it last May but wanted to attempt this install.

I started by looking at as many threads as possible regarding header installs on C5 Vettes. After reading a few, I jacked the car up, put it on jack stands, and tore into her!

It took me about 2:30-3:00 hours to remove the old system and this was taking it slow so that I didn't screw anything up. I used some penetrating oil on all bolts and everything came apart easily.

Once the old sytem was out, I started the install of the new exhaust. I put the passenger side in first from the top and had to loosen the starter just a bit to get the header tab past it.

I then raised the car so that it was 20 inches off the ground and removed the engine ground strap and moved some wiring on the drivers side and slid the drivers side header in. This header was a bit trickier to get in but after some patient manouvering and a bit of swearing it popped in.

I then wrapped the o2 wires with heat shielding, wraped the clutch line and did my best to tuck all wiring as far away as possible from the exhaust. The rest of the system was easily installed and fit perfectly. I then torqued all header bolts and A.I.R. bolts to spec and re-installed all parts that were previously removed for the install like the alternator and coil packs.

I re-checked everything and lowered the car. It fired up and I found I have two leaks coming from where the intermediate pipes join the x-pipe. I put a bead of high temp gasket rtv on each leaking joint, let it cure over night, and it sealed perfectly by the next day! I took the car out for a spin today (first drive of the season) and loved the exhaust note through my factory TI exhaust and the extra SOTP horsepower. My MSD wires should be here tomorrow and I'll install them as well as a set of kool sox.

I plan on getting DRM to do a full tune on my car sometime in June as I'll be away all of May.

Here are some pics, not great, but the best I could do at the time.

As a side note, is it normal to smell smoke after driving it for the first time? It's hard to describe the smell, kind of a metalic smell. I highly recommend the Dynatech system and found it fairly easy to install, even for a DIY newbee like myself. If you decide to tackle a header install, please buy a 10mm gear wrench to save yourself a lot of aggrevation!

Later
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Congrats on the self install. Dynatech seems to be a great value.

And the smell on start up with new headers is normal.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 AM
TorchRed00FRC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

I've put 12,000 miles on my Dynatech header system. You'll enjoy the difference even more after a tune.

Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
MKeller
Racer

good job
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats I just did this on my car about a month ago, Love it
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 PM
bigbadbevo
Instructor

Congrats. I'm still battling my LG Pro install... mostly bad luck, lack of skill and time on my part. Enjoy.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice on going with Dynatech's. I had them on my Z06 for 20k miles and never a problem! IMHO, koolsox are a waste of money with these headers. There is plenty of clearance for the plug wires. My MSD's are still like new after 20k miles.

Jimbo
Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
smiley callender
Instructor

Default Dynatech headers

ME TOO, I HAVE HAD MINE FOR A YEAR NOW AND REALY LOVE THE SOUND AT WOT.MORE IS BETTER

Get notified of new replies

To Dynatech headers installed!

Quick Reply: Dynatech headers installed!