Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
rsxmanjoe
CF Senior Member

Default Replacing parking light bulb

Im trying to replace the parking light bulb below the drivers side headlight....whats hte best way to get at htis??? can you get at it through the fenderwell lining? thanks
rsxmanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Dave Gledhill David Gledhill

Do you mean the DRL/turn signal bulb or the parking light on the side of the cluster?

If you mean the DRLs you'll get three suggestions

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

Click the image to open in full size.

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights

10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.

If its the side light than the same procedure works but its a smaller lamp unit and its a 194 bulb.

Last edited by DeeGee; 10-05-2008 at 04:07 AM.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: "If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution! Period!" And remember, the border is secure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo Joe 24 oO View Post
Im trying to replace the parking light bulb below the drivers side headlight....whats hte best way to get at htis??? can you get at it through the fenderwell lining? thanks
You can do it that way but it's a lot more time consuming and involves a lot more screws being removed.

What works well for me is to put the headlight in the up position (use the crank ****), remove the three screws the hold the black plastic headlight "surround", then (very important) measure the height of the hood stop. You don't need anything fancy here for that part. I just used a Phillips screwdriver and placed it alongside the hood stop and made a small mark on the shaft of the screwdriver with a small felt-tip pen that was exactly even with the top of the black rubber bumper. Then remove the hood stop.

You now have a fair amount of room to reach your arm down into the cavity underneath the headlight assembly to reach the turn signal light. Once the bulb is changed, you now have the correct measurement to re-bolt the hood stop. No worries.

HTH
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Dittohead_nm
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In I Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post
You can do it that way but it's a lot more time consuming and involves a lot more screws being removed.

What works well for me is to put the headlight in the up position (use the crank ****), remove the three screws the hold the black plastic headlight "surround", then (very important) measure the height of the hood stop. You don't need anything fancy here for that part. I just used a Phillips screwdriver and placed it alongside the hood stop and made a small mark on the shaft of the screwdriver with a small felt-tip pen that was exactly even with the top of the black rubber bumper. Then remove the hood stop.

You now have a fair amount of room to reach your arm down into the cavity underneath the headlight assembly to reach the turn signal light. Once the bulb is changed, you now have the correct measurement to re-bolt the hood stop. No worries.

HTH
I just tried this methind and it worked great! Piece of cake! Thanks!
Dittohead_nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
2EZ 2SPD
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post

HTH
This is the way I did mine it worked well for me
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
VetteTech81
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to VetteTech81

If I remember correctly, I just raise the headlight, and remove the hood stopper and reach down in there.. I have small arms and it gives me just enough to get in there and do it..
-=Rick
VetteTech81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Benpup
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Don't lose the weird little rubber washer on the socket.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others.

Tyranny is a total failure of government and must be fought against by all means available.
Benpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Replacing parking light bulb

Tags
2000, 2002, 2004, body, bulb, bulbs, c5, change, corvette, light, lights, parking, side, working, z06