C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing parking light bulb

Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing parking light bulb

Im trying to replace the parking light bulb below the drivers side headlight....whats hte best way to get at htis??? can you get at it through the fenderwell lining? thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do you mean the DRL/turn signal bulb or the parking light on the side of the cluster?

If you mean the DRLs you'll get three suggestions

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights

10 minute job. Some guys have had the lights close if they’ve taken a while to do the fix. If you’re worried about that, disconnect the battery once the lights are up.

The bulb is a 4157NA

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.

If its the side light than the same procedure works but its a smaller lamp unit and its a 194 bulb.

Last edited by DeeGee; 10-05-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Oo Joe 24 oO
Im trying to replace the parking light bulb below the drivers side headlight....whats hte best way to get at htis??? can you get at it through the fenderwell lining? thanks
You can do it that way but it's a lot more time consuming and involves a lot more screws being removed.

What works well for me is to put the headlight in the up position (use the crank ****), remove the three screws the hold the black plastic headlight "surround", then (very important) measure the height of the hood stop. You don't need anything fancy here for that part. I just used a Phillips screwdriver and placed it alongside the hood stop and made a small mark on the shaft of the screwdriver with a small felt-tip pen that was exactly even with the top of the black rubber bumper. Then remove the hood stop.

You now have a fair amount of room to reach your arm down into the cavity underneath the headlight assembly to reach the turn signal light. Once the bulb is changed, you now have the correct measurement to re-bolt the hood stop. No worries.

HTH
Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Dittohead_nm
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
You can do it that way but it's a lot more time consuming and involves a lot more screws being removed.

What works well for me is to put the headlight in the up position (use the crank ****), remove the three screws the hold the black plastic headlight "surround", then (very important) measure the height of the hood stop. You don't need anything fancy here for that part. I just used a Phillips screwdriver and placed it alongside the hood stop and made a small mark on the shaft of the screwdriver with a small felt-tip pen that was exactly even with the top of the black rubber bumper. Then remove the hood stop.

You now have a fair amount of room to reach your arm down into the cavity underneath the headlight assembly to reach the turn signal light. Once the bulb is changed, you now have the correct measurement to re-bolt the hood stop. No worries.

HTH
I just tried this methind and it worked great! Piece of cake! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

HTH
This is the way I did mine it worked well for me
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, I just raise the headlight, and remove the hood stopper and reach down in there.. I have small arms and it gives me just enough to get in there and do it..
-=Rick
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Don't lose the weird little rubber washer on the socket.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing parking light bulb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing parking light bulb