Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
rrod100

Default Cost to rebuild a transmission?

I was wondering what it costs to rebuild a transmission as far as parts and then what labor costs. I'm having problems with reverse and second gear. Reverse gear sometimes does not go in and second gear you have to force the gear in sometimes. I want to get an idea of what it costs to rebuild a transmission because i want to get it done in the next week. So before i take it to different shops i want to have an idea of what it will be costing me. I live in the fresno ca area so if anyone knows any good shops just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help
rrod100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
candacedianne
CF Senior Member

On our 1991 Vette it was $1500 and they never got it right...we even had it done at Amaco. They had to rebuild part of it again a second time because it was done incorrectly the first time.
Make sure you get someone who knows how to rebuild a vette transmission. We thought we did, but he really had no idea. Very frustrating! We no longer have that car, we traded it in.
Good luck! Also, it would be worth it to get an extended warranty, might cost you $700 or so, but it would be worth it if you have the $$
candacedianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
nextime
CF Senior Member

delorean6683

I was told it was slightly cheaper than buying a new GM Transmission. I had 2nd and reverse issues too so they replaced the Transmission instead, it was covered under warranty.
nextime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
biggreen54

I just had my A4 rebuilt. Took about a week. Cost was $1800 for just the rebuild. Labor for removal & reinstall plus trans & diff fluids was on top of that for a grand total of about $2900 by the time it was all done.
biggreen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
dougnstein
CF Member

Send a message via AIM to dougnstein

might want to check the forum for shifter adjustment and fully synthetic fluid before you spend that much $$.. I had similar problems and flushed it with new synthetic fluid (amsoil maybe?) and the difficulty shifting went away, i think an adjustment would help the rest of mine i'm just waiting until B&M shifter install...
dougnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
nextime
CF Senior Member

delorean6683

It is not a shifter adjustment, we both suffered from the exact same symptoms.
nextime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
WKMCD
CF Senior Member

Call Rodney at RPM and find out. He's the best!
WKMCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Rickyh93
CF Senior Member

I agree with the above about Rodney, Todd and TJ and RPM transmissions. I was in the process of rebuilding mine but after waiting a month from a different transmission supplier and running out of time to get the car back together, I called TJ at RPM and had a Level 5 mn12 the next day. Great people to deal with and smoothest shifting transmission I've ever had.
Rickyh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
motogib1
CF Senior Member

Probably cheaper in the long haul to get a built tranny from RPM. Check their website, I believe a Level IV RPM tranny can be had for around $1800 plus installation, check their website or call them. Much less likely to fail in the future. Thats what I would do and I am a tightwad.
motogib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Cost to rebuild a transmission?

Tags
1984, 85, average, c4, c5, corvette, cost, georgia, price, rebuild, s6040, shop, transmission, vette, wisconsin, zf