C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS* Help on a muffler alignment and a windshield rubber issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
lp2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PICS* Help on a muffler alignment and a windshield rubber issue

Hello everyone, I want to know if you guys can help me with the following. I just installed a exhaust set that was pulled off a stock 2003 corvette onto my 1999. However, it isn't leveled.

Any tips on how to level this myself ? or do I take it back to my chevy dealership that did the work??

this is the moulding from the windshield that is loosing up

this is my finger pushing it back into place:

this is when i release my finger from it:

any feedback / help would be appreciated everyone!!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
bobc997615
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd loosen the 2 bolts on the flange before the rear axle & see if there is enough "slop" to square the outlets up. You can slot the holes to get a little bit more adjustment.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Heck, if the dealer charged you to install it ... take it back and have them do it right .....

The windshield molding is part #10299765 and at the dealer will cost about $25.00 for the part. Supporting vendors sell it for about $15.00 (plus shipping). Unlikely the ealer will have it in stock so if you're gonna get it from them, call the parts dept. and order by phone (you'll have to pay for it when you order it).

Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 PM
lp2k
Racer

So do I pull the old rubber out and align the new one in place? or do i need to remove the windshield wipers and work my way in to get the job done

your right i think i may take it back and have them realign it
Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be able to do it yourself .... I can't locate any instructions in the Service Manual, so I suspect that it is just "pull out the old .... work in the new".

What I would do is make up a batch of VERY soapy water (use dish soap from the sink .... Palmolive or Ivory ... whatever) in a bucket first.

The windshield molding for the entire windshield is only two pieces ... one piece crosses the top and down both sides. The other piece (the one you are replacing) goes from corner to corner at the bottom of the windshield.

You should be able to start at one corner and simply pull the old one out. It may be pretty brittle, so if need be use a little of that soapy water as a lubricant to help pull the molding out. Same getting the new one in .... wet the bottom of the windshield with the soap so the new molding slides more easily across the glass. Once you are done, hose the soap off the car .... be aware if your car is waxed .... dish soap will take the wax off pretty effectively ... so maybe this is an excuse to clean and wax the car for summer.

If it helps ... the molding is 95 percent decorative ..... the windshield is glued into the window frame and is completely watertight. Be careful of any exposed edges of windshield glass, the Service Manual warns they can be sharp.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 AM
lp2k
Racer

thanks for the advice, i will be sure to order the part and try to get this done asap blackz06
Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
YellowFlash
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7 & 9 Veteran

Default For sure take it back...

Take the car back to whomever did the install of your pipes; they didn't do something right . I'm surprised you didn't see them that way when you took the car from them after the install; were they straight when you picked her up? Did the pipes settled that way after you took it from the dealer?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 AM
lp2k
Racer

since there not even, can i be potentially damaging my car by driving it?

also these mufflers are off a 2003 with 10k miles on them
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Bugaboo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lp2k
since there not even, can i be potentially damaging my car by driving it?
Not if its just an alignment issue
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM
lp2k
Racer

Originally Posted by YellowFlash
Take the car back to whomever did the install of your pipes; they didn't do something right . I'm surprised you didn't see them that way when you took the car from them after the install; were they straight when you picked her up? Did the pipes settled that way after you took it from the dealer?
no they had the car parked nose out so i put in park and drove straight out, i didnt check for alignment since i saw the the chrome, i figured they were straight and i was running late to work, should have checked
Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
tommybilt
Racer

I didnt read the replies regarding the weatherstripping so sorry if it was answered. Take the wipers off and pop that cowl off. You should be able to snap that strip back on by hand and it will stay. There is a lip that catches.

Get notified of new replies

To PICS* Help on a muffler alignment and a windshield rubber issue

Quick Reply: PICS* Help on a muffler alignment and a windshield rubber issue