C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R. R. Brake Rotor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R. R. Brake Rotor Removal

HELP!

I'm about to lose it here..... I'm changing out the rotors and pads on my `01. The fronts were a piece of cake. Painted the calipers all pretty and everything, put some shiny new drilled and slotted zinc plated rotors on and went to work on the back. The left rear disc came off with some effort (of course the shoes pulled away from the backing plate and the wonderful SPRING came blazing out of somewhere). This puzzled me for a bit but after guessing and playin' around I figured out how to get it rehooked (I think?) It's in there anyway and seems to be meant to hold the shoes up to the backing plate? I moved around to the right side and proceeded as before but I cannot get that cottin pickin rotor to come off regardless of the explatives and appropriate force
What am I doin' wrong? Is there a way to compress the shoes so the rotor will come off. I'm sure there must be a lip on the rotor drum from the shoes wearing into the drum that's preventing it from seperating from the emergency brake shoes. It was time to call it quits for the night as I was getting a little impatient . Need to let the paint dry on the calipers anyway.
Someone please help me with my dillema, before I hurt something. (ME!) I've been wrenchin for many years, but not on Vettes.

Thanks!
Pete O.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It may seem dumb, but make sure the e-brake is completely disengaged. Otherwise the rotor will not come off. If it is truely stuck, time to break out the mallet. Just tap on the rotor (you are changing it out anyway) eventually it will break free. The e-brake shoes can be reassembled if they fall off with it. The e-brake on the rear rotors can make removal a PITA.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 AM
bdiddo
Burning Brakes

Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by bdiddo
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If you look at the left parking brake, you will notice there is an "adjustment wheel" located in the center of the shoe.

Go to the right side and back off the adjustment wheel as much as possible, then try removing the rotor.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
It may seem dumb, but make sure the e-brake is completely disengaged. Otherwise the rotor will not come off. If it is truely stuck, time to break out the mallet. Just tap on the rotor (you are changing it out anyway) eventually it will break free. The e-brake shoes can be reassembled if they fall off with it. The e-brake on the rear rotors can make removal a PITA.
Thanks to all who replied. This still doesn't answer my question, however. It's obvious I have the park brake lever released or I wouldn't have been able to get the left side off. I've hammered, yanked, pulled sworn a lot and tried myself to the max, with no results. Can a person adjust the parking brake from the back side of the backing plate. I don't see any access but maybe I'm getting blind with rage. This thing is eatin' my lunch!!!!
Please, please, please, somebody give me an answer. I know I can't be the only one out there that's having or has had this problem....

Thanks, again
Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
C4B4the04
Pro

Are you saying the rotor is siezed to the spindle? If so, its not an emergency brake issue at all. The surface of the spindle is iron, so is the rotor. I had 7000 miles on my 04 when I pulled the rotors in the back the first time. It took 45 minutes with a can of WD-40 bled down in between the lugs and the rotor and a 5 lb sledge between EACH of lugs about 20 hits. Your situation is different if the rotor is "loose" (ie, you can move it around independently of the spindle), otherwise its just siezed. Not impossible to get off, just sucks.

Good luck! Be glad your paycheck does not depend on getting it off....thats why I am not a mechanic any more!

Cassidy
Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.

I couldn't get either of my rear rotors off when I changed them out. I sprayed all kinds of stuff on there, cussed, hit it for hours with a rubber mallet. I then posted on here and everyone told me to hit the back of the rotor with a ball ping hammer. I did that a few times and they both came right off. Good luck.
Jeff
Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by JeffC5
I couldn't get either of my rear rotors off when I changed them out. I sprayed all kinds of stuff on there, cussed, hit it for hours with a rubber mallet. I then posted on here and everyone told me to hit the back of the rotor with a ball ping hammer. I did that a few times and they both came right off. Good luck.
Jeff
Thanks again! I'm gonna go out and beat that sucker till it bleeds! (I'll probably be the one bleeding, heh, heh)
I'll WD40 the heck out of it first. The rotor doesn't appear to be stuck. ck to the hub, but maybe.........
I know I got more movement out of the left rotor than this one. I still had to convince it a lot with threats and violence before it came off. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Last edited by PETE O.; 05-01-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: missspelled word
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Thanks again to everyone! I let the WD-40 soak in, released the parking brake cable from the actuator (easy) and went out a beat the holy begeesus out it with a 2 lb hammer. It finally relented...... I didn't even have the retainer spring jump out at me. All is good

Thanks again, y'all!!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.

Glad it all worked out!
jeff
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Well, by dern, she's back in the dirt again! This forum is awesome and the people in it are the best!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To R. R. Brake Rotor Removal

Quick Reply: R. R. Brake Rotor Removal