C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help wanted: Window won't go down - 2004 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Default REPAIRED - Help wanted: Window won't go down - 2004 Z06

Background: I've owned this car almost 2 years. When I got it, the passenger window operated fine, although the auto down did not function.
Last week, the window stopped operating entirely. I ordered/installed a new door switch panel, along with passenger door.
This was not my problem.
All I get is a slight "click" sound as I push the button. Motor is silent. I tried depressing button while pushing down on window but that didn't work either.
The sound is coming from the region of the passenger door switch.
I know the regulator/motor is a common problem on the C5, but tried what I thought would be the easiest fix with the switches.
There are no lights on dash indicating any problem, and the car drives just fine.
I know from a receipt from 2006 that the passenger door regulator was replaced under warranty.
Has anyone had a similar situation and found the solution?
The door lock switch on that door functions fine.

UPDATE 7/20/22
New regulator and motor installed and window function is back to normal.

Thanks in advance.

21k original miles

Last edited by Mr. Wonderful; 07-20-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:36 PM
w1ps
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this problem with my stock '98. The solution was to replace the window regulator Corrected this past weekend and now it works like a dream.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:21 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Before shooting off the parts cannon, probably a good idea to pull off the panel and get a good look. With a car that clean, and such low mileage, my first guess is a bad connection/connector, broken wire. Maybe adjsutment, something is blocking the glass from going down.

If all of that stuff checks good, then Corvette Central sells the regulators with the motor.

I'm getting ready to do this little operation myself. My windows work, but not very well and the passenger window gets off track from time to time.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:13 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Try popping the door panel with your hand a few times near the speaker. My driver's door sometimes quits and this gets it going again. Gotta be either a lose solder joint or sticky brushes in the motor itself.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:33 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Try popping the door panel with your hand a few times near the speaker. My driver's door sometimes quits and this gets it going again. Gotta be either a lose solder joint or sticky brushes in the motor itself.
I've tried that until my hand hurt - no results.
I've ordered a new regulator.

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:49 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
I've tried that until my hand hurt - no results.
I've ordered a new regulator.

Thanks to all for the input.
So you're saying I'm on borrowed time?
Old 07-15-2022, 09:11 AM
Eric_who
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Had this exact issue in my 03, passenger window would make a click sound but the window wouldn’t go down. For me, it ended up being my battery on its dying legs that was causing weird electrical stuff to happen. Replaced the battery and its been perfect since.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:00 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your input Eric_who but I think my battery is in good shape. Car starts right up and everything else works fine.
As a precaution, will check the battery before replacing regulator. I really don't think it's a battery problem.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:00 PM
Alley Oop
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I got this from a post by Bill C.The passenger door on some C5 gets used very little. It can often stick due to not being used. One cause of your door window not working could be a stuck window regulators mechanism. The easiest solution that has worked for numerous forum members is to just jar the door while pressing the down or up button. Some people have even had to slam the door. For the most part, this will solve the problem

The most probable cause is a dirty relay contact inside of the Right Door Control Module (RDCM) The relays are known to go bad due to arcing. There have been a few people who have preformed surgery on the DCM's and have replaced the bad relay with good success. Some have just replaced the module. NOTE!! There expensive!!!

Then there are people (my self included) that have found the door wiring harness connectors to be the problem. The wiring harness exits the door between the two door hinges through an accordion tube. Then they connect the the main wiring harness behind the kick panel in the foot well. I manipulated the plugs and got mine to work normally.

Start with the easy free stuff first and let us know how you make out.

Bill
Old 07-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Thanks AO
I've done the slamming of the door without success. I've wiggled the accordion also without any results.
I have replaced the door switch on both doors with no success, that's why I ordered a regulator.
Results will be posted.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:29 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

UPDATE: July 20, 2022
Problem solved - new regulator and motor installed and is now working fine.
Thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Help wanted: Window won't go down - 2004 Z06

Quick Reply: Help wanted: Window won't go down - 2004 Z06