C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheels... LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
NassauBlue98
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheels... LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7?

Is the LS2 flywheel a direct replacement for the LS1 flywheel? ie... if I was replacing my flywheel for my '98 LS1, which flywheel should I order?

I believe the LS7 is an oddball as it is segmented, correct?

If anyone has PNs on these, those would be appreciated as well...

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

My understanding is LS2 and LS7 flywheels have the same CRITICAL dimensions; however you need to run the LS2/7 clutch and pressure plate. So from my knowledge, you can NOT use the ls2 flywheel as a direct replacement for the ls1.

IF you want to reuse your LS1/6 clutch and pressure plate, you need a LS1/6 flywheel. (why would you replace the flywheel only?)

the differences between the LS6 and LS1 flywheels and the LS7 and LS2 is the LS6/7 are heavier.

You can not use the LS2 clutch with LS1 flywheel or vice versa.

Last edited by dmiz0420; 06-09-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
NassauBlue98
Pro

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
My understanding is LS2 and LS7 flywheels have the same CRITICAL dimensions; however you need to run the LS2/7 clutch and pressure plate. So from my knowledge, you can NOT use the ls2 flywheel as a direct replacement for the ls1.

IF you want to reuse your LS1/6 clutch and pressure plate, you need a LS1/6 flywheel. (why would you replace the flywheel only?)

the differences between the LS6 and LS1 flywheels and the LS7 and LS2 is the LS6/7 are heavier.

You can not use the LS2 clutch with LS1 flywheel or vice versa.

Thanks... that is what I was looking for.

I am looking at getting a clutch that doesn't come as a kit, so was looking to get a new flywheel vs. resurfacing my LS1.

From what I have found upon further research is that you can't order a flywheel from GM separate from a clutch (at least LS1/LS6)... you have to buy the clutch kit. Although... Scoggin Dickey has a LS2 clutch available on their website... but it sounds like that won't work for me anyway based on the above info.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
SDPC
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What setup are you looking to get?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

NassauBlue98,

I have a 99 with a supercharger and put in the LS7 clutch and flywheel. I have not had any problems with it, but have heard of it not liking hard launches and shifts and will give you the clutch stuck to the floor problem. Again. I have never had these problems, but if/when I need to replace the clutch, it will not be an LS7 one. Do a lot of searching here on the forum as our vendors sell a lot of different clutch setups and there are a lot of reviews.

Good luck in your search,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 AM
NassauBlue98
Pro

Originally Posted by LV Vette
NassauBlue98,

I have a 99 with a supercharger and put in the LS7 clutch and flywheel. I have not had any problems with it, but have heard of it not liking hard launches and shifts and will give you the clutch stuck to the floor problem. Again. I have never had these problems, but if/when I need to replace the clutch, it will not be an LS7 one. Do a lot of searching here on the forum as our vendors sell a lot of different clutch setups and there are a lot of reviews.

Good luck in your search,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Thanks. I ended up going with a Centerforce clutch and flywheel. So far very pleased. I have tried the OZ700, Spec 3, LS7, and this is by far the best compromise for power handling and driveability. We'll see how things go as I stack some miles on it.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:34 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NassauBlue98
Thanks. I ended up going with a Centerforce clutch and flywheel. So far very pleased. I have tried the OZ700, Spec 3, LS7, and this is by far the best compromise for power handling and driveability. We'll see how things go as I stack some miles on it.
I am seriously considering the Centerforce set up before I do my header/cam upgrade. Where did you purchase yours?

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheels... LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7?

Quick Reply: Flywheels... LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7?