C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC issues, re-indexing actuators, driver side passenger side blowing hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Jackal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HVAC issues, re-indexing actuators, driver side passenger side blowing hot

This is just an informational thread for those who are having (or will have) problems with their HVAC system blowing hot on either the driver's side or the passenger side. My thanks and gratitude goes out to JR_Vette for finding and posting the fix for this issue.

This is his thread with all the information you will need:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=Hvac+actuator

I had this issue with my 1998 coupe. I was getting the B0365, B0367, and B0446 codes. I was also getting hot air from the passenger side and warm air from the drivers side. These codes indicated that my actuator on the passenger side was haywire. SO...I had to remove the dash pad to get to the actuator. (BTW, to all you whiners about removing the dash, it is really easy to do). So I pulled the passenger side and opened it up. The main gear was almost completely split in two. YIKES! I then decided to pull the driver's side while I had the dash pad off. Low and behold it was cracked also! It was not as bad as the passenger side, but it was cracked.

So now for the fix. Good thing my dad had purchased a front clip from a 98 coupe which included both actuators. We pulled them and made sure to perform the re-index procedure on both of them, also ensuring they were not cracked. I installed the two "new" actuators and then decided to test the fix before putting the dash back into place. I turned on the car and then the AC. I was able to see both of the actuators go through their test pattern, and both of them work great! I ran through a series of tests to ensure they were working properly and it was really neat to see them work with the climate controls. The passenger side temp changer worked like it was supposed to, as well as the main temp controls.

I did notice however that with the entire system on 60 degrees the passenger side was ice cold while the driver side was luke-warm. Both actuators ARE working properly and there are no codes. There were some posts in some of the related threads about why this happens and the theory about being low on freon seems to be the correct answer. The passenger side gets the atomized freon first, and with out enough to cool the entire evaporator the driver side is subsequently warm. I am going to test this theory tonight when my dad comes over with his freon kit. I will let you know!

I hope this helps someone!

Update:

Ok, I had my father come over tonight and we filled the system. Guess what? All is well! The extra freon fixed the rest of the issue. I put everything back together and it is working like a champ!

Last edited by Jackal; 06-19-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated orig. post.

Quick Reply: HVAC issues, re-indexing actuators, driver side passenger side blowing hot