C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help***Tire Pressure Sensors*** How to Delete out on a 99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Help***Tire Pressure Sensors*** How to Delete out on a 99 FRC

Is there away to delete the TPS (Tire Pressure Sensor) warning messages on the DIC for 1999 FRC ??

Tired of getting TPS error messages looking for away around the issue.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2008, 04:38 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope ... can only be deleted on 2001 through 2004 Corvettes ... it became a BCM "option" when the 2001 Z06 came out.

Sorry

Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Nope ... can only be deleted on 2001 through 2004 Corvettes ... it became a BCM "option" when the 2001 Z06 came out.

Sorry

Can I put a 2001 up BCM and PCM in my 1999 FRC ???
Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Can I put a 2001 up BCM and PCM in my 1999 FRC ???
Anything is possible .... but it would be a PITA .... and I suspect it would cost more to buy both a PCM and a BCM and get them programmed to work in your car than to just buy 4 TPMS and put them in the car.

Is it the cost of the TPMS, or is there some other reason you don't have them installed (won't fit tires ... whatever ....) ...... there arer a few alternatives less drastic than replacing both the PCM and BCM.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Anything is possible .... but it would be a PITA .... and I suspect it would cost more to buy both a PCM and a BCM and get them programmed to work in your car than to just buy 4 TPMS and put them in the car.

Is it the cost of the TPMS, or is there some other reason you don't have them installed (won't fit tires ... whatever ....) ...... there arer a few alternatives less drastic than replacing both the PCM and BCM.

PCM is locked and had battery acid leak down the side and corroded everything up pretty good.

I'll have to look at the pin assignments for the 2001 vs 1999 and see if there is a bunch of differences.

I don't see why a 2001 BCM won't work in a 1999 as the 1999 - 2001 share the same PCM.

Maybe someone has done this already.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:49 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

I've thought about it a little bit .... about the only "bump in the road" I can think of is how you'll get the BCM programmed .....

If you take it to a dealer and they use the "normal" way to program the BCM ... it'll end up with 1999 software (if it would even load) because when the dealer puts your VIN into the TIS it will return 1999 software ....

So, either you will have to pay the dealer to "manually" configure the BCM as a 2001 with your VIN and the options that you want ....

Or, you'll need a Tech2 to do the programming and configuring yourself.

If another answer hits me I'll post again .....

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I've thought about it a little bit .... about the only "bump in the road" I can think of is how you'll get the BCM programmed .....

If you take it to a dealer and they use the "normal" way to program the BCM ... it'll end up with 1999 software (if it would even load) because when the dealer puts your VIN into the TIS it will return 1999 software ....

So, either you will have to pay the dealer to "manually" configure the BCM as a 2001 with your VIN and the options that you want ....

Or, you'll need a Tech2 to do the programming and configuring yourself.

If another answer hits me I'll post again .....

Thanks for help. I have to get a new PCM so I'm hoping that the local shop guys that I know will be able to do it.

They have a Tech II. My vette is a 2001 so we could use that VIN to initially program the BCM for the 1999 FRC and then manually change the VATS info so that the BCM and PCM talk to each other and then code out the options we don't need.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Not sure why you would care if the PCM is locked or not. The PCM has nothing to do with the TPMS. Why don't you just fix the car so it works properly instead of looking for expensive solutions to screw it up.

Bill
Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Thanks for help. I have to get a new PCM so I'm hoping that the local shop guys that I know will be able to do it.

They have a Tech II. My vette is a 2001 so we could use that VIN to initially program the BCM for the 1999 FRC and then manually change the VATS info so that the BCM and PCM talk to each other and then code out the options we don't need.

I didn't make my point clear enough ... if you program the BCM as a 1999 then you LOOSE the option to turn off the TPMS .... which was kinda the point of the game ......

The BCM (and therefore the PCM) have to be programmed as a 2001.

What might work is if you take the VIN of a real 2001 (You could use mine) and use that to program the PCM and BCM. Once they are programmed, manually change the VIN to your correct VIN and then install them in the car. Now you have a BCM that is a 2001 so you can turn off the TPMS system.

Does that make sense ... even I'm getting confused ...

Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure why you would care if the PCM is locked or not. The PCM has nothing to do with the TPMS. Why don't you just fix the car so it works properly instead of looking for expensive solutions to screw it up.

Bill
I think he is saying that he needs to replace the PCM for two reasons ...

* It has been damaged by battery acid
* It was locked and has an unknown tune ... and given ajg1915's penchant for f**king with anything that isn't literally "nailed down" in his car it's gotta be driving him nuts to not be able to "play" with the "tune"

then he's making the illogical leap to the question "Well couldn't I replace the BCM at the same time and "fix" the TPMS issue ...."

Agreed, totally irrational ... but at least ajg1915 is fun to discuss this with. Like me ... he knows just enough to be truly dangerous ....

Even crazier ... he's already converted the car from an Auto to an M6, and is somewhere along in a project to turn his coupe into an FRC ... check out his profile ... he's just crazy enough to try this .... I admit it's kinda like goading the "dumb" kid to jump off a roof ... but then that's my personality .... I'll always be the one in the crowd yelling "jump" ....

Last edited by BlackZ06; 06-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Bill
Hi Bill,

Not looking for expensive solutions to screw up the car. Had a bunch of problems with the car due to some asshat not properly installing blower fan that caused the air-conditioner to leak all over the BCM and interior of car.

As a result of all of this the car got column lock and was sent to the dealer who did the latest fix, however when they went to reprogram the car it got all screwed up because the PCM was locked.

Now the remotes can not be programmed nor do they work. The 1999 FRC has the passive key fobs which are pretty expensive, etc ...

Since the PCM has to be replaced as part of it's overhaul so that a new tune can be done since it's getting heads / cam, headers, CAI, etc ...

I thought now is the time to clean up this and the rest of the problems.

The car has been stripped down to the frame. All of the body panels, suspension, brakes and drive train have been removed.

The frame was covered in rust and corrosion from salt damage and battery acid damage. Once it's all clean up and painted I'll start putting it back together.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I think he is saying that he needs to replace the PCM for two reasons ...

* It has been damaged by battery acid
* It was locked and has an unknown tune ... and given ajg1915's penchant for f**king with anything that isn't literally "nailed down" in his car it's gotta be driving him nuts to not be able to "play" with the "tune"

then he's making the illogical leap to the question "Well couldn't I replace the BCM at the same time and "fix" the TPMS issue ...."

Agreed, totally irrational ... but at least ajg1915 is fun to discuss this with. Like me ... he knows just enough to be truly dangerous ....

Even crazier ... he's already converted the car from an Auto to an M6, and is somewhere along in a project to turn his coupe into an FRC ... check out his profile ... he's just crazy enough to try this .... I admit it's kinda like goading the "dumb" kid to jump off a roof ... but then that's my personality .... I'll always be the one in the crowd yelling "jump" ....

Geez, thanks for the kind words and PM

Just trying to find a better way. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Get notified of new replies

To Help***Tire Pressure Sensors*** How to Delete out on a 99 FRC

Quick Reply: Help***Tire Pressure Sensors*** How to Delete out on a 99 FRC