C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone solve the A-Pillar leak yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Anyone solve the A-Pillar leak yet?

I am having trouble with my a pillar leak. I am trying to find some pictures of how this stuff comes apart. It is looking like I need to pull the metal retainer that holds the weather stripping off the car as well as the black plastic triangle above the drivers door. I am trying to figure out how all of this comes apart. I removed about 1/2 of it last night, but it is looking like I need to pull all the B-pillar stuff as well to get this off. Does anyone know how it goes together? My leak is coming from water off the windshield and it is coming throught right by the plastic triangle and the metal retainer and going into the interior A-pillar molding where it puddles until there is enough to start dripping down the inside of the door, and onto the door sill / foot well area.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

TTT No one has pulled this stuff apart?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Not sure what the "B" pillar had to do with the "A" pillar leaking.

The "A" pillars come off very easy by pulling on them from the sides at the top. Just give them a hard yank, they held by (3) metal clips.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Sigforty,

Photos would do wonders to explain what you are trying to do. Even if no one here can help, your photos might be handy for someone else that ends up with the same problem as yours.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Chears!

Eric D
Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
richieice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through the same issue right now. Can not figure out how trhe water is getting in!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
dissediver
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aaaaa
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Had the windshield replaced on my car last year and both A pillars have leaked after that. The glass shop has taken the weather strip out several times on both sides and tried several different types of glue, etc trying to stop the leaks but to no avail. I watched the guy attempt the repair each time. The weatherstrip is one piece back to the B pillar and he had all of it off several times. The leak can be any where along the weather strip as the water can run down the channel behind the weather strip. At the bottom of the A pillar there is a hole in the bottom of the strip. If you push your finger into the bottom you should feel the hole. There is also a channel molded into the A pillar strip that the window guy thinks is supposed to channel water off to the door weather strip when the door is closed.

Bill
Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I had a leak on the driver side where water was coming in under the A pillar trim, running down under the kick panel and getting the carpet wet in front of the seat.
I pulled the trim off, put 3M flexible caulking (black strips that never harden) around all the clip openings and any other fastener holes I could find and the leak has not come back.
Fixed mine. Maybe it will work for you.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
concretejungle
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Had the trim replaced over the door/front window(told that would cure the problem) and the darn thing still leaks.
I was there for the replacement and still can't figure where the water is getting in.
Drips on my dead pedal.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

I am going to take some pics tonight of the area where I am seeing my leaks and try and post them up. I pulled some of it off the other night and tried to reseal it with silicone, but it is still leaking.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM
richieice
Instructor

ok pulling off more molding tonight to see whats going on. had windshield replaced about 6 mos ago. starting to think this is something we all have in common. going to pull everything off, start low with tghe hose and see what I can do. worst case take it back to the place bring back to windshield guy. One question though. if the water is staying on the outside of windshield all the way till it gets to the bottom, is the windshield whats leaking?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

My leak is at the top of this plastic triangle piece. It is coming through the channel down the windshield, but when it his this piece it comes through at the metal a-pillar behind the molding.

Sorry, but I do not have the inside molding off right now since I need my gauge pod to drive. I had it off this weekend and could see where the water was coming through just above the triangle piece.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
richieice
Instructor

I pulled everything off and it is pouring out from behing the pillar A/C vent on both sides. Taking to a windshield guy on Tuesday. Had the windshild replaced about a year ago and I think it has been leaking for a while.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Putting my new trim on for the targa conversion I took great care to seal everything so my fingers are crossed. My steps:

1. Use rubber cement type auto adhesive to mount A-pillar molding
2. Install metal run channes with "dum dum" which is automotive sealant
3. Install all screws with dum dum to seal them like OEM
4. Install weather stripping
5. Run bead of winshield sealant between run channel and A-pillar.

My glass guy said typically water is getting behind the weather stripping and comming down the run channel.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Ok, I pulled everything apart today to start fixing it. I had to pull the weatherstripping, the metal piece that holds it and the window reveal molding. I ended up breaking the reveal molding as I was cleaning the glue, and sealing foam strip off it. I plan on trying to order a new one come Monday. I took some pictures as I have been pulling everything apart. I also removed the plastic triangle from the bottom front corner of the A-pillar. I purchased some 3M Strip-caulking to help seal everything back up. I used it to reattach the triangle sealing around and behind it. As soon as I get the reveal molding in I will continue with my progress report.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Ok, I managed to get the trim of the car and get to the triangle that is around the trouble spot. Here are some pics of that triangle.

This one shows a good shot of all the crap on the A-pillar at the top of the triangle where I have my leak.

And here is my cleanup repair so far. I pulled the piece off, which is held by two screws. I cleaned it up and then use my 3M strip-caulking to seal it up and reattach it.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Hmmm...my car has the same problem. Only happens in hard rain storms though.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone solve the A-Pillar leak yet?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 PM
wanttospeed
Racer

I had the same problem on my Z. After several times to find it, I finally did. It end up being where the A pillard meets the roof. I pulled down the headliner and saw the water trail. I ended up resealing my windshield molding, also resealing the rain gutter. While I was at it, I also shot some sealer from the headliner side upto the windshield seals. No more leaks.

It all started when my local dealership replaced my drivers side rain gutter due to a crack.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have a leak too but i believe it is with the roof seal where it creates a water drain.

Seems like the rubber needs to be lubed with the gm silicon.

Leaks a beed of water right in at the spot where the window begins to angle.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

For those with Z06s the window reveal molding part numbers have changed. My 2001 had part numbers 10422996 and 10422997 on it. GM has some new numbers so if you break one like I did here are the new numbers for the Hardtop Z06 molding 10331562 R.H. and 10331563 L.H.

Quick Reply: Anyone solve the A-Pillar leak yet?