C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the AC Condenser? (It's clogged pretty good) Help!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 AM
bkimbel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Condenser partly clogged on 96

If the condensor only has average small debris accumulation, then a quick blow and squirt with an air hose and garden hose may help - but when the debris accumulation includes a half cup of kitty litter, crud grass clippings etc - then the gains of a proper cleaning are well worh it.
This week, my wife is driving her mom around town, while they are fingerprinting merchandise in many stores. That "leaves" me the 96 Corvette to drive to and from work and on sales calls. She has complained from time to time that "the car was too hot".

With temperatures in the high 90s this week, I noticed that driving in Tallahassee traffic, and particularly at stop lights, the A/C would warm, then start blowing almost hot air. Water temperature seems within proper ranges.

Then I found this thread.

Last night before bed, I looked under the car, and saw the condenser had a lot of debris accumulation, with the lion's share to the right side. I have a new detailing brush, and used it to try to clean the condenser by sweeping down from the top to the bottom. What a pile of CRAP had accumulated over the years!

When I swept up the POC, it looks like I removed enough fibrous material to make a medium sized bird's nest!

Looking through the A/C pipe port, I can also see a number of leaves next to the radiator, with some smaller stuff stuck to the radiator.

I'm looking forward to the commute this morning. I expect that the A/C will perform better.

I'll be testing this morning and afternoon, then will attempt removal of all that I can from the radiator and condenser over the weekend.

Thanks for all of the detail. I'm hoping not to have to pull any large components just for cleaning.

Bill Kimbel
Tallahassee
96 Coupe.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I made this tool so I could slide it up between rad. and condensor. I can use water and air with this tool. I blow it out about every 3 months. I have a pit in my shop so getting under the vette to use the tool is easy. I made a wire mesh guard and installed to keep out the big stuff.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,209 Likes on 771 Posts

Right after my C5 purchase in 9-14, I looked underneath at the front of the A/C condenser and saw a lot of stuff. So, I hooked up my work shop vacuum to an L shaped nozzle with very soft brush at the end and gently ran it over the fins. It sucked out the debris. When I used the wet approach in other vehicles, I soaked the condenser in Dawn Ultra soap (the best degreaser/de-waxer for the bucks), let it sit for about an ½ hour then sprayed from the front end of the condenser. Never had to remove anything. Never had an A/C or radiator issue using these methods.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

You can move it up without taking it out..Mine is filled with oil due to a bad fitting on my catch can. There is no way I could clean it with anything but scrubbing or get another one.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
bkimbel
5th Gear

Default Results of cleaning condenser

Update on the light cleaning I did.

Yesterday on the way to work, I kept the A/C on MAX - Recirculate, and measured 45 degrees at the A/C outlet into the cabin.

Also found that the engine temperature never got above 205 degrees (in traffic) all day, when it had been hitting 220 in traffic.

I am now cautiously optimistic, and my wife wants her ride back!

Bill Kimbel
Tallahassee
96 Coupe, 70K miles
Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM
bkimbel
5th Gear

Default Wire mesh guard?

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I made this tool so I could slide it up between rad. and condensor. I can use water and air with this tool. I blow it out about every 3 months. I have a pit in my shop so getting under the vette to use the tool is easy. I made a wire mesh guard and installed to keep out the big stuff.
I thought of the wire mesh idea as well when looking at large leaves in between the radiator and condenser.

What did you actually use? Something like 1/2 inch rabbit wire, or more like window screen?

How about connection points?

Thanks for any help!

Bill Kimbel
Tallahassee, FL
96 Coupe, 70K miles
Old 06-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I had that before which helped catch some of the bigger stuff. Some used zip ties other used self tapping screws and other mounted it to some factors screw spots.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Default How do you remove the AC Condenser? (It's clogged pretty good) Help!

The problem with R-134 is that it's a carcinogenic. So you really don't want to breathe it if you can help it. R-12 worked better and was actually safer. The REAL problem was that DuPont was about to have their patent expire so they got a bunch of dill weed greenie lobbyists to push for a ban since they wouldn't have the exclusive anymore and that would drive the price down. They used the excuse that it harms the ozone layer. Two problems with this. R-12 is heavier than the air around you so it actually settled down not up. Thus it could not get to the ozone to damage it. But even if you miracled it up there and you could get every ounce ever produced up there it would do less damage than one active volcano does in 2 days. There are typically 12-14 active volcanoes on the face of the earth at any given time. You do the math. As with a lot of "environmental" causes if you follow the money it explains the poor science. R-12 was cheaper, safer, worked better and at a lower pressure.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
The problem with R-134 is that it's a carcinogenic. So you really don't want to breathe it if you can help it. R-12 worked better and was actually safer. The REAL problem was that DuPont was about to have their patent expire so they got a bunch of dill weed greenie lobbyists to push for a ban since they wouldn't have the exclusive anymore and that would drive the price down. They used the excuse that it harms the ozone layer. Two problems with this. R-12 is heavier than the air around you so it actually settled down not up. Thus it could not get to the ozone to damage it. But even if you miracled it up there and you could get every ounce ever produced up there it would do less damage than one active volcano does in 2 days. There are typically 12-14 active volcanoes on the face of the earth at any given time. You do the math. As with a lot of "environmental" causes if you follow the money it explains the poor science. R-12 was cheaper, safer, worked better and at a lower pressure.

Don't expect any logic deficit "green extremists" to understand.

I remember in the early 70's I quit the Sierra Club when they went anti-nuclear. And that is "green" energy.

Maybe we can just pass a law to ban volcanoes?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Vetteyhenderson
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkimbel
I thought of the wire mesh idea as well when looking at large leaves in between the radiator and condenser.

What did you actually use? Something like 1/2 inch rabbit wire, or more like window screen?

How about connection points?

Thanks for any help!

Bill Kimbel
Tallahassee, FL
96 Coupe, 70K miles

Bill –

Just an FYI for you – a window screen measures out to be just about an 18x14 wire mesh – in other words, 18 wires per inch vertically and 14 wires per inch horizontally. What you are looking for here has to be finer. I would think something around a 30 x 30 ( http://www.bwire.com )– 30 wires per inch in each direction may do the trick? It is a personal preference of what you are looking to regulate, but this is my opinion. GL.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
Geez, that urban myth still around?

http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...nt_history.htm

Oxygen and nitrogen have different densities, but that does not keep them from being well mixed in the atmosphere.

Here's a graph of R12 concentration in the atmosphere. The ban on R12 is having the desired effect.

Last edited by Czarvette; 07-19-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

And now for an on- topic reply:

Any HVAC supply store sells AC condenser fin rakes to clean debris out of condenser fins and straighten bent fins. About $10. You might also consider picking up condenser cleaner, basically a detergent HVAC techs use to clean dirt and gunk off AC condensers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you remove the AC Condenser? (It's clogged pretty good) Help!