C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Kevin Conway
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune question.

Hey guys whats up?. about a month ago I brought my car to Thunder Racing to have a H/C install. I went with the TR 230/224 reverse split cam and PRC 5.3 2.5 heads milled to 60cc. When Thunder Racing was tuning my car he said that the car was picking up a knock and retarting my timing. He thought maybe it was a false knock so he backed the timing down. When he done this and did another dyno run he said the knock went away therfore he said it was not a false knock and that the knock module was picking up a real noise. He said the most likely cause of the knock is from detonation. Saying that the compression might be to high and causing this to happen. It dyno'ed at 389 at the rear wheels but he told be that he has a safe tune on my car because of the detonation. He said the timing is only about 75% of where he would like it so the engine has more power there but just not able to use it. Do u guys have any thoughts on my situation. I hate knowing that I have more power there and cant use it. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds right to me. Milled heads and an aggressive cam is means for detonation. Other things that could cause detonation are carbon build up on the pistons, too high heat range plug. Low octane. That's why it's nice to have tuning software. You have to take the time to learn some things about it but it's well worth the investment in time and money. You can log and make changes as needed after investigating and trying different things. If they didn't degree the cam in, your valve timing could be off and building cylinder pressure too early or something.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Kevin Conway
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. Thanks for the input. I quess I have to do a little process of elimination
Old 09-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

new tuner time ide say ! Cause i bet hes not doing something right

389 rwhp is terrible for heads and cam

Heck im at 381 with just bolt ons with my z
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM
lar66BB
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default tune

Too much compression for todays gas. Get some Torco concentrate
and add about a gt. and the knock should go away. You have 11.2 cr
with a stock head gasket. Thinner of course would be higher.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno tune question.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune question.