C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad radio reception on my '99 C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad radio reception on my '99 C5

I get very bad radio reception. AM radio is virtually none existent. My antenna is in the front windshield. Any suggestions or fix ideas?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo
I get very bad radio reception. AM radio is virtually none existent. My antenna is in the front windshield. Any suggestions or fix ideas?

I'm not an AV expert but I believe the symptoms you have are indicative of a bad antenna circuit issue, expecially since AM doesnt come in. Might be a chafed antenna wire or something wrong receiver circuit.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Shore
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the deal with the C5's and there dual ant?

I notice the one in the windshield and then I have the rear fender one.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Corvette_Brett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is alot of info on this in the audio sect. But ill try to explain.... If u have a after market h/u... The problem is the head unit does not supply voltage to the ant. Booster... On the stock head unit.... On a.m. The booster box draws signal from the front ant. That has its on power supply about 7.5 volts. On f.m it switches to the rear and with the help of a 12volt constant and a 5 volt switched (both coming from the head unit) u get a f.m. Signal

if u have the stock head unit and have no signal id check voltage at the booster box. Its located near the seatbelt retract.... Hope this atleast helps
Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo

AM section of most car radio units are bad to start. These are no different. The FM section is different and there is a antenna booster that can fail. It is run off the back window. The car has two Antenna and I know I replaced the booster with the part from Gene at GMpartshouse.com and I have a great FM. The part is hidden by the interior pastic moldings that are above your head and run from the driver to the pass. side.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 AM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where exactly is the antenna booster? I'm confused, is the front windsheild used for one radio band (i.e. FM) and the rear defroster used for another (i.e. AM)?

Get notified of new replies

To Bad radio reception on my '99 C5

Quick Reply: Bad radio reception on my '99 C5