C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 vette abs, traction control,service vehicle soon lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 AM
matcharino
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 vette abs, traction control,service vehicle soon lights

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum and I have a quick question. I have a 1997 corvette coupe w 52k miles onit. On the way to a car show today, my service vehicle soon came on on the dic, plus my abs and traction control lights on the dash all at the same time. With the trction control light on , I wasn't able to turn on or off my traction control on or off. Does anyone know what this means and how much to have it fixed. Am I totally screwed at this point. If anyone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I could possibly be your Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Have you pulled the codes? If they are C1287 and C1288. It's the SWPS.
HTH
Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Did the message come back on after you turned it off and then back on? (the car I mean)
Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default do this procedure & post the codes you get

with the key in the on position, but the engine not running
push and release the reset button until all messages cleared
next push and HOLD button #4
next push and release button #1 four times while holding button #4
When first engaged the on-board diagnostics go into an "automatic" mode which shows all parameters: PCM-TCS-RTD-BCM-IPC-radio-HVAC-LDCM-RDCM-SCM-RFA. If there are no problems, you will see "no more codes" on the ICP display. The computer will show two kinds of codes, "current" and "history," designated "C" or "H". A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the system whose module is displaying data. A history code indicates a past problem. When the screen displays "manual diagnostics," select the desired module by pressing the "options" button to go forward or the "trip" button to go back. Press "gages" to go forward or "fuel" to go back. To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press "E/M".
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM
matcharino
4th Gear

Default I turned the car back on

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
Did the message come back on after you turned it off and then back on? (the car I mean)
Hey thanks for writing back so soon, yes I did turn the car on and off and it did that, plus I had an hour ride back home, so the lightswent of then right before the ride ended an hour later the lights came back on.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM
matcharino
4th Gear

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I could possibly be your Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Have you pulled the codes? If they are C1287 and C1288. It's the SWPS.
HTH
when I get a day off, I'll pull the codes, thank you. at least w winter coming i can take my time geting this resolved. I'll let my baby sleep soundly in storage for now .
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
matcharino
4th Gear

Thank you for that indepth instructions, I
ll check the codes in a few days when I get back from work.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
yamahajo
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10,-'13
I believe in the Beer Fairy

TTT - same thing happened to me on the way to work today - I'll pull codes and see what I get!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 PM
lvcorvettechic
2nd Gear

Default This works for 2004 but engine running

Thank you so much for this awesome info--It turns out my problem is a 10 PCM - 1 code and I am going to google and see what that means because my two vette owner friends don't know but say a sensor of some kind. However it passed the smog check yesterday. So if you know more please pass it on
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by lvcorvettechic
Thank you so much for this awesome info--It turns out my problem is a 10 PCM - 1 code and I am going to google and see what that means because my two vette owner friends don't know but say a sensor of some kind. However it passed the smog check yesterday. So if you know more please pass it on
That is not a code. That is a message that you have 1 code in the PCM section of the diagnostics. A PCM code will have this type of format: P#### AA.

Bill
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
lvcorvettechic
2nd Gear

Default Codes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is not a code. That is a message that you have 1 code in the PCM section of the diagnostics. A PCM code will have this type of format: P#### AA.

Bill
Ok, so since I ran the diagnostic I have not seen the message again and the manual says if the message does continue see the dealer but maybe I got lucky? Either way I will have to put off further investigation until tomorrow. Thanksy again!

Gina

Get notified of new replies

To 97 vette abs, traction control,service vehicle soon lights

Quick Reply: 97 vette abs, traction control,service vehicle soon lights