C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper banjo bolt

Old 10-19-2008, 05:51 PM
MJD
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caliper banjo bolt

I'm doing a rotor upgrade and decided to pull the calipers so I could paint them. The question I have is once I remove the bolt do I need to plug it somehow to prevent the fluid from running out, or simply elevate it and tie it to the control arm or shock. Will simply elevating it prevent the fluid from running out? I just want to see what needs to be done before I end up making a mess.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW!!!! DO NOT let the fluid run out and drain the master cylinder dry. Once you let air enter the BPMV, you will need to have the dealer power bleed the system using a TECH II!!

Autozone and or Advance sell some tapered small rubber plugs "for brake systems" that you can insert into the banjo fitting or into brake lines and seal it up. I have two different size packages that I have used for years. They work very well.

See if you can find them before you start.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 AM
MJD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW!!!! DO NOT let the fluid run out and drain the master cylinder dry. Once you let air enter the BPMV, you will need to have the dealer power bleed the system using a TECH II!!

Autozone and or Advance sell some tapered small rubber plugs "for brake systems" that you can insert into the banjo fitting or into brake lines and seal it up. I have two different size packages that I have used for years. They work very well.

See if you can find them before you start.
Thanks for the info. Will they be able to tell me which plugs will work, do I need to know the fitting size first?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you don't want to deal with leaking brake fluid and bleeding, the caliper painting kits by DUPLICOLOR (from AUTOZONE, CHECKER AUTO) do a fine job w/o tearing the calipers apart.
The kits come with a rather poor brush, so I'd suggest a better quality hobby type brush.
Some people only paint the visible portion of the calipers, but you can mask the caliper brake hoses/pads easily and paint both sides so they look factory.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
MJD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
If you don't want to deal with leaking brake fluid and bleeding, the caliper painting kits by DUPLICOLOR (from AUTOZONE, CHECKER AUTO) do a fine job w/o tearing the calipers apart.
The kits come with a rather poor brush, so I'd suggest a better quality hobby type brush.
Some people only paint the visible portion of the calipers, but you can mask the caliper brake hoses/pads easily and paint both sides so they look factory.
Thanks for the advice but I decided to pull them, sandblast and spray them with a two part epoxy paint (G2).
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
peebee_c5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use some bolts and the old crush washers. I think the bolt size is M10x50. There's a guy who does caliper powdercoating and regularly posts detailed bolt sizes.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest looking into a high temp clear coat. Brake dust can be very difficult to remove.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper banjo bolt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caliper banjo bolt