C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:31 PM
rayjerman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure....

About a 3 weeks ago my '98 had a loud tapping when I started it up and the oil pressure was about 10psi lower than normal. After a few days the tapping quit but the oil pressure was still 10psi lower. I then changed my oil and filter (Mobil 1 5w30 and Purolator Pure 1 filter) and my oil pressure went back up. Today I noticed as I was driving, my oil pressure has dropped about 10 psi again. The oil level is good, the oil life monitor is on 79%. I only have 1,500mi. on the new oil and filter. Engine has 32,000 mi. total. At operating temp. idling oil psi is around 19-20psi and driving at about 2,000 RPM it is around 29-30psi. It was around 38-40psi before it dropped. Has anyone had this problem? Or does anyone know what could cause this. Thanks...

[Modified by rayjerman, 3:33 AM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 12:38 AM
ZO6LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low Oil Pressure.... (rayjerman)

Two, and neither good...............
One, main bearing, and Two, oil pump.............
Was the Tapping, DULL sounding or like an oil starved lifter?????.
Dull, main, metallic, lifter...........
These things don't just HAPPEN for no reason, I suggest you getting it checked asap.......or you could be picking up pieces..............sorry. :eek:

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure....