C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake - Adjusted Shoes and still no brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Kens86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking Brake - Adjusted Shoes and still no brake

Hope someone can help. Searched the forum and did not find what I'm having trouble with. The shoes on both rear rotors are adjusted just to where they give a slight drag on the parking brake drum. When I manually push up on the brake engage tab that the cables are hooked to on either rear rotor just the slightest bit, the brakes works. When I pull up on the handle in the car the cables are not being pulled tight enough to engage the parking brakes. How do you take the slack out of the cables from the handle to the equalizer and or from the equalizer connection to the rear wheels?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kens86
Hope someone can help. Searched the forum and did not find what I'm having trouble with. The shoes on both rear rotors are adjusted just to where they give a slight drag on the parking brake drum. When I manually push up on the brake engage tab that the cables are hooked to on either rear rotor just the slightest bit, the brakes works. When I pull up on the handle in the car the cables are not being pulled tight enough to engage the parking brakes. How do you take the slack out of the cables from the handle to the equalizer and or from the equalizer connection to the rear wheels?
I have the FRC apart on the lift, I'll check it out and post up tomorrow.

Update. No real adjustment on cables, I guess if the cables get stretched you have to replace

Pictures

Last edited by ajg1915; 11-16-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Kens86
Instructor

That would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...rake-help.html

need to do mine as well..
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

here is a link to a members webpage...
If you have done #3, then look at #4..
When I adjust mine, I adjust so that I can barely get the rotors on. That ensures that I have full break applied whe the handle is at a 45 degree angle.
Have you adjusted yours enough is an outstanding question?

http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm
Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Kens86
Instructor

Thanks for the link. The parking brakes are adjusted as you described. My problem is with the cables between the handle and the parking brake engage lever. There just appears to be too much slack between those cables. I can see the cable move from the parking lever to the equalizer connection. The slack looks like it is either the cable between the brake lever and equalizer is too long or the two cables that go to each brake is too long. It worked somewhat before I changed the rotors. I'm wondering if I stretched or bent something when I was cycling the brake lever . I have an FSM and followed the instructions.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM me your email address and I will send you instructions in Word format with pics on how to adjust the cable.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by stormrider
PM me your email address and I will send you instructions in Word format with pics on how to adjust the cable.
can ya post it up??
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Kens86
Instructor

I did a little more looking and pulled the carpet back to see that the cable was connected to the handle. It looks like when I pull the brake lever the cable starts to move correctly then springs back. I'm going to pull the seat next weekend and look at the lever. Something is not right there.

Thanks for the pictures ajg1915. The one of the handle assembly is a big help. Does the cable pall unit have a large flathead type screw holding it to the handle? I wonder if that came loose and is not locked to the handle on mine? Will let you know what we find.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kens86
I did a little more looking and pulled the carpet back to see that the cable was connected to the handle. It looks like when I pull the brake lever the cable starts to move correctly then springs back. I'm going to pull the seat next weekend and look at the lever. Something is not right there.

Thanks for the pictures ajg1915. The one of the handle assembly is a big help. Does the cable pall unit have a large flathead type screw holding it to the handle? I wonder if that came loose and is not locked to the handle on mine? Will let you know what we find.
No problem, glad to help. I'm actually working on a little project with my car. Going to use C6 Brake handle and try to have a C6 cup holder fitted to my console.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
can ya post it up??
If someone can tell me how to post a Word with pics I will be happy too.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's another thing not mentioned- the parking brake mechanism's grease could be all gummed up and the ratcheting mechanism simply isn't catching. Particularly if your car is older. The heat from the tunnel cakes up the grease. This happened on my car.

So- what you can do is pull up center console and the carpet (and ideally the passenger seat). Use brake cleaner to clean the mechanism, then lube the hell out of it with some sort of machine oil.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Kens86
Instructor

Just got to work on the parking brakes and it was exactly as Stormrider said.

Pulled the passenger seat out and pulled the carpet back. Removed the 3 torx #40 bolts and disconnected the brake light switch wire. Turned the handle over to see the mechanism side, put some rags under it and sprayed the e handle unit with brake cleaner. 1/2 bolted it back in and worked the e brake handle and now I have a very tight parking brake!

Lube it with brake grease and put everything back. Took about 1.5 hours start to finish. Thanks for the information. It was a big help.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake - Adjusted Shoes and still no brake

Quick Reply: Parking Brake - Adjusted Shoes and still no brake