C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need How To Headlight Bulb Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Need How To Headlight Bulb Change

Found a lot of headlight motor/gears change/fix but only one other post I could find just changing bulbs. Looks like a simple headlights up but off, remove side cover, reach in and unplug; plug in new bulbs and replace side cover. Is it really that simple? And yeah I'll have latex gloves on to make sure I don't get finger oils on the bulb. Going with Sylvania Silverstars Ultras.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ght-bulbs.html
It is a tight fit to change the headlight bulbs.

1: Turn on your headlights to raise them up, then turn the **** back to parking to turn them off.

2: Remove the black plastic shroud around the light. I believe there are 3 screws on each side.

3. Reach your hand into the assembly from the inside of the car. This is where the tight fit is.

4. Make sure you have the OUTSIDE (low beam) bulb in your hand. You will have to do this by feel.

5. Turn the assembly counter-clockwise (if I remember right) and pull towards the rear of the car.

6. Pull the bulb out of the connector and replace with the new bulb.

7. Assembly is the reverse.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Is it really that simple?
Yep
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Simple, yes. Easy, not so much, not if you are a big guy with big hands. It's a really tight fit, so be prepared to get some scraps, cuts etc. I found that it helped when I removed the hood stop, rubber bumper thing. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jovette
Simple, yes. Easy, not so much, not if you are a big guy with big hands. It's a really tight fit, so be prepared to get some scraps, cuts etc. I found that it helped when I removed the hood stop, rubber bumper thing. Good luck!

Removed the hood stop, put on rubber medical type gloves and still could not get enough torque to loosen the outside bulbs (low beams). Got the high beams swapped out although I did drop one of the blue wire separators in the "black hole". Used the headlight adjustment screw to raise/lower lights and later realized I probably messed up the adjustment. So...now need how to on headlight adjustment. Hopefully I'll get my nephew (smaller hands) to swap out the outside bulbs for on Turkey day before sitting down for the feast.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Removed the hood stop, put on rubber medical type gloves and still could not get enough torque to loosen the outside bulbs (low beams). Got the high beams swapped out although I did drop one of the blue wire separators in the "black hole". Used the headlight adjustment screw to raise/lower lights and later realized I probably messed up the adjustment. So...now need how to on headlight adjustment. Hopefully I'll get my nephew (smaller hands) to swap out the outside bulbs for on Turkey day before sitting down for the feast.
If you moved the adjustment screws, then just turn on the headlights so they are aimed at a solid wall..garage door, etc. and adjust the screws until they are where you want them.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
If you moved the adjustment screws, then just turn on the headlights so they are aimed at a solid wall..garage door, etc. and adjust the screws until they are where you want them.
Believe you should be approximately 15' from the wall when completing the aiming process. Probably a good time to re-aim your fog lights while you're at it. (They usually are too low, from the factory)
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

How do you aim the Fog Lights??? Mine are pointing almost straight down!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by csdunaway
How do you aim the Fog Lights??? Mine are pointing almost straight down!
There is a torx screw, @ approximately 2:00 position next to the fog light if I remember correctly.........it's either 2:00 or 10:00 or maybe both, just don't recall right now. Screw in or out, up or down as you desire
Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by jovette
There is a torx screw, @ approximately 2:00 position next to the fog light if I remember correctly.........it's either 2:00 or 10:00 or maybe both, just don't recall right now. Screw in or out, up or down as you desire
Thanks, I will check that out!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

I guess my question should have been "how can you tell that you're not blinding oncoming traffic" just by looking at the lights on the wall.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

I guess my question should have been "how can you tell that you're not blinding oncoming traffic" just by looking at the lights on the wall.
Did you mess up the adjustment on both driver's and passenger's sides?
If, you only messed with one side, then simply adjust the messed up side to be the same as the other side when headlights are on high beam.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
CJ454
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I know this is an old thread but I tried to do this last night but did something before I found this posting that I wanted to ask about.

I wanted to put the lights up without having them on so I saw a black **** thing on the left of the light (looking at the front of the car to the back on the drivers side light. )

It said something like... to manually raise light remove and twist. But when I did nothing happened. The lights still go up and down as normal. So My question is what was this thing and and did I mess up any alignments?

I did not mess with the passenger side.

I still have to change the bulbs but how do you get the lights to stay up without the ding ding and the lights being on? If not ill just have to deal with it.

Thanx

CJ

Last edited by CJ454; 03-23-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

First, the black ***** on each side of the car behind the headlights are the headlight motors and yours most likely have the black rubber boot on each.

If you remove the boot(s) you will see the **** to turn on the end. You have to turn this **** a good bit before you will see any movement in the headlight being raised (and likewise when you are lowering the **** will appear to turn a good bit longer after the headlight appears to be fully lowered).

Anyway, using the stalk that controls your lights on the left of the steering wheel, if you turn only a half-turn you will see the headlights pop up but the lights will not come on. The lights do not light until you turn the stalk a full turn.

Either one of these processes should provide you access to take off the surrounds and get to the bulbs.

Last edited by AnteVenom; 03-23-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
CJ454
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When I turn the stock 1/2 only my running lights come on. I have to turn them all the way on then turn the stock back 1/2 way and the parking/fog lights stay on but the lights go off.

am I missing something?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CJ454

am I missing something?

Most likely the MFS on it's way out.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

When I turn the stock 1/2 only my running lights come on. I have to turn them all the way on then turn the stock back 1/2 way and the parking/fog lights stay on but the lights go off.

am I missing something?
I believe I may have mis-said what I meant. Try turning the lights on son they pop up lit and then back off the stick 1/2 turn. I think this then leaves the lights up but turns off the lamps.

SOrry for the confusion. My headlights are out of the car so I couldn't run out and get it straight ahead of time
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

I still have to change the bulbs but how do you get the lights to stay up without the ding ding and the lights being on? If not ill just have to deal with it.
Interesting info in the owners manual............check it out.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...98corvette.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Need How To Headlight Bulb Change

Quick Reply: Need How To Headlight Bulb Change