C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Battery In C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Floyde
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Battery In C5

Are there any unusual problems or challenges in replacing a battery in my 2004 Vette? ie loss of codes, etc. I have a lead acid battery and will be replacing it with an Optima battery.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
bluvette79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just make sure the connections are tight. if it is not in a daily driver, you might consider a battery tender to keep the charge up. optimas do not like getting discharged. if you are a little short on $ as i usually am, you might read some "battery replacement" threads after you do a search. i put an autozone gold in mine and it is just doing fine. i also use a battery tender.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 886 Likes on 609 Posts

I just replaced my old AC Delco 78/7yr with another ACD 78/7yr and it was an easy 10 minute job. The old battery was weak but didn't leak. The new one was even easier to install with the littel side loops/handles. Dropped it right in, tightened the wire bolts and hold down bolt and away we went. I believe it's a 13ml for the hold down bolt and 8ml socket for the wires. You will need a long extension for the hold down bolt and a short thin socket for the wires or a closed/open ended 8ml wrench. You will need to push pretty hard on the fuse box to fit the socket on to the positive terminal if you don't have an open ended 8ml handy. FYI

Then you just need to put your key in the ignition and hold down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the fob. The horn should beep and your fob should reset.

Last edited by Johnny Hardcore; 01-02-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

never had to reset a fob, its a pretty easy job 10 minutes, 13mm with long extension, being an 04 its top mount posts so prly a 10 mm for that

IMO dont waste ur money on the optima
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default battery

Had to change mine last spring. It does seem that the fuse box can cause some issues with getting the threads to line up correctly. Just make sure you finger tighten them first. One thing I can tell you is a weak battery can cause all kinds of weird gremlins that might make you think you have real problems. When my battery died, I heard a clicking under the hood. Even when I removed the battery, I still heard the noise! Go figure. When I put the new battery in, no issues whatsoever and I did not have to reprogram anything but the radio. I replaced mine with an AC Delco unit. I have heard that normal batteries do not last much longer than 3 years in these cars due to the heat. I have heard mixed reviews with Optimas so I really do not know what to think with them.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

origional ac delco in the 01 and car sits for weeks at a time sometimes and still fires right up

04 has top mount terminals so no messing around with sidepost and clearance issues from fuse box
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Dnealy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont waste your money on the optima. I sell them and im not at work so i can bash them. hahahahaha 1 in 2 come back defective. Get a standard battery.

Keep in mind only a few battery manu. in the whole country so they all come fro mthe same place generally. The only difference is the plastic case. example, johnson controls makes optimas, autozone, advane auto parts, and other places batteries.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

when you change the battery, set up a wire harness from another car to your corvette. ( I use two number 10 wires about 20 feet long, one black and one red.)
open both hoods, clip the positive of the donor car to your alternator positive terminal (the big red wire) and the other wire from engine ground to engine ground.
The other car will keep your car alive until the new battery is installed, and wires disconnected.
Note:
be extra careful when doing this, because the battery in the corvette will be charging when you disconnect. So, disconnect the negative wire first and it's a piece of cake.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The replacement procedure is not that different than any other car. If your concerned about your radio presets going away, then I would just write them down before you start.
As others have said, disconnect the negative cable first and re-connect the negative cable last. BTW, the wrench size for the side terminal bolts is 5/16". It has been 5/16" ever since GM first went to a side terminal battery and has remained so. I use a small 6 pt box-end wrench for the side terminals. That way I can't over-torque them.

BTW, I'm on my second Optima. My first one lasted over 5 years and wasn't dead but my voltage levels were dropping so I changed it as a precaution. I would recommend the 34/78 Optima.

P.S. If you hear some "clicking" sounds from the car when disconnecting/re-connecting the battery cables, this is normal. The sound is coming from various relays.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
when you change the battery, set up a wire harness from another car to your corvette. ( I use two number 10 wires about 20 feet long, one black and one red.)
open both hoods, clip the positive of the donor car to your alternator positive terminal (the big red wire) and the other wire from engine ground to engine ground.
The other car will keep your car alive until the new battery is installed, and wires disconnected.
Note:
be extra careful when doing this, because the battery in the corvette will be charging when you disconnect. So, disconnect the negative wire first and it's a piece of cake.

I just bought a new battery from Advance Auto and had them install it too. They connected a small battery to my lighter socket to keep the radio presets while they changed it.

By the way there is no reason to go with an Optima battery. Ratings are inferior to others and more costly.

I think the Optima mania came from the idea of leaky batteries on the early C5s and battery technology from many years ago. Any current battery should not have any concern over leaking. Like the "Red Top" type? Must be more valuable words

Be smart. Buy the best battery for the best value and it will not be an Optima by a very long shot, not even close.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
bluvette79
Pro

Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

It didn't take long for the Optima bashers to come out.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Use some baking soda on the tray and surrounding areas

I replaced mine with a 78 from Sams Club. I thoroughly doused the area under the tray (4 bolts to remove it) with a gallorn or two of warm water and a heavy dose of baking soda. Get the wires, vacuum lines and the metal and then rinse thoroughly. Had the infamous vacuum line deterioration and no change to any vents on the HVAC due to no vacuum to the switch under the dash. Go for it.BIGHANK
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
When I went to replace a battery in one of my C3s a couple years ago I was thinking "All right, now is the time to step up to an Optima" like I had read about.

Looking at the actual ratings in the store was a real eye opener compared to what people say.

As the military folk say these days "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!"

And I wanted people to think it through before spending money.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by minitech
When I went to replace a battery in one of my C3s a couple years ago I was thinking "All right, now is the time to step up to an Optima" like I had read about.

Looking at the actual ratings in the store was a real eye opener compared to what people say.

As the military folk say these days "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!"

And I wanted people to think it through before spending money.
Oh don't worry. You're not the only one. Not by a long shot. This thread is still young.

I've had good results with Optima. See post# 9.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Optima....Optima....Optima.....Optima... .Optima....Optima

Just replace with a 7Yr ACDelco Professional grade battery with 50 month full replacement warranty.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech

I just bought a new battery from Advance Auto and had them install it too. They connected a small battery to my lighter socket to keep the radio presets while they changed it.

By the way there is no reason to go with an Optima battery. Ratings are inferior to others and more costly.

I think the Optima mania came from the idea of leaky batteries on the early C5s and battery technology from many years ago. Any current battery should not have any concern over leaking. Like the "Red Top" type? Must be more valuable words

Be smart. Buy the best battery for the best value and it will not be an Optima by a very long shot, not even close.
I must have a good Red Top...going on 6 years with very strong starts on daily C5 driver.....got another in the mail shipping right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Battery In C5

Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

The Optima's respond, hold up better if kept fully charged. They don't like sitting around , as in a non daily driver. I didn't have good results with a red top. Three years and it was shot. AC Delco in the 98 Pace Car lasted 7 years. I am now running the Sears 7 year 78, with 5 years free replacement. No more Optimas for me.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bighank
I replaced mine with a 78 from Sams Club. I thoroughly doused the area under the tray (4 bolts to remove it) with a gallorn or two of warm water and a heavy dose of baking soda. Get the wires, vacuum lines and the metal and then rinse thoroughly. Had the infamous vacuum line deterioration and no change to any vents on the HVAC due to no vacuum to the switch under the dash. Go for it.BIGHANK
Sounds like my story. After replacing the original leaking battery, with one from Sam's Club, the replacement battery again leaked from the side post, after only 6 month. The vacuum lines were again damaged. After that I installed an Optima, which is still fine after 4 years. If the Optima eventually fails, I plan to replace it with an Optima, or other AGM battery or convert to top post cables. I still don't trust any side post battery.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
northernplus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whiteboy
The Optima's respond, hold up better if kept fully charged. They don't like sitting around , as in a non daily driver. I didn't have good results with a red top. Three years and it was shot. AC Delco in the 98 Pace Car lasted 7 years. I am now running the Sears 7 year 78, with 5 years free replacement. No more Optimas for me.
I have tried my best with jell cell batteries. Daily drivers. Make sure they are all on Battery Tenders periodically during high usage around town in summer (fans running all the time) and cold winter months. Could never receive more than 3 plus years out of any of them. The last exchange on the prorated program was just less than two years ago. Without looking at the warranty on their website again, I noticed that the prorate period was now shortened on new batteries or was completely dropped. They don't do that unless there have been many returns under that program.

This is the last one for me.

Norbert

Quick Reply: Replacing Battery In C5