C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC/Delco Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Rossi396
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC/Delco Battery Question

Guys:

2000 FRC with 13K. Can't figure out the "burned in" date code. Looks like one of the following:

600H9

609H9

000H9...?

AC/Delco says that if that first number is a "6," that it is DEFINITELY a 2006 battery. (Non-leaker I suppose)?

Is there any other way to tell the age of the battery? Just picked up the car in October and I don't want to replace my computer. I also have a bit of a hard time thinking the battery lasted nine years, although with the low miles, I guess that could be the case...

Serial Number is 143942

78-6yr

3666690556....?

That's all I can see!

Thanks in advance...

Rossi
Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Dave Sweatt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you're looking at the wrong number?
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/battery...y-warranty.jsp
How do I read the warranty date code on my battery?
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 094N means the battery was made in September 2004 in the New Brunswick factory.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Rossi396
Pro

I don't think so. There is absolutely nowhere on the battery that starts with a letter as in the link below...And Delco is telling me the opposite of this as well. ("First Number" is the year...?). I'm also thinking if that I should be looking for the "burned in" date code, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, I see only one that's burned in...

Originally Posted by Dave Sweatt
Looks like you're looking at the wrong number?
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/battery...y-warranty.jsp
How do I read the warranty date code on my battery?
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 094N means the battery was made in September 2004 in the New Brunswick factory.

Last edited by Rossi396; 01-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Can you track down the previous owner and ask?

Did you email AC Delco customer service with the serial #?

My guess is that it is not the OEM battery. If in fact it IS a 2006, then you may not need to replace it until 2013, as long as it is charged regularly.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Rossi396
Pro

I'm gonna email them. I did call, and they're "pretty sure" it's an '06. I put a trickle charger on it while it's hibernating but with all these posts about the leakers, I'm just nervous. I don't mind buying a new one, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good battery...! If all else fails I'll take it to my local dealer in the spring and see what he says. (Just don't want it to leak while charging).

By the way, I called the dealer that sold the car previously and they were very reluctant to help me with the previous owner! (Third owner car with 13K on it)!!

When did they stop manufacturing the leakers....?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dave68
Can you track down the previous owner and ask?

Did you email AC Delco customer service with the serial #?

My guess is that it is not the OEM battery. If in fact it IS a 2006, then you may not need to replace it until 2013, as long as it is charged regularly.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Unless Delco has changed the code system...

If you are worried about leaking, change the battery cables to a top post battery design like on the 04 models.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Rossi396
Pro

If they put that type of code on this battery, it's on the bottom...!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Unless Delco has changed the code system...

If you are worried about leaking, change the battery cables to a top post battery design like on the 04 models.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi396
I'm gonna email them. I did call, and they're "pretty sure" it's an '06. I put a trickle charger on it while it's hibernating but with all these posts about the leakers, I'm just nervous. I don't mind buying a new one, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good battery...! If all else fails I'll take it to my local dealer in the spring and see what he says. (Just don't want it to leak while charging).

By the way, I called the dealer that sold the car previously and they were very reluctant to help me with the previous owner! (Third owner car with 13K on it)!!

When did they stop manufacturing the leakers....?

Thanks.
The year 2001 was when they introduced the AGM (leakproof)batteries. In 2004, they went back to the non-AGM batteries, but this time they are made by Johnson Controls and as such are much stronger than the old leakers from 97-00. If yours is an 06, you have nothing to worry about.

Get notified of new replies

To AC/Delco Battery Question

Quick Reply: AC/Delco Battery Question