C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Window Problem help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 98 Window Problem help

My 98 recently developed a window gremlin. The window on the pass side won't roll down. When I press the button, I hear the relay click- and the headlights dim- but the window goes nowhere. Even if I push down on it while pressing the button- no joy. Am I looking at a new window motor, or a new door control module? If I do need a new motor, should I buy one with the track attached, or just the motor itself? Thanks to all in advance for the words of wisdom. -97C5
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 AM
kevin40zx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try beating on the doorpanel with your fist? I've read this can be a quick temporary fix. Might narrow your problem down too.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 AM
at88mph
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for the heck of it, open the door and look for the black loom that looks like an accordian. While pressing the down button, wiggle it and see if it'll go down. If that doesn't work, then beating on the door like kevin recommended won't hurt
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Tried smacking her around a bit- no joy. I can still hear that relay in the door clicking and the voltage on the gauge drops, but shes not moving. Is that loom inside the door panel or between the door and the body of the car near the hinge?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Yhis is a common problem on many GM vehicles.. I had to take the door inside panel off of my chevy blazer and bang on the window motor with a rubber hammer while holding down the button.. Banging on the panel with my fist did not work.. Have not had any problems in 3 years.. They just get stuck
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David426
Yhis is a common problem on many GM vehicles.. I had to take the door inside panel off of my chevy blazer and bang on the window motor with a rubber hammer while holding down the button.. Banging on the panel with my fist did not work.. Have not had any problems in 3 years.. They just get stuck
This is the only method that's worked for me. You need to pull the door panel, then the speaker. Through the speaker opening you can reach the motor housing. Hold the button while tapping a few times should free it. Unfortunately, it has been only a temporary fix for mine.

Info here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-problem.html
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 has done this twice since I've owned it. I just banged on the panel under the pull-bar a couple of times and voila!! The second time, I simply 'slammed' the door.

Slammed=closing door as hard as the schmuck with a honda accord would close his door!! LOL
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red88L98convert
My 98 has done this twice since I've owned it. I just banged on the panel under the pull-bar a couple of times and voila!! The second time, I simply 'slammed' the door.

Slammed=closing door as hard as the schmuck with a honda accord would close his door!! LOL
Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Common problem. Read this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-problem.html
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You might be able to get it unstuck by tapping on it for a few times, but once they start to mess up, you will probably need to replace the whole regulator assembly.
I have already replaced both on my 04, and they are still working.
The cables could be a problem, but most of the time the motor quits before the cables wear out.

Weak relays in the door control module could keep the windows from working, but on both of mine, the new regulator assembly fixed the problem. If you can hear the relay click, chances are that power is getting to the motor and it is just in a dead spot on the rotor. I have had that happen on starter motors also. If the engine tends to stop in the same place on the rotor a lot, eventually a dead spot will develop. Jarring the started motor with a hammer will move it just enough to pick up power again.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 Window Problem help

Quick Reply: 98 Window Problem help