C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Has anyone removed their steering wheel from a C5

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Default Need Help - Has anyone removed their steering wheel from a C5

Here's what we did. We removed the two #27 Torx screws from the back of the steering wheel (after disconnecting the battery) which allows the air bag to be removed from the center section of the steering wheel. We then disconnected the electrical connections from the air bag, which allows you to set the air bag aside. We removed the center nut that holds the wheel on. Then we attached a steering wheel puller to the wheel and tightened it down.

That's as far as we got. We used a ratchet and really tightened the puller. The wheel wouldn't budge. We used PB Blaster on the spline to hopefully loosen the wheel, no joy. After putting the wheel remover back on and tightening it back down, we used a hammer ant struck the center of the puller several times hoping to shake it loose.

Nothing seems to work. We tightened down the wheel puller so much that one of the two hooks, that go inside the cast center of the wheel, broke off. At this point we gave up and put everything back in place.

I just bought a new two tone steering wheel from Vette Essentials but I can't get the old wheel off.

Has anyone had a problem like this? The mechanic I was working with said he has never had a steering wheel stick like this before.

Is there something else holding the steering wheel on other than the main 7/8" (?) nut?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I may be wrong, but I want to say it needs a special steering wheel puller to get it off. Others may confirm ??
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
I may be wrong, but I want to say it needs a special steering wheel puller to get it off. Others may confirm ??
Not sure what you mean by 'special puller'. We were using a GM wheel puller.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
olftboy
Racer

I don't know of anything special that you need to do. I have pulled a 2002 wheel with a telescoping column with the following procedure. The non telescoping column references the same procedure. I am guessing you are working on a 2002 by your profile. This procedure is listed for 2000-2002..... let me know if I should look at a different year. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LMH4C5
Not sure what you mean by 'special puller'. We were using a GM wheel puller.
You are using the right puller... if it's the GM one with each leg having a little "foot" on it, then you're good. The steering wheel nut is the ONLY thing that holds the wheel on (besides the spline shaft) so if that nut is off, then all you need to worry about is pulling that wheel forward.

Here's the thing. Some of these wheels are a PAIN to get off. I removed mine two days ago and luckily, had no issues. After moderate tightening on the puller, it slowly slid forward. Other people, however, can break several legs in the process. Sounds like you did the basic steps... get it real tight, try some PB blaster, try whacking with a hammer... but, one thing you didn't say you tried, would be as follows:

When you get another set of legs, rig everything up again, put lots of tension onto the system (but not enough to break the legs again) and then, just let it sit for a day. The constant tension may help loosen things up over that time.

But ultimately... some wheels are just THAT stuck... doesn't mean you're necessarily doing anything wrong. Just get some new legs, try it again. Let the system sit for a while. See how that goes.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by olftboy
I don't know of anything special that you need to do. I have pulled a 2002 wheel with a telescoping column with the following procedure.

Thanks olftboy for the diagram. The diagram references three items to the wheel puller, I only had two of the three. I didn't have the steering column lock pin it refers to. I only had the two legs (J42120)and the puller itself (J1895-A). The diagram doesn't show where the column lock pin (J42640) goes or what it does. Can you shed any light on that?

Last edited by LMH4C5; 03-10-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
You are using the right puller... if it's the GM one with each leg having a little "foot" on it, then you're good. The steering wheel nut is the ONLY thing that holds the wheel on (besides the spline shaft) so if that nut is off, then all you need to worry about is pulling that wheel forward.

Here's the thing. Some of these wheels are a PAIN to get off. I removed mine two days ago and luckily, had no issues. After moderate tightening on the puller, it slowly slid forward. Other people, however, can break several legs in the process. Sounds like you did the basic steps... get it real tight, try some PB blaster, try whacking with a hammer... but, one thing you didn't say you tried, would be as follows:

When you get another set of legs, rig everything up again, put lots of tension onto the system (but not enough to break the legs again) and then, just let it sit for a day. The constant tension may help loosen things up over that time.

But ultimately... some wheels are just THAT stuck... doesn't mean you're necessarily doing anything wrong. Just get some new legs, try it again. Let the system sit for a while. See how that goes.
Thanks Jason...We did put a healthy dose of PB Blaster on the spline and we also hammered it really hard with a 5 lb sledge hammer several times. After each blow of the hammer we tried the tighten the puller again. Again, no joy.

Hadn't thought about letting it set overnight.

By the way, we also applied a heat flame to the spline to no avail.

Larry
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
olftboy
Racer

The diagram doesn't show where the column lock pin (J42640) goes or what it does. Can you shed any light on that?
I didn't use that tool either.(my steering column still locked at that time) Here is the note regarding J42640 and a pic from a website.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Big Al
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have the same problem I had. I had the special GM tool and could not get the wheel to budge. I ended up taking it to a pro. He had it 3 days. Said it was the worst wheel he ever worked on. He even used a pencil torch to finally get it to come off.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Al
Sounds like you have the same problem I had. I had the special GM tool and could not get the wheel to budge. I ended up taking it to a pro. He had it 3 days. Said it was the worst wheel he ever worked on. He even used a pencil torch to finally get it to come off.
I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the local stealership. I didn't mention to them that I already tried and couldn't break it loose.

You say you took it to a 'pro'. What kind of shop was it? And, did you get your old wheel back in one piece? My old wheel must be sent back and carries a $300.00 core charge if it's not usable. That scares me.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the local stealership. I didn't mention to them that I already tried and couldn't break it loose.

You say you took it to a 'pro'. What kind of shop was it? And, did you get your old wheel back in one piece? My old wheel must be sent back and carries a $300.00 core charge if it's not usable. That scares me.
Make sure you tell the stealership that! (about needing it back in one piece!) Otherwise you may get a surprise. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

some are a bitch, I use the J hooks from napa, broke more than one set, although 90% of the wheels pop w/out drama

I suspect the actual GM sourced tool is better than napa, nothing new
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
some are a bitch, I use the J hooks from napa, broke more than one set, although 90% of the wheels pop w/out drama

I suspect the actual GM sourced tool is better than napa, nothing new
I agree Steve.....I have an appointment this morning at the stealership. I sure hope they can get it off. I'm setting here with a new two tone Vette Essential wheel and I'm starting to doubt that I'll ever see it on my car. My old wheel seems to be in that remaining 10% that won't come off.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I just got back from the stealership. It took them exactly 29 minutes to remove the old wheel and install the new Vette Essentials wheel.

The only thing I can believe is that all the PB blaster we put on the spline two days ago had time to soak in and loosen everything. I talked to the mechanic that did the work and he said there were no problems. The new wheel looks awesome.

So, thanks to all that responded to my plea for help.

Larry
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Well, I just got back from the stealership. It took them exactly 29 minutes to remove the old wheel and install the new Vette Essentials wheel.

The only thing I can believe is that all the PB blaster we put on the spline two days ago had time to soak in and loosen everything. I talked to the mechanic that did the work and he said there were no problems. The new wheel looks awesome.

So, thanks to all that responded to my plea for help.

Larry
Glad to hear it eventually worked out! Any pics?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought I was the only one that has trouble doing the simple things.
I agree that you had done all the hard work and the mechanic got the easy task. In the end it seems to have worked out.
Post some pics of the new wheel.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

where did you get the GM steering wheel puller?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help - Has anyone removed their steering wheel from a C5

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a KD tool puller (equivalent to Kent Moore) from etoolcart.com. The lockpin is highly recommended and on backorder; they are only available from 2-3 sources. I think some have the unfortunate luck of having a spline manufactured to the high end of the tolerance matched with a whell that falls into the low end causing a slight interference fit from the factory. GM sells cars to the puplic and 99% of them will never have a steering wheel replaced. Luck of the draw I guess...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NAVY08
where did you get the GM steering wheel puller?
The guy that helped me attempt to remove the wheel used to be a GM mechanic. He has about every tool known to mankind.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
LMH4C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by realvc
I thought I was the only one that has trouble doing the simple things.
I agree that you had done all the hard work and the mechanic got the easy task. In the end it seems to have worked out.
Post some pics of the new wheel.
I don't have any pics at this time. I have put in the new seat leather and new foam, consul lid, arm rests, shift boot, steering wheel, and seat pouches so far. I have the door pulls, e-brake boot and handle on order. When I get the whole set finished I'll take a few pics and post them on this thread.

Again, thanks to everyone. I was beginning to believe there was another bolt or two holding the wheel on.

Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help - Has anyone removed their steering wheel from a C5