C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 C5 Oil Pressure Sender Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
jraddington
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 C5 Oil Pressure Sender Wiring Diagram

Howdy Folks,

I recently had to replace the oil pressure sender in my 1999 Coupe, it went bad like so many other users on the forum. I reluctantly performed the cut-out method on the wiper cowl to get at the sensor. I had no issues for three months until......

I decided to get a little liberal with the amount of water I used when washing the car last weekend. I worked hard on the windshield and hood areas. When I started the car after washing my heart stopped... ZERO OIL PRESSURE. The alarm was binging, the lights were flashing, it was horrible. Of course I instantly shut it off...

It then came to me that I might have gotten water in the oil pressure sender. I fired the car up, had to strange sounds, so I pulled it into the garage and removed the wipers and cowl again. Sure enough, I had gotten a little water into the wiring connector.

I thought OK, I'll use that spare sender I already bought and swap it out, no problem. Well I damaged the 3-pin wiring connector when removing it. To make an already long story not as long as it could be, I had to buy a replacement wiring connector from the stealership. I wanted to post information on here because I wasn't able to find wiring information when I was searching. Here it goes:

AC Delco PN PT1825
GM PN 88988301

3-Pin weatherpack connector with about 12" of wire attached, and comes with connectors to do the splicing. ( I soldered mine just to be safe )

Price was high but I wanted it NOW... I did a quick internet search and found various suppliers about half of the Chevy parts house cost.

I hope this helps someone who might have a similar problem, this forum has been a great help to me to I want to return the favor. I have a simple diagram I made and can take pictures if anyone really wants, but not much to see.

OK, this is my first time posting a picture... Will have to post the picture later. Thanks again, - Josh
Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jraddington
Howdy Folks,

I recently had to replace the oil pressure sender in my 1999 Coupe, it went bad like so many other users on the forum. I reluctantly performed the cut-out method on the wiper cowl to get at the sensor. I had no issues for three months until......

I decided to get a little liberal with the amount of water I used when washing the car last weekend. I worked hard on the windshield and hood areas. When I started the car after washing my heart stopped... ZERO OIL PRESSURE. The alarm was binging, the lights were flashing, it was horrible. Of course I instantly shut it off...

It then came to me that I might have gotten water in the oil pressure sender. I fired the car up, had to strange sounds, so I pulled it into the garage and removed the wipers and cowl again. Sure enough, I had gotten a little water into the wiring connector.

I thought OK, I'll use that spare sender I already bought and swap it out, no problem. Well I damaged the 3-pin wiring connector when removing it. To make an already long story not as long as it could be, I had to buy a replacement wiring connector from the stealership. I wanted to post information on here because I wasn't able to find wiring information when I was searching. Here it goes:

AC Delco PN PT1825
GM PN 88988301

3-Pin weatherpack connector with about 12" of wire attached, and comes with connectors to do the splicing. ( I soldered mine just to be safe )

Price was high but I wanted it NOW... I did a quick internet search and found various suppliers about half of the Chevy parts house cost.

I hope this helps someone who might have a similar problem, this forum has been a great help to me to I want to return the favor. I have a simple diagram I made and can take pictures if anyone really wants, but not much to see.

OK, this is my first time posting a picture... Will have to post the picture later. Thanks again, - Josh
The water most likely caused a short between the signal wire and ground, which will caused a zero oil pressure indication. Just getting the connector dried out probably would have remedied the issue.

I guess cutting the hole wasn't such a time or $$ savings in the end, huh?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM
jraddington
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maybe right.....

lucky,

You may be right about that, but there was a key factor that lead to my problem. While I was monkeying around with the plug when I changed the sensor the first time I lost the rubber seal that goes around the three wires on the top where they enter the plug. If I would have been thinking I would have put some gasket maker in there or something. I really feel like missing that seal is what shorted it out.

Another note, I did test the sender after three days of sitting in the garage. I had run the thing up to temperature several times, it's been in the 60's here lately. Any water in top of the sender would have evaporated... But the sender did not work. This may be a troubleshootin tip for others in the future...

When the seal broke and oil got into the factory sender, it read max oil pressure. 80PSI on the gauge, 130PSI on the DIC. I also had a slow oil leak down the back of the motor. It eventually got all over the starter, torque tube, and down onto the exhaust which produced a wonderful smell and the occaisonal wisp of smoke.

When the water got in from the top and shorted out the sender, I got 0 PSI on the gauge and LOW OIL PRESSURE on the the DIC. Even after drying the connectors and reassembling I had no pressure. I did have to replace the sender.

A side note, I think there may be a slight variation in readings from sender to sender. I seem to have 1-2PSI less pressure now than with the previous sender. ( And yes, level is fine and there are no leaks!!! )

- Josh

( Still working on posting the diagram )
Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

( Still working on posting the diagram )
Here you go, GM was nice enough to do it for you. Yes, a set of service manuals will cost you about $90 used, but it's the best money you could ever spend on your car.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

While I was monkeying around with the plug when I changed the sensor the first time I lost the rubber seal that goes around the three wires I really feel like missing that seal is what shorted it out.

The missing weatherpack seal definately left the sensor vulnerable to water intrusion, and an unsealed hole in the cowl can provide a pathway for the water.

Don't worry about the newest sensor reading a couple pounds less pressure. It's very typical to see some variation between sensors.

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 C5 Oil Pressure Sender Wiring Diagram

Quick Reply: 1999 C5 Oil Pressure Sender Wiring Diagram