C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Optima Red Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Leaking Optima Red Top

For some reason (a premonition?) I took a flashlight and looked around the battery area on my Z06 today. I noticed a couple of small areas of "acid burns" on the frame, which instantly pop a red flag. Further investigation revealed that the Optima Red Top was leaking acid somewhere near the negative terminal post, and was running down on the negative cable end and then dripping down of the battery tray edge straight below. Most of the acid had dripped into the edge of the battery tray and then collected under the battery, but there were some drops that must have splashed off the edge of the tray an onto the nearby frame area. Also some of the acid that collected under the battery had dripped on the frame under the tray Not a lot of damage ... just paint burns. No wiring or computer damage seen.

But what completely pisses me off is that I bought the Optima so I wouldn't have to worry about a leaking battery ... now the least likely battery to leak has leaked on my car. Optima is going to get a nasty phone call about this, even though the battery slightly over 4 years old, it shouldn't have leaked ... period. It looks like it might have slowly been leaking for some time. My guess is the top wasn't sealed 100% to the side case ... shoddy quality. Probably a rare instance and bad luck draw on my part.

Has anyone else had an Optima battery leak? I'm going to have to dig up Optima's warranty policy on this, but if I recall I think they warrantee them for at least 5 years.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Guys ... no interest in this issue?

If you have an Optima Red Top in your car, I'd check around where the cables connect on the side connection area to see if there is any acid leakage or residue present.

Yes, it's the LAST thing I'd expect from an Optima battery to do (leak), but it happened to mine. It's the last thing I'd think of checking for, but I happened to look and found the leakage evidence.

BTW – I’m the original owner, and put this Optima in the car about 4 years ago and there was ZERO acid damage from the original OEM battery when I put the Optima in the car. This Optima has always been kept up in charge with a Battery Tender when the car wasn't in use, and has never been discharged or otherwise abused.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-22-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that is interesting because I also installed a red top because I figured it was highly unlikely that it would leak. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Have never heard of one leaking prior to this post. Hopefully you damage is minimal.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by motogib1
Well that is interesting because I also installed a red top because I figured it was highly unlikely that it would leak. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Have never heard of one leaking prior to this post. Hopefully you damage is minimal.
Yes, it caught me by total surprise ... I could hardly believe it. The leakage wasn't huge, but enough to cause acid burns on the frame rail below. Unknown how long it had been leaking.

It looks like the top wasn't maybe sealed 100% and there was some slight leakage near the corner of the negative side post area.

I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who has had an Optima leak like this. Optima better refund my money or give me new battery, even on a 4 year old battery. Not sure if I even want to go with Optima anymore.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-22-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I too thought that they couldn't leak! Aren't they suppose to be gel?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:57 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I too thought that they couldn't leak! Aren't they suppose to be gel?
Not sure, but what leaked out on mine was the consistency of water. I'm going to post a few photos here in a bit.

I'm figuring my case was some freak occurrence ... maybe I should play the lottery this week.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Here's a few photos with brief description.

Overhead shot of battery area after removing Optima.

You can see where the leaking acid collected on the battery tray.

If you look closely, you can see the leaking acid on the black cable end below the terminal screw. Best I can tell, the leak was up near the negative cable terminal someplace, and leaked down on the cable end, then dripped down onto the battery tray and collected under the battery. A few drops must have bounced off the tray edge and fell on the frame rail below where the drip was hitting the tray.

Here you can see where the leaking acid collected under the battery. This is the corresponding wet spot that is on the battery tray.

Shot after removing the tray. You can see some acid burns on the paint of the frame rail. Not a lot of damage, but this battery isn't supposed to leak - so they say.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 AM
VetteHunting
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only reason 9 out of 10 people have battery leaks from the terminals is an over-tightening of the terminals. Maybe not in your case, just saying.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteHunting
Only reason 9 out of 10 people have battery leaks from the terminals is an over-tightening of the terminals. Maybe not in your case, just saying.
I torqued them to 9 ft-lbs with a torque wrench, no lube on bolts - I keep detailed logs on all the work I do on my vehicles and just looked up my log notes when I installed the Optima.

Factory manual spec is 11 ft-lbs for the battery terminal bolts. Unless the Optima can't take that level of tightness, I don't think it was the cause.

I'm not 100% sure or not if it was actually leakng from the terminal, but it was in that area becasue the leaked acid wicked on to the negative cables end and then dripped down to the battery tray. As you can see in the photos, there is no acid on the actual metal part or bolt of the cable end.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-23-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a optima because the Delco leaked. My damage was much more sever than in your pics. I had to pull the bat. box neutralize the stuff on the frame, clean prime and then repaint the frame and surrounding area. I do however check my optima. Before buying I asked optima folks email if it was guaranteed not to leak. The answer was NO but it is designed to prevent leaks. "Legal mumbo jumob". But it does do a better job of not leaking. However if it leaks IMO it is defective and should be returned for warranty replacement. The part that is defective is the seal. Don't try for replacement for the leak but the defective sealing of the case that results in leak. Best of luck. I still don't totally trust them because of the legal response I got from optima. This clearly is a case of buyer beware.

BTW Rustoleum flat black is a good match on the frame.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I discovered the stock battery was leaking when I did my header install. Paint on the frame was corroded away and there was a little rust. Cleaned up the rust and repaired the damage with primer and rustoleum.

Car was still under warranty and the dealer installed a new battery no charge. I then put a acid absorbing pad under the battery for some added insurance. That was four years ago and no more leaks. I guess the pad did it!

I planned on buying an Optima when this battery goes but won't do it now. Why pay that premium $$$ for leak protection when they leak too. An acid absorbing bad and regular eyeballing of the terminals is the only way to go
IMO.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
white top
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest everyone use one of those acid nuetralizing mats under the battery no matter what kind of battery you use. my .02
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by white top
Suggest everyone use one of those acid nuetralizing mats under the battery no matter what kind of battery you use. my .02

Yes, I'm a big believer in them also. Even with an AGM type battery, it's cheap insurance with a mat under it.

ZeeOSix, I'm glad you caught it early with only minimal damage.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Have to say that this is only the 2nd example of a Red Top leaking that I've ever heard in 6 years here. As you say, this is the reason most of us buy Optimas.

I guess nothing is ever perfect so thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A gel battery leaking a watery fluid?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Yours is not the first and I'm sure it won't be the last. Luckily most of the non-AGM battery manufacturers (and there aren't that many) have really beefed up their cases so that leaking battery issues would not be reason to switch over to AGM technology. If you look at the literature that Exide has for its Marathon battery, you'd see that its case is heavy-duty to prevent leaks.

By the way, I noticed that with an AC Delco battery, placing an absorbent mat underneath prevents the battery from being able to slip under the hold-down lip. Fortunately, I have never read of any newer-design AC Delco Professional batteries having leaks, so I think that case design is very robust.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by white top

Have them under ALL my car's batteries

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Optima Red Top

Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
El Zappo
Instructor

Location: Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 6 minutes. The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 fps.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nextime
A gel battery leaking a watery fluid?
They are not gel. They are liquid, just like a normal battery. They have an absorbent glass mat that absorbs the liquid, much like a sponge. The not leak issue comes from the battery supposedly being completely sealed. Cracks have been known to happen.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info guys. I wish I would have used an acid absorbing mat under the battery ... will next time if possible. I'm assuming you can get the mats at any big autoparts store?

I won't be able to contact Optima until next week ... I'm in Anchorage AK on some business this week, bad timing. The car is still in storage for a while, so no big rush at this point. I'll let you know how it goes getting a free replacement battery out of Optima.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What are some brands that are gel?

Quick Reply: Leaking Optima Red Top