C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers with stock cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers with stock cat back?

I have a 2004 mn6 that is bone stock. I would love to have headers but dont want it loud. Anyone running headers with stock catback? is it noticably louder and is it worth doing for the power or do you really need an aftermarket catback system to justify the headers? Not interested in racing just a little more zip.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
dwestsr
Pro

anyone?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Flatlander
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want a loud system so I kept the stock Ti catback on my
'02 Z06 with LG Pro headers. Nice growl at idle, wails at wot.
Best part is no drone. I love it, but some may want louder!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
LTCHAPPA
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You don't really need an aftermarket catback with headers,but a tune will be needed. You should pickup about 35-40 RWHP with those mods.You won't even know the car has headers and will only be slightly louder at idle. I would also install a C.A.I. to compleat the job.Is 40 hp worth $2000.?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
dwestsr
Pro

Thanks, I was not sure if there was much to be gained without changing the cat back. Still,is 35 40 hp worth the price of headers? Sounds like FI is a better use of funds rather than heads cam headers,etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure about the 40hp (maybe fwhp) with just headers and stock catback, but they WILL add some great torque and hp under the curve. I've seen a range of 20rwhp to 45rwhp from different guys, and different header brands but usually the big gains come from guys that have other mods that the headers compliment.
As far as sound, my wife has headers with cat's removed, and stock exhaust, and it has a GREAT sound. Nice and deep with no drone, but sounds off when she gets on it.
Headers + vararam = FUN!!
BTW, you can get headers for MUCH less than $2000. My KOOKs cost $750 a few years back, and my wife bought the SSAC for $350. (FI - $7000+)

Last edited by Blow Torch; 03-02-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
STIRitUP
Instructor

I have LG streets going through stock Ti, not much different at idle but really screams at WOT. Changing the cat-back I was told would only gain you really 5hp (if that) over the stock when i did the headers.
As for whether it is a better use of funds to go FI, that is for you to decide both have advantages. Keep in mind if you do go FI or head/cam route you will want to do headers as a first step either way to not limit your new mods. You will be getting air in quicker in the engine either way and you need to make sure you up the headers to benefit fully.
Good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

From what I've researched LT headers benefit SC cars. Turbos perform better with stock exhaust. So if FI is in your future keep that in mind. LTs can be had for a less than $2000. What I'm looking at is LT headers, x pipe, high flow cats all for under $1500. And recently I've seen SC going for under $4800.

On the other hand a good HC LT CAI setup will produce about the same HP as FI. Both have advantages and drawbacks so do your research before you spend your cash. Decide where you want to go with your project and spend accordingly.

To answer the original question, catbacks add almost nothing but sound. You can push all the exhaust you need through the factory catback setup.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dwestsr
Thanks, I was not sure if there was much to be gained without changing the cat back. Still,is 35 40 hp worth the price of headers? Sounds like FI is a better use of funds rather than heads cam headers,etc.
^^Depends on how much power you want. Pretty easy to increase power by 50% to the rear wheels with FI, but then you will need to do some thing to beef up drivetrain to handle extra power.

Probably will also have to do something with cooling system to handle extra heat.

If all you want is a moderate bump up in power adding a CAI (Cold Air Induction) with headers and a Z06Ti exhaust system is a good way to go. You will also drop at least 50 pounds of weight because the stock exhaust system is heavy.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dwestsr
I have a 2004 mn6 that is bone stock. I would love to have headers but dont want it loud. Anyone running headers with stock catback? is it noticably louder and is it worth doing for the power or do you really need an aftermarket catback system to justify the headers? Not interested in racing just a little more zip.
I am running Stainless Works LT Headers through the stock cats and Z06 Ti Mufflers. The system is very quiet with absolutely no drone but still allows the engine to breath hard enough to put down 412 RWHP on a Mustang Dyno with my other mods
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Many of us have converted over to the Z06 ti catbacks which are cheap and plentiful for sale used on this site. They are less restrictive than the LS1 stuff but still quieter than most of the aftermarket. Corsa Touring is another quiet and beautiful sounding system.
All aftermarket systems are not created equal. I had Borla Stingers which were simply a bit too loud but even then, not bad at cruising speeds. I just don't feel the need to advertise my whereabouts every time I start off from a set of lights.
Performance per dollar, headers, CAI., gears, and a tune are a terrific value. The car will runs circles around a stocker and these are fairly cheap things to install. If you want 500 at the wheels the blower is the better value I think, but at that point you are doing a clutch and messing around with wheel and rubber sizes trying to get that juice to the pavement. Oversize wheels, tubbing etc. For those of us who run street tires exclusively getting traction is a challenge. The car at 400rwhp is very fast but is not breaking things and lots of tire options will work. Let us know which way you go
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the LG Motorsports Street Series headers with the X-Pipe. I have a stock cat-back system, but I modified it with the bypass pipes as seen here:

It has a decent sound at idle, no drone, and screams at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3Vlwt0FZU

Here is the same set of headers installed on my buddy's Vert with the TI cat-back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWVyIhGurbg

Hope this helps.

Mark

p.s. The headers and a tune-up were good for 1/2 a second in the quarter mile.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers with stock cat back?

Quick Reply: Headers with stock cat back?