C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Hyperflash with LED's

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Fix for C5 Hyperflash with LED's

Hello,

I just changed my front corner lights and am going to install LED's too so they don't melt above the bulb again. It seems though, that the C5 can suffer from Hyperflash whenever the turn signal bulbs are changed to LED's.

So, I looked through the wiring diagrams to see what's going on. The flasher is part of the hazard switch so it can't just be changed. But, it seems to be pretty easy to bypass the flasher. There is a Pink wire which is key-on power. This pink wire feeds power to the flasher in the hazard switch. There is a purple wire which is the flasher output. This purple wire feeds the flasher signal to the turn signal switch.

To bypass the built-in flasher, it appears you just pull the purple wire out of the connector and then connect any typical electronic 2-terminal flasher between the pink wire and the purple wire.

So, anyone ever do this? Comments?

I'd also like to know where the "bypass harness" plugs in? They say under the column but I don't see where there is a useful wire plug under the column. I believe you can reach to the Hazard switch from under the column though.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 03-08-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
RedWuken
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the pre-wired one for sale: http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
The picture may help you out.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you remove the knee bolster the harness is just below the key. You really can't miss it. The bypass harness is the easy way to go. The other fix involves removing the flasher switch. Then you open it up. There is an 8 pin IC chip. If you are holding the switch with the IC chip facing you and the chip facing more towards your left hand, you just cut or desolder and lift the 2nd pin from the left on the top row of pins. Sounds complicated but it's not. However doing this will also disable your bulb out feature.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The bypass harness uses correct plug-n-play connectors and has an electronic variable load flasher. The flasher is not a typical thermal cheapo, but IS available in most any auto parts store should the need ever arise. The use of the harness also means the process is reversible should you ever want to.

The only (minor) drawback is that the electronic flasher is very quiet and barely audible when the radio is on, but of course the green indicator lights work normally so unless you're blind or never look at your IPC, you're OK.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
If you remove the knee bolster the harness is just below the key. You really can't miss it.
I'm going to have to look closer at the plugs under the column. It seems to me the bypass harness is just a flasher wired to replace the one in the hazard switch so it should not be hard to diy. Switched power to feed the flasher which then feeds that purple wire.

I've seen the Corvette Enhancements harness but $70US plus shipping will easily be $100CND once it gets here. It can't be that hard to wire in a $10 flasher and I can find better things to spend the other $90 on.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-07-2018)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'm going to have to look closer at the plugs under the column. It seems to me the bypass harness is just a flasher wired to replace the one in the hazard switch so it should not be hard to diy. Switched power to feed the flasher which then feeds that purple wire.

I've seen the Corvette Enhancements harness but $70US plus shipping will easily be $100CND once it gets here. It can't be that hard to wire in a $10 flasher and I can find better things to spend the other $90 on.

Peter
With the bypass harness installed, your 4-way flashing emergency lighting is the ONLY thing still going through your original factory flasher when activated.

HTH
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
olftboy
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I can find better things to spend the other $90 on.
I agree.... so I am posting to watch keep track of this thread.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Default DIY Flasher Bypass Instructions

Hello;

Here's how to do a flasher bypass.

Pick up an electronic flasher and a connector for it. I didn't see a flasher connector but there was a 3-wire headlight pigtail that would work just as well.

The flasher pictured is not suitable for use with all LED lights. Buy one from Ebay or Amazon that claims to be suitable for all LED.

Then, pull out the extra wire and you're ready to go. If you don't want to use a connector then get 2 spade terminals that will plug onto the flasher terminals to use instead.

The white connector is the one you need to get to. This connector is directly under the ignition switch. The picture is taken sideways. The end of the connector with the paper tags around it goes to the hazard switch and is the side you need to work on.

So unplug it.
Cut the purple wire. Cap off the end going to the hazard switch.
Connect one wire from the flasher to the plug end of the purple wire.
I splice the other wire from the flasher to the pink wire. After further examining the wiring diagram, I see you can just cut the pink wire the same as the purple wire.

My flasher had a X terminal and it said on the case to fuse the X terminal. So, I connected the X terminal to the pink wire and the other terminal to the purple wire. You can hold the wire ends into the other side of the connector to test the flasher before you install anything.

Plug the connector back in, install the flasher and test it.

If it works, put the car back together and you're done. If it doesn't work, you could possibly have the wires to the flasher backwards so carefully remove the side wire from the connector and plug it into the other side so you can turn the flasher around.

PS. If someone wants to they can take this and put it into the electrical sticky or copy it to their website for future reference.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-13-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: pink wire can be cut too.
The following 2 users liked this post by lionelhutz:
ArmchairArchitect (01-07-2018), Jason B. (06-28-2017)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
olftboy
Racer

Beautiful.... I'm glad you got it figured out. I was just about to the point of starting on this project myself. Just finished fixing up my seat motors... and I was going to start studying the diagram. You saved me time and money. In the future, if I can do anything to help you... please don't hesitate to ask!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
nickwfd92
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Info. Thank you for the info. I will be trying this out.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There you go.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering that the stock hazard/flasher switch is prone to premature failure ayway (at least a lot of them, including my own, have crapped out), bypassing the stock flasher to activate the turn signals is probably a good thing to do, regardless.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Nver2loud
Pro

Works awesome!!! thanks!! This should be a sticky, only takes about 5 minutes total to complete!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Jeffwilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the tip,
after going through 2 sets of resistors I did this and it is cheaper (about $8.00), Faster (10 minutes at most), and easier than installing resistors.
The only thing I hated was cutting a wire on the harness but it can easily be fixed back to almost original with a connector and some heat shrink tubing.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Treeban
2nd Gear

Default Hyperflash

Previous instructions on how to install an electronic flasher are super. However, I am unsure how to remove the knee bolster. Removal of the two visible screws on the bottom of the bolster are easy, but it seems there are screws or something else holding it from the top?? Help...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 AM
GRNNREG
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Knee Panel Removal Insructions

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Hyperflash with LED's

Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

good info.to know.Thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished up this procedure and wanted to make a note that you don't have to cut the pink wire or purple wire for this to work, at least I didn't have to.

I just used vampire taps to tap into each wire and the blinkers work perfectly fine as does my emergency flashers. No hyper flashing whatsoever.

This procedure was no different than the one I did on my 03 Subaru WRX.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Silverbullet6spd
Racer

A lot of help, I appreciate it. Cost me $15 at Autozone and everything works great.

Quick Reply: C5 Hyperflash with LED's