C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97' C5 - first startup after 2 years NOK, relearn procedure failed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' C5 - first startup after 2 years NOK, relearn procedure failed...

Hi,
now we are ready to fire up car, but somehow unable to go through relearn procedure. PCM is from other car, VIN matching (hope so, I don't have chance to prove it)

I am following steps:
1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2.
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and
wait 30 seconds.

8. Attempt to start the engine.

But engine run about one sec and died. DTC P1630 Theft Deterrent System PCM In Learn Mode is NOT set.

I am asking where should be a problem? Key pellet reader?
These DTC's are present:

PCM Powertrain Control Module
P1631 Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect - Yes of course, because relearn procedure failed...

RTD Real Time Damping
C1712 LF Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1717 RF Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1722 LR Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1727 RR Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit) - car was with RTD shocks, but now is equipped with normal shocks, anybody know how to get rid off these DTC's, please? Any resistor instead or how to delete?

RFA Remote Function Actuation
B2805 No Transmitters Programmed - is this has something to do with keyless FOB or pellet reader? I don't have fob at all, maybe car support, but have to buy one later.

And one more issue, oil pressure gauge, goes from zero to max and stay there, is it oil pressure sending unit failure or it should be grounding, connector etc... problem?

Thanks to all for reading until here and any advice welcome!
Greetings from Czech Republic
Roman & FBS
Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Brother tried today many times, no succes.

Can oil pressure sender cause that it will not be "learned" ? I heard from one guy that everything must be OK:

shock inoperative
low coolant
service ride control
door ajar
low washer fluid

...etc, no this kind of error messages at all.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tappaja
Hi,
now we are ready to fire up car, but somehow unable to go through relearn procedure. PCM is from other car, VIN matching (hope so, I don't have chance to prove it)

I am following steps:
1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2.
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and
wait 30 seconds.

8. Attempt to start the engine.

But engine run about one sec and died. DTC P1630 Theft Deterrent System PCM In Learn Mode is NOT set.

I am asking where should be a problem? Key pellet reader?
These DTC's are present:

PCM Powertrain Control Module
P1631 Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect - Yes of course, because relearn procedure failed...

RTD Real Time Damping
C1712 LF Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1717 RF Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1722 LR Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit)
C1727 RR Shock Absorber Solenoid (Open Circuit) - car was with RTD shocks, but now is equipped with normal shocks, anybody know how to get rid off these DTC's, please? Any resistor instead or how to delete?

RFA Remote Function Actuation
B2805 No Transmitters Programmed - is this has something to do with keyless FOB or pellet reader? I don't have fob at all, maybe car support, but have to buy one later.

And one more issue, oil pressure gauge, goes from zero to max and stay there, is it oil pressure sending unit failure or it should be grounding, connector etc... problem?

Thanks to all for reading until here and any advice welcome!
Greetings from Czech Republic
Roman & FBS
Oil pressure part sounds like oil pressure sending unit failure. The early models loved to fall out on you and peg your gauge on the high side. I have 2 C5s and have had to do them both!! Common problem. As for the "learn mode" I don't have anything to offer. Good luck brother Na zdravi!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97C5owner
Oil pressure part sounds like oil pressure sending unit failure. The early models loved to fall out on you and peg your gauge on the high side. I have 2 C5s and have had to do them both!! Common problem. As for the "learn mode" I don't have anything to offer. Good luck brother Na zdravi!!
Oh yes, my brother is going to cut a hole just in position where sender located is as I saw in relocation thread, I like this solution, I am not going to relocate it or disassemble whole car just to replace it
Na zdravi! Vivat Pilsner Urquell!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Roman,

Here is the resistor mod for RTD delete from http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ew-shocks.html Credit to HawnHog:

Go to Radio Shack and get the following:

Wire wound Resistors
271-132
10 watt 10 ohm
(The resistor is a 2 inch X 1/4 inch ceramic block with a solid silver wire on each end. Two in a pack so buy two packs.)

Underneath the car at each shock location there is a black wire running from the shock to a blue connector. The wire does not unhook at the shock but if you trace the wire you will find the connector. Disconnect the blue connector from its mate and remove the shock.

Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the wire as close to the shock as possible. You will be left with the cut wire on one end and the blue connector at the other. Remove about three inches from the black insulation to expose the two wires (black & white) that it conceals. Strip both of them back about an inch.

Insert the resistor into a rubber hose (w/the wires protruding from each end) to protect it; solder the resistor between the two bare wires (black & white) that originally went to the factory shock to complete the circuit. I used some water proof silicone to seal the solder and wrapped everything in electrical tape. Reconnect the blue connector. Tuck the package out of the way and secure with zip ties. This will fool the computer into thinking the F45 Shocks are still there (as the computer looks for its resistance). Install the replacement shock.

Repeat for all four corners and you will be good to go.

Good luck with the 'Vette...By the way, I've been to Prague, was one of my favorite cities I visited...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Thanks for RTD delete. I was reading description of RTD DTC's and found that resistance should be between 9-15ohms and was not sure that is enough to "fool" computer. That's perfect! Will do it soon.

And have to say, I have been visited a lot of cities around world and now can say, that Prague is really beautifull. I swear!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM
tappaja
Advanced

So here I am with update, Oil pressure switch is changed, gauges shows corectly.
But we are still not able pass VATS relearn procedure after PCM replace.

TECH2 or HP tuners not available near, so VATS cannot be disabled in easy way.

It is european model, description for P1631 DTC is little bit different from USA models, but relearn procedure is the same (Document ID# 215346 for USA and ID# 74013 for Export Only)

Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes or until DTC P1630 sets. may I check this DTC on DIC or have to use external code reader?
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds.
Attempt to start the engine.

Is there any critical condition which must be kept during VATS relearn? Doors, hood, trunk closed, no reading lamp ON, parking brake ON.

I don't have FOB, is it necessary for proper working of car? I mean to unblock security lock or something like this.

Security light is flashing a few times and stay OFF. What is correct behaving of security light?

Is there anybody who pass relearn procedure successfuly for 97-98 corvette, please?
Thank you
Roman

Last edited by tappaja; 04-02-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What was wrong with you old PCM that you felt like you had to change it out????? What year PCM is it??? (97-98 & and I think 99 are unique and will NOT work with late model PCMs

Are you sure that the BCM is getting the correct key resistor info for your VATs system. If it were me, i would check that. Did you change BCMs????? If you changed BCMs the resistor value may be different and Im not sure how you can verify that. I would have to research that issue.

I replyed to another on of your post and provided you a link to a BCM post that Im answering. Check that out.

BC
Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What was wrong with you old PCM that you felt like you had to change it out????? What year PCM is it??? (97-98 & and I think 99 are unique and will NOT work with late model PCMs

Are you sure that the BCM is getting the correct key resistor info for your VATs system. If it were me, i would check that. Did you change BCMs????? If you changed BCMs the resistor value may be different and Im not sure how you can verify that. I would have to research that issue.

I replyed to another on of your post and provided you a link to a BCM post that Im answering. Check that out.

BC
Hi Bill,
as you answered in another thread with BCM, we changed PCM only. And ONE key came with car (no FOB, only key) and with this key we are trying to start. It is CODE 9 (3.1kohm)
I hope that's correct one and I dont know how to prove it what value is in BCM.
PCM and whole car is 97' A4 export model (RPO VD1, and VE1)
Thank you
ROman
Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have the OEM origional BCM,,,send me your VIN number in a PM and I will see if I can figure out what key code you SHOULD HAVE!

If you have a certified GM service center in your area, you can also provide them proof that the car is yours and the VIN number and they should be able to provide you what resistor value your suppose to have.

Bill C
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
tappaja
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If you have the OEM origional BCM,,,send me your VIN number in a PM and I will see if I can figure out what key code you SHOULD HAVE!

If you have a certified GM service center in your area, you can also provide them proof that the car is yours and the VIN number and they should be able to provide you what resistor value your suppose to have.

Bill C
PM sent, thank you very much!
Regards
Roman

Get notified of new replies

To 97' C5 - first startup after 2 years NOK, relearn procedure failed...

Quick Reply: 97' C5 - first startup after 2 years NOK, relearn procedure failed...