C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter stuck, clutch feels ok, car won't move

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shifter stuck, clutch feels ok, car won't move

My shifter is stuck in place and I can't make it move no matter how hard I try. It should be stuck in 2nd or 4th but it doesn't act like it... with the engine running you can let the clutch out and hear a small change in tone about where it should engage, but the car doesn't move and the engine keeps running even with the clutch out. The clutch feels just like it used to as far as pedal effort and it still feels smooth.

It happened when I was trying to go from 4th to 5th. There was a lot of grinding when I tried to get into 5th and it wouldn't engage. I went back to 4th, slowed down, tried 5th and 3rd again and nothing so I went to neutral. Then I had to force it back in to 4th and got maybe another mile with the car still moving under it's own power. I kept slowing down and tried to get into 2nd. It felt like it went into gear, but it have been 4th or 2nd, and either way I ended up where I am now with nothing happening and the shifter stuck in place.

I got the console out and everything looked normal, nothing disconnected or loose or missing. The shifter and transmission are stock, clutch is Centerforce and flywheel is Fidanza aluminum, both around 8 months old. It was shifting fine prior to this and I didn't have any warning signs.

I had it towed to the dealership and I couldn't find anything in a search but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
vettefamily
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent you a pm
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

Did you do master and slave when you did clutch?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by bartsky
Did you do master and slave when you did clutch?

Yep.

vettefamily - thanks for the info. However, my shifter won't move at all whether the car is on or off.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

I had the same problem with my 02 Z06, and I'm almost certain it was air in the hydraulic lines.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
2_60b4u
Racer

Same here as well. I went to put in in 4th gear and it kicked back out into neutral. Tore the tranny out and had it rebuilt. The aluminum keys were in several pieces, and I took out the 3/4 synco all together:o

Time to upgrade
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Did you try to stick into reverse instead of 5th. Sometimes the lockout gate fails and can cause some serious damage.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by SearayC5
Did you try to stick into reverse instead of 5th. Sometimes the lockout gate fails and can cause some serious damage.
I don't think so but it's possible I suppose. Normally I have to be pretty deliberate about getting it into reverse and this felt like a regular 4-5 shift. I guess the only way to be sure is to get into the transmission.

bartsky - what hydraulic lines are you talking about? Clutch? I don't think that's it, the clutch feels the same.

2_60b4u - sounds like you did a number on yours! What did you replace it with?

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter stuck, clutch feels ok, car won't move

Quick Reply: Shifter stuck, clutch feels ok, car won't move