C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vigilante 2800 stall review

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Vigilante 2800 stall review

Okay, got my car back a few days ago after installation of a Vigilante 2800 stall and a stacked plate oil cooler. Had some reservations about a high stall after reading some of the posts on cf but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Car is a bit louder but very streetable (more so than it was with my 224R 112 LSA cam and stock converter). I think I will very accustomed to it shortly. Haven't got on it much as temperatures are barely 50 and traction is limited but C5 feels very quick. The car also has LT headers, vararam, underdrive pulley, Comp 224R cam and 3.42 gears. With the tranny cooler mounted up front, trans temps are less than they were with the stock setup. Drove it to work and near a busy mall and no problems, drives near stock, just the sound is much different. I personally don't see what the fuss is about with folks that hate these stalls. You have to expect some compromise to go quick. Anyhow, I am glad that I didn't go any higher with the Vigilante, might have gotten annoying. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this particular modification.

motogib
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have the Vigilante 2800 also. I am happy with the drivability.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be doing heads/cam/stall/gears soon...

Never had a stalled car before and I'm curious what it's like under normal driving conditions and also under heavy throttle.

Is there a mushy/sloppy feel and how much throttle does it take to get it flash up to the stall point?

You mentioned traction...can you hook on the street? What tires you running?

thanks for the info!
al
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ALVETTE00
I'll be doing heads/cam/stall/gears soon...

Never had a stalled car before and I'm curious what it's like under normal driving conditions and also under heavy throttle.

Is there a mushy/sloppy feel and how much throttle does it take to get it flash up to the stall point?

You mentioned traction...can you hook on the street? What tires you running?

thanks for the info!
al
You don't really notice the stall during every day driving. Torque converters today are much better than the ones of the past.

The mushy/sloppy feel is a thing of the past (unless you specifically ask for one like that). The car will move forward under light throttle just like it used to.

At wide open the throttle the engine revs more freely between gears and gets up into the higher RPM's faster. I cannot hook on the street if I floor it off the line, that just isn't going to happen, but as long as you use a reasonable amount of throttle you are just fine.

The biggest traction problem is cold tires, not the converter.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
You don't really notice the stall during every day driving. Torque converters today are much better than the ones of the past.

The mushy/sloppy feel is a thing of the past (unless you specifically ask for one like that). The car will move forward under light throttle just like it used to.

At wide open the throttle the engine revs more freely between gears and gets up into the higher RPM's faster. I cannot hook on the street if I floor it off the line, that just isn't going to happen, but as long as you use a reasonable amount of throttle you are just fine.

The biggest traction problem is cold tires, not the converter.

...with all points. I'm running a Yank SS3200 and the car will creep, in Drive and Reverse, at idle, just like the stock converter. A stall and gears is a great investment.
Ed
Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
I have the Vigilante 2800 also. I am happy with the drivability.
I think most of the naysayers either have the older type stall converters or have never even had one. There is very little slippage in the new ones and the 3500 Yank I run is not noticeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Vigilante 2800 stall review

Quick Reply: Vigilante 2800 stall review