C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the Traction Control Switch work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 03:31 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the Traction Control Switch work?

Hi,

Anyone here knows how the TC switch turns on/off traction control? I would like to wire it to my NOS arming switch. So it will turn off TC automatically as soon as I arm the NOS. I have loooked at the TC switch and it has a total of six wires. Any clues about which wire does what?

I know that they have a device that turns off TC automatically as soon as you start the car. But I don't want this. I only want it to be turn off when it's needed most. Or maybe I have to get this device and then use the NOS arming switch to power this device on/off.

Thanks
-Tuan
Old 02-01-2002, 02:31 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: How does the Traction Control Switch work? (Tuan Le)

TTT. Anyone?
Old 02-01-2002, 04:41 AM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Hey Tuan,

That's an interesting idea. I would be concerned about the complexity of the TCS but a switch is a switch as well. If you don't find the info you're looking for you can always do your own research/testing with a test light...find out which wires are hot when the TC is on and which ones are hot when the TC is off. Then wire the lead from the nitrous system switch accordingly.

Good Luck Bro
Old 02-01-2002, 09:21 AM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Neat idea. Of the 6 wires, only 2 are for the TC switch - the others are there for the F45 switch if you have that option.

The switch is a momentary type, normally open. Meaning, it closes when you press it and it's open when you're not touching it.

The black wire on the harness connector goes to ground. The brown wire goes to the BCM. When the switch is pressed (closed), the BCM signal is pulled to ground.

I hope that helps!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I wonder if it would be possible to have it go into Competitive mode? Certainly a more difficult proposition. I would hate to run without AH on (but I am a worrier).
Old 02-01-2002, 09:49 AM
shftn6
Pro

Hey, thats a great idea to have the traction control go off automatically when you arm the spray.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:52 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: How does the Traction Control Switch work? (shftn6)

Tuan,
Let me know how you work this out. That is a great idea.

Old 02-01-2002, 11:15 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: How does the Traction Control Switch work?

Neat idea. Of the 6 wires, only 2 are for the TC switch - the others are there for the F45 switch if you have that option.

lotzahp,

You're my hero. :D With 4 wires out of the way, the other two is a piece of cake.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

:cheers:
-Tuan
Old 02-01-2002, 01:44 PM
gpflepsen
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I suggest getting the arming signal from the TC light. The hot lead for the light stays on whenever the TC is off. Use this signal to drive a relay for the arming circuit.

Remember that the TC switch is only a momentary contact switch and it would be possable to get the NOS and TC out of sync.

JM$.02
Old 02-01-2002, 02:38 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: How does the Traction Control Switch work? (gpflepsen)

Remember that the TC switch is only a momentary contact switch.
Thanks. I did overlook that from previous post.

Back to the drawing board. :D
Old 02-02-2002, 01:02 AM
jorex
Advanced

I believe the momentary switch just toggles a state in the ECU. A volatile register value that sets TC to "true" is toggled to "false" The fact that it is not an adjustable value during ECU programming indicates that the value is not in static memory and returns to "true" upon an ECU power cycle. Get a timer out of a kitchen appliance, duct tape it to your console and wire it into the TC switch so that it cycles the TC circuit once during start up.

Ok, that's a joke.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:08 AM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

As mentioned before, the switch is quote simple. It just takes the 12v signal from the BCM to ground. The problem for your application is that you'd be much better off running in Competition Mode then turning Active Handling off with the Traction Control.

Running on the street in Competition Mode is fine in almost all cases (rain being one exception). I'd recommend just using a TracActive Controller and having the car always in Competition Mode. You can still turn Traction Control back on in an instant by hitting the factory button.

I was thinking that we could make a custom programed version of the TracActive for your application, but I don't think there is any advatage to only running Competition Mode when you're going to use your NOS and it would be more expensive to boot.

If you have any other questions about the TC/AH system or the TracActive Controller, let me know!

Mike :flag
Old 02-03-2002, 03:27 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: How does the Traction Control Switch work?

My car only doesn't have ActiveHandling, just only Traction Control. I took the TC switch apart this morning and as others have mentioned, TC only uses two wires, pin #5 and pin #6 (ground, black wire). TC gets turned on or off by flashing these two wires together (monentary switch).

What I need now is some kind of replay that sits between the NOS arming switch and these two wires. Everytime it receives the arming signal (12+ volt), it flashes these two wires (complete the ground path and disconnect). And then when the arm switch is powered off, it flashes again. I'll see what I can find at the RadioShack store tomorrow.

-Tuan
Old 09-27-2021, 06:09 PM
427troy
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am researching this thread because I would like to wire in my Line Lock such that it disables the traction control when the LL is activated. I thought that was a good idea.

Get notified of new replies

To How does the Traction Control Switch work?

Quick Reply: How does the Traction Control Switch work?