C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Best Shifter for a C5 Manual???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11
Default What is the Best Shifter for a C5 Manual???

My 2000's shifter started to act up last fall before putting my Corvette away for the winter. I decided that this spring I would install a new unit, but I wasn't really sure which one to purchase. I knew I didn't want the original design. Times have changed and like a lot of things, I believe there must be an improvement in the original design. It's been over 9 years since this first design.

I have this obsession where I can't just pick something for my car without researching it to death. So I started to look at the different units on the market. They include Kirban Kwik Shifter, B&M Ripper, Hurst Billet/Plus, Fidanza, and some that I'm sure I missed in this list.

All of the after market shifters I looked at only replace the upper part of the shift controller forcing you to still use part of your old shift controller. This bothered me. I didn't like the idea of leaving portions of the old shifter. If I'm replacing the shift controller, I want the whole thing new, not just part of it.

What I have found is the current production ZO6 and ZR1 has a number of improvements and fits into the C5. It requires modifying the shifter boot, but the rest is a shoe-in.

What's so different? The most noticeable change is the height of this shifter compared to the stock shifter. The new unit has a much shorter throw. The two bolt locations where it attaches to the torque tube are sold mounts compared the the elastomer and metal grommet on the original. This takes away the loosy-goose feeling the original had. It also has an improved bushing arrangement for the push-pull shaft.

Now for the good stuff! The new design OEM shifter is like using a precision instrument. Hitting the shift gages is almost effortless. My old shifter controller was worn enough that getting the shifter into reverse was getting harder and harder. Not with this new unit. Any gear from any position can be found first try every time. The gear to gear shift is much smoother feeling. The feel of the shift **** is wonderful. It's shaped to fit your hand making it much more comfortable then the original ****. The shaft has a 15 deg angle aft which places it in a more comfortable position.

The bad stuff, well, not really, but a few things worth noting. The shifter vibration level is higher then the stock C5 shifter, but not that much. You have to modify the original boot to fit the new style Shifter. In my case, I carefully cut the smaller open off the boot. This allowed me to use a piece of stainless steel (.032” dia) safety wire to attach the boot to the new ****. Looking at the installation it looks like it came from the factory.

The bottom line. Buy any of the other non OEM shifters and you still have the same lower half shift controller. This includes the torque tube attachment points with the elastomer, and the worn push pull shaft. Here are the numbers that were ordered:

25823571 – C6 Z06 shifter
10354701 – C6 shift ****
11609670 - Bolt

I'm glad I choose to use the new OEM shift controller assembly in place of an after market unit. You can purchase the complete kit, less the boot from Gene at www.gmpartshouse.com .

Last edited by Eric D; 05-15-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Eric,

In your opinion, if I have an aftermarket shift **** (MGW), will I even need to modify my stock shift boot for the install. I'm thinking no; as several people are installing the MGW shifter w/C6 shaft on C5's using the MGW ****.

Thanks for this write up...I may actually go with C6Z shifter kit, minus the ****.

-Mike
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

This is a great write-up. Thanks for the opportunity to earn your business and the forum mention.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I never realized that buying an OEM C6 shifter was different than buying an aftermarket one.

What you are saying is the box on the side of the torque tube gets replaced also? I am on my third shifter and while it is good for the track when i am mainly concerned with 3-4-3 shifts, the gears feel too close together for me otherwise.

***Edit
I searched and found some more info. Unfortunately photobucket is blocked here at work.

Man, sometimes i think it would be easier to by a 2009 coupe...

I would like to have: A better shifting feel, a better feeling clutch pedal, better headlights, 18" magnesium wheels with the offset to fit the front to go with the 18" in back and a factory style radio that doesn't look like it was in an S-10.

I think I need to go to the stealership and sit in a 2009, see how that shifter feels. It has been 2 years since I drove a C6.

Last edited by Casem1; 05-14-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by Casem1
I guess I never realized that buying an OEM C6 shifter was different than buying an aftermarket one.

What you are saying is the box on the side of the torque tube gets replaced also? I am on my third shifter and while it is good for the track when i am mainly concerned with 3-4-3 shifts, the gears feel too close together for me otherwise.

***Edit
I searched and found some more info. Unfortunately photobucket is blocked here at work.

Man, sometimes i think it would be easier to by a 2009 coupe...

I would like to have: A better shifting feel, a better feeling clutch pedal, better headlights, 18" magnesium wheels with the offset to fit the front to go with the 18" in back and a factory style radio that doesn't look like it was in an S-10.

I think I need to go to the stealership and sit in a 2009, see how that shifter feels. It has been 2 years since I drove a C6.
The new shifters definantly have a better feel. The transmisson in 08-09 has been refined as well. I tried a friends 08 Z with the new MGW design and that was the best combo I have ever seen. I have tried three different shifters in my 03 Z and so far the MGW and the C6Z shifter are my favorites. Running the MGW currently. Definately go try a new 09.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
happa
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my C6ZO6 Shifter
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
robbcolecrabtree
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the C6 Z06 shifter that I ordered from Gene a couple week back. It is so much better than the stock C5. It feels smoother, and the throws also seem shorter. Also, the C6 **** is a hundred times better than the factory C5 ****.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM
dbbspider
Instructor

Default shifter

I have a B&M and it's better than stock. I like it
Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered mine from Gene. Thanks, guys!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

MGW all the way!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You do know that the shift box (lower section) and the upper section (shifter lever) have absolutely nothing to do with the shift gates that you feel. The gates and the return to neutral feel/action of the OEM shifters are all inside the transmission. if you remove a STOCK OEM shift lever c5 or C6, the handle will flop around like a limp dish cloth. I dont know if GM changed that in the latest C6 ZO6's or the ZR1. Then it will be like a Hurst or Kirban shift handle with centering springs in the shifter.

I will agree that the C6 and C6 ZO6 shift levers and shift ***** are much better than any OEM C5 shifter out there.

I have NOT seen a picture of a the most newest 25823571 – C6 Z06 shifter and shift box. You have probably not seen a C5 ZO6 shift box (lower section) It is solid mounted on the Torque Tube just like you describe.

I have installed (in friends cars) the early C6 shifters upper and lower units and the lower units (shifter boxs) are basically the same. Heres a picture of my OEM C5 Z06 (solid mount) shift box:

Unless your shifter box was completely worn out OR somehow damaged, the new shift box will be basically the same. If you examine how it works,,the shift lever either moves that rod/yoke assembly forward or aft and to the left or right. Theres nothing extraordinary or fancy about it. that motion is transmitted to the transmission via the rod attached to the shift box.

BC
Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
rpmmotorsports504
Heel & Toe

To be honest, I tried the ebay short shifter kit for 48 bucks shipped, and if you want pics, I can email one to you of it installed without the boot and with the boot and my new ****, and on my C5 it is A LOT shorter in length, and in throw. You no longer need to move your entire arm like you are driving a john deer. Just click click, and it moves through the gear. It is absolutely wonderful, and for less than 50 bucks shipped, ITS AMAZING.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the Best Shifter for a C5 Manual???

Quick Reply: What is the Best Shifter for a C5 Manual???