C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Ducts on the cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 AM
C4B4the04
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Ducts on the cheap...

Cheap brake ducts you say?

If you want the brake cooling ducts like the DRM ones but don’t have a ton of money lying around, here’s a solution. I found the C6Z06 ducts can be modded to fit into our cars. Not much more modding than the DRM ones, honestly. I didn’t think they were any easier to install than these. Tools required: drill, utility knife, some form of cutting wheel (might be able to sub a good utility knife) basic hand tools, ability to remove a wheel.

Pros: They are CHEAP!

Pros: You can mount these and bring air right to the place it is needed most. I bought a set of Phoenix spindle ducts and a 6 foot piece of silicon brake duct tubing from Pegasus racing too. When I am done I will have a full system for under 150 in parts

Cons: It is a 2.5 inch system, not a 3 like the DRM. Difference in price makes it worth it to me, up to you though. If you are building a full blown race car, don’t read this. If you do occasional HPDEs and want a little better (read as MUCH better) brake cooling, read on…

Cons: You will have to test fit, take it out, cut, etc. to make this fit right. There is no perfect cut and make it fit like with the DRM. Again, that’s why they get big money for it, its good.

Here’s the story how I found these….sometimes I am guilty of trolling the import forums and making fun of the “tuner” crowd, you know the ones that the car never runs as well AFTER they tune as it did before? My favorite? Baby seat in the back of a Civic, big wing AND fart can muffler. Anyway…..

One of the racing forums listed some C6 Z06 part numbers as ducts they modified for “racing” to cool their drilled/slotted rotors. Yeah. Well, turns out the part numbers were good! I bought a set (from Gene of course) and what do you know, they work. GM part numbers are:
15829066 Right Side Brake duct $7.51
15829067 Left Side Brake duct $7.51

By using my write up, you acknowledge you are responsible for any and all damages to your own car. I am not to be held responsible for anything you do to your own car….with that said…

Start by taking down the plastic trim under the sides of the bumper. That will allow you to work with the existing duct more easily.

I tried two different ways but I think this is the easiest. Cut off the existing duct AFTER the locking tabs in the wheel well. That allows you to more easily manipulate the existing duct out of the way.

Use a grinding wheel or a milling bit to remove some inner fender material. The elongated opening lets the whole duct move inboard without changing the fit at the front of the bumper. You can try it without it, but I found it made the plastic “bellows” not line up in the front where the air comes in.

Cut the mounting tabs off of the ducts you bought. Hey, if you blow it, you spent 7.51. In Vette money, that’s like a Canadian dollar. That way you can fit it up next to the shock mount.

Cut about three inches off of the end of the new duct. Test fit it into your existing duct and being to see how it is going to slip together. I ended up taking too much off one side when I did it the first time (was still able to make it work) and would suggest taking a little off at a time until you get it where you want it.

Once it is cut and in place, drill a single hole (I used a 1/8 inch bit) and install a large head screw and large washer to hold it in place. I used my air impact to drive it in, could use anything you want.

Next, secure your slip fit between the two parts with a few screws so it cannot move around. I simply used more of the same screws I mounted it with. They worked fine. If you have any air leaks (maybe you cut something too short) patch it up now with any one of a number of things (JB weld, RTV gasket stuff, etc). The idea is to get the air that was going nowhere to now go somewhere.

If you want to do the ducting, I will finish this tutorial after I get my spindles. The set I made just didn’t seem secure to me so I am waiting on the set I ordered. Sometimes its best to leave it to the professionals...

These do not rub on my Kuhmo tires, so I think I am in the clear. Z06 wheels might rub some ALL the way cranked left or right but you better not be doing that at speed anyway!

Hope this helps somebody. Looking forward to keeping brake temps down.

Cassidy
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Tyler valo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up!

Links to forms you troll ?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
C4B4the04
Pro

www.honda-tech.com

As for the ACTUAL job....here are a few more pics....

What it looks like inside. I think it mates up pretty well.

Pic of the rack clearance, no hitting here. I really don't know if the Pfadt sways would work with these or not....for a few bucks each, somebody can tell us. Or, my other idea I like better, somebody give me their Pfadt anti-sway bars and I'll find out

Cassidy
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn - wish I'd seen this two months ago, before the DRMs went on. Nice job, I love low cost solutions.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
C4B4the04
Pro

Me too I just couldn't justify the added expense of the bigger ducts for the current level of power I have. Now, if I was slamming the LG big block in my car, then yes, the bigger ones are the way to go. There's a place for everything.

Thanks for the kind words. I will document my spindle duct mods (the ones I ordered are 3 inch, mine are 2.5) so others can follow.

Cassidy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Good idea...just need some temperature data gathered to show at least some improvement over stock and we have a winner. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you need actual spindle ducts go here:http://www.quantummotorsports.com/C5..._Kits_comp.htm
Scroll down to the bottom and they have the Z06 ducts modified to accept their 3" hose..

And a quick "how to" make 3" hose fit the Z06 ducts:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ling-hose.html

Last edited by nwc6; 05-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
C4B4the04
Pro

Anybody thinking about a weekend project from this? I sure do like the mod to make it at 3 inch opening....even easier than what I planned to do!

Cassidy

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Ducts on the cheap...

Quick Reply: Brake Ducts on the cheap...