C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's Door Power Lock Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Driver's Door Power Lock Intermittent

I know that the BCM can fail and can cause the door power locks to not work. My driver's door sometimes will not unlock with the remote, but I can hear the actuator making noise to try and move the mechanism. So I'm assuming the BCM is working fine if the actuator is getting power. Sometimes it will unlock ... it's about 50/50 if it works or not.

Most likely a sticky unlock mechanism? ... anyone else see this issue? I'm thinking all I need to do is remove the door panel and maybe lube the mechanism.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Anyone see this problem and have the cure? I can hear the actuator/motor that moves the unlock mechanism making noise, but the door lock mechanism seems to be hung up. It's intermittant (about 50/50). Someone else must have seen this at one time on a C5.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
jacobsjp
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I fixed mine. I could hear the relay click, but the actuator wasn't getting any power because the contacts in the relay were burnt.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-problem.html

If nothing else, there are good pictures on how to take the door panel off and look inside.

Hopefully it helps.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobsjp
This is how I fixed mine. I could hear the relay click, but the actuator wasn't getting any power because the contacts in the relay were burnt.

If nothing else, there are good pictures on how to take the door panel off and look inside.

Hopefully it helps.
Yes, mine was like that too- I could hear the clicking, so I too assumed it was the actual door lock actuator. I replaced it, but it still did it. I wound up slicing open the relay case on the BCM and using emery cloth to clean the contacts (my relays were not burnt). No problems since and i'ts been 6 years and probably 100k miles of daily driven use.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Yes, mine was like that too- I could hear the clicking, so I too assumed it was the actual door lock actuator. I replaced it, but it still did it. I wound up slicing open the relay case on the BCM and using emery cloth to clean the contacts (my relays were not burnt). No problems since and i'ts been 6 years and probably 100k miles of daily driven use.
So yours was a faulty BCM relay and not a faulty door control module relay? The BCM is located under the passenger's footboard ... the door control module is located behind the door panel.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Hopefully it helps.
Thanks for the info ... good stuff. Since I can hear clicking inside the driver's door panel, it's probably a faulty (intermittant) door module relay.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So yours was a faulty BCM relay and not a faulty door control module relay? The BCM is located under the passenger's footboard ... the door control module is located behind the door panel.
My fault, it was the module that is on the door...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I replaced the relay in mine and that did not fix the problem.
I bought a used DCM from a fellow forum member who was parting a C5 in the parts for sale section.... that did the trick
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My passenger door unlocks but doesn't lock. The motor makes a sound so I figured the mechanism is gummed up. I reach over and flip it locked manually, so far I haven't torn any muscles in the process.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM
HotRod68Camaro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
My passenger door unlocks but doesn't lock. The motor makes a sound so I figured the mechanism is gummed up. I reach over and flip it locked manually, so far I haven't torn any muscles in the process.
I have the same problem.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
It's probably the same kind of relay problem since I believe there is a separate relay in the door control module for the lock and unlock function.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 AM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it helps.
Some good info in this posting, it's very well done.

You can try this site, it may help too:

http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm#DCM

RonJ ...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
C4B4the04
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know "if it ain't broke" philosophy is alive and well but...

Honestly, these relays are documented trouble in these cars. They are approximately a 1.25 each and take 20 minutes to resolder on the boards. I would start there for ANY intermittent problem. If you have a burned contact in a relay, your "gummed up" actuator might not be getting the power it needs to function. You might diagnose it as an actuator and put a new one in only to find you STILL have to swap the relays. If one of you has a door that unlocks but doesn't relock, that is CLASSIC symptoms of the relays. Swap them all out while you are in there...its easy and cheap. Not much on these cars is either of those two things...

HTH, just my experience. I did however have a door switch cluster actually break a trace on the driver lock button. It would lock and unlock from the passenger side, remote and speed sensor (as you start to go it would lock) but not from the button. That was AFTER I rebuilt the door module so I knew it had to be the switch. Flowed a solder trace to it and fixed it right as rain. Those are even easy to take apart

Cassidy

Last edited by C4B4the04; 05-11-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: details

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's Door Power Lock Intermittent

Quick Reply: Driver's Door Power Lock Intermittent