C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wire removal hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Spark plug wire removal hell

I've read lots of posts, tried recommended techniques and tools (bought different boot puller "pliers" including the adjustable angle one) but still cannot budge any of the wires. Tried twisting the rubber ends above the shield to break any "stiction" to hopefully ease pulling but could not get any to turn at all. Would cut the boots with a razor knife, then buy new wires, but the metal shields prevent that. My car only has 6000 miles on it and has always been garaged. I don't want to get too aggressive at this point, also don't want to damage the metal shields as I understand new wires don't come with the shields.
Obviously, with 6000 miles I don't need to do anything at this point, but the car is almost 7 years old and I would like to at least get the plugs out and renew the anti-seize compound.
Any tips or comments on the above? Thanks, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina
Old 05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The shields just come off and go on the new wires-no big deal. Guaranteed-you'll destroy at least one trying to save them. Just rip em off and get new ones.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
chrisok1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just pull hard. I have had the wires seized on the plugs before and have broken wires. I would plan on replacing the wires if you have to struggle to get them off.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Why worry about the metal shields......don't most folks leave them off with aftermarket wires ?

Be sure to use some silicone grease inside the boots when you replace the wires and you will never have this issue again.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WHY are you worring about plugs and wires at this mileage.

Leave it be and save your bucks and nerves for something worth while.

Seriously,,,,,,there fine. New fancy high dollar Plugs and wires DO NOT make HP/TQ. PERIOD! If it were me, I would NOT worry about them.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Wheelyneat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WHY are you worring about plugs and wires at this mileage.

Leave it be and save your bucks and nerves for something worth while.

Seriously,,,,,,there fine. New fancy high dollar Plugs and wires DO NOT make HP/TQ. PERIOD! If it were me, I would NOT worry about them.
I've wondered about the same thing... my '02 has 13K miles and I wonder if I should just leave the plugs alone. Does anyone know if Cool Socks are a viable replacement for the OEM metal heat shields?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The heat shielsd work well. As long as the wires, boots or shields dont touch the manifolds (stock configuration they wont) your fine.

Unless you see physical damage on the wires,,,,,there most likely fine.

BC
Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Depending on what you put the wires through already chances are you did it harm pulling and twisting on it. I gave up and bought a new set of GMPP red wires from Gene then replaced the plugs when the wires came. Trust me you will destroy several wires trying to remove them. The metal shields didn't suffer any harm. My knuckles did. If you do decide to change them remove the A.I.R. tube/check valve on the drivers side and the brake assist line I think to get a bit more room.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
If you do decide to change them remove the A.I.R. tube/check valve on the drivers side and the brake assist line I think to get a bit more room.
Only way to get to mine.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I gave up EVER trying to save them... I changed plugs 3 times and changed wires 3 times.. Not worth the aggravation taking your time and getting 7 wires and then fecking up the last one..

Just yank em and have a new set standing by..
Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 AM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

use a pair of needle nose on the shields (in between boot and shield) and they pop off
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You can do it, put your back into it!!!!

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire removal hell

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire removal hell