C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know, I never opened it up... But its not had a problem since i changed the filter 10,000 miles ago...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Before you freak out and rip the engine apart change your oil, and put a GOOD filter on there like a WIX or a K&N. I personally use a K&N oil filter and get great oil pressure.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Before you freak out and rip the engine apart change your oil, and put a GOOD filter on there like a WIX or a K&N. I personally use a K&N oil filter and get great oil pressure.
Yes use a WIX. And my 70k 2000 had a idle pressure of 19 at 225 oil temp, at 185 oil temp its at 30 but I am using Royal Purple oil (thins to water when hot) right now but I am switching to Castrol next. I have a 2k old sending unit.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:26 AM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please explain how the filter changes the oil pressure. Later! Frank
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fnsblum
Please explain how the filter changes the oil pressure. Later! Frank
Filters can become clogged and restrict flow. Other filters flow better than others, allowing higher pressure. I switched from a WIX to a K&N and got an extra 9-12psi while cold, and an extra 5-9 psi while hot.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our pumps are positive displacement. For every revolution the pump a fixed volume of oil is discharged. They do not pump pressure. Pressure is the result of restriction to that flow. If the filter has more resistance to flow the pressure between the filter and pump will be higher but the volume will be virtually be the same. If the filter plugs, the by-pass valve will open. I have no idea at what pressure that will happen. Oil temp, viscosity and RPM are the variables. If they are constant it doesen't make any difference what filter you have on or even have one the end pressure up where the sending unit is will be the same. Later! Frank
Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
rlncoalctd
Instructor

I just put a 427 in my car and I am getting 55-65psi cold idle, 19-20psi hot idle, and 39-40psi cruising. The engine has less than 15k miles on it. Running Mobile 1 5-30. It has a Melling pump we just put on it as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
dreww
Instructor

Didn't see anyone mention this....but try a thicker oil. I put 20-50w in my ls1's. I am in a southern state tho and we barely see below 30deg
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by greenc5
Went for a drive today, about 90 degrees in Columbus. Noticed at an idle the oil pressure dropped to 14. oil temp and coolant temp both about 225. Oil level is full. 87,000 miles.

Had this problem last summer when it actually dropped as low as 12. changed to 10w30. Looks like that didn't help much.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
what oil are you using? are you using a GM4718M oil?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by dreww
Didn't see anyone mention this....but try a thicker oil. I put 20-50w in my ls1's. I am in a southern state tho and we barely see below 30deg
worst possible thing you can do, seen a lot of LSX engines destroyed using this thinking... people pm me after the fact, most of those are using conventional oil, in a very specifically demanding oil spec.. the shear alone will destroy the oils ability to lubricate the engine...the is the reason many LSX engine bite the dust prematurely, because their owners know better than we do.
Thicker Oil what a joke, this isn't 1960. another legend in his own mind living off his grandfathers advice.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fnsblum
Our pumps are positive displacement. For every revolution the pump a fixed volume of oil is discharged. They do not pump pressure. Pressure is the result of restriction to that flow. If the filter has more resistance to flow the pressure between the filter and pump will be higher but the volume will be virtually be the same. If the filter plugs, the by-pass valve will open. I have no idea at what pressure that will happen. Oil temp, viscosity and RPM are the variables. If they are constant it doesen't make any difference what filter you have on or even have one the end pressure up where the sending unit is will be the same. Later! Frank
Exactly ... but wanted to add a bit here. I think the filter bypass valve (located in the block) opens around 8~10 PSI. Only time it might be possible that a clogged oil filter could cause low oil pressure is if the filter bypass valve isn't working quite right - ie, stuck and not opening, or opening too little. This would of course make the oil pump work harder until it went into pressure relief mode if the restriction was that great at the filter and bypass valve. Since this car doesn't read pressure between the oil pump and filter, you have no way of knowing if the pump is in pressure relief and bypassing oil back to the sump.

Only time the restrictiveness of any oil filter can be seen is when the oil pump is in pressure relief mode. Otherwise, as you said due to the positive displacement oil pump, all the volume out of the pump must be pushed through the filter & engine. If you really want to know if one filter is more restrictive than the other, then take the engine up to near redline and hold it there for 30 sec and see what the max oil pressure is. Do this with the same oil at the same temperature (per DIC readout values).

I've used 4 different brands of filters on my '02 Z06, and I get the exact same oil pressure at the same RPM and oil temps (with the same oil, Mobil 1 5W-30) with all of those oil filters. Using the tachometer and the DIC info (oil pressure and oil temperature) to verify this.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 03-16-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
5thGypsy
Cruising

Default No Oil Pressure

While the subject is "oil pressure" here is MY problem. I have a 2001 Z06 with some pretty extensive engine mods(bought it that way). Have had it for almost 3 years now. Original mileage is around 73,000. Anyway, oil pressure has always been good, no lower than 28psi at hot idle. A week or so ago I drove it out of town to meet someone for some car parts. I'm notorious for watching gauges and everything was business as usual. Pulled up to meet the guy, car idled normally, oil pressure was normal, shut the engine off. About 20 minutes later, I got in the car to head home and cranked the engine, the chime sounded and the information display said "no oil pressure" and gauge was at 0 ....Shut the engine off, got out, looked under the car, no oil leak and checked the oil. Level was right at 1/2 a quart low, but I added a quart anyway. Got back in the car, cranked it again and had top end ticking(no oil pressure), immediately shut it off and had a friend trailer it home.........Anyone know of any TSBs on this or had similar problems? Thanks, Curt
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGypsy
About 20 minutes later, I got in the car to head home and cranked the engine, the chime sounded and the information display said "no oil pressure" and gauge was at 0 ....Shut the engine off, got out, looked under the car, no oil leak and checked the oil. Level was right at 1/2 a quart low, but I added a quart anyway. Got back in the car, cranked it again and had top end ticking(no oil pressure), immediately shut it off and had a friend trailer it home.........Anyone know of any TSBs on this or had similar problems? Thanks, Curt
Sounds like you have no oil pressure ... verses just a failed pressure sensor, etc. Need to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine and verify no oil pressure. If so, then obviously something associated with the oil pump has failed. No TSBs that I've seen covers this. Only one close it this one.

Failure of O-ring between oil pick-up and oil pump.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...e#.UUdNvHfX58E

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 03-18-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
5thGypsy
Cruising

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Sounds like you have no oil pressure ... verses just a failed pressure sensor, etc. Need to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine and verify no oil pressure. If so, then obviously something associated with the oil pump has failed. No TSBs that I've seen cover this. Only one close it this one.

Failure of O-ring between oil pick-up and oil pump.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...e#.UUdNvHfX58E
Thanks ZeeO, I'm already sure it has zero oil pressure, I had no choice but to crank it and quickly pull it up on my friend's car trailer and it was ticking and had a few dead cylinders from the lifters not pumping up/losing their prime. Now that TSB kinda relates to a thought I had. To my knowledge, that pick-up tube only has 1 little bolt that attaches it to the oil pump and being that this motor's been into before, it's possible that that little bolt was either not tightened and/or just fell out. I think there's one more bolt near the screen end. That would explain to me why the oil pressure was fine up and until I shut the engine off in that parking lot. Like I said before, the pressure was just fine, until that last stop/start cycle and very possibly the suction from the oil pump held the tube in place, until I turned the engine off, allowing the tube to drop enough to lose pressure. Seems what ever the case, it will involve getting to that oil pump, although if I'm not mistaken, the oil pan on the 2001 LS6 is 2 piece, so maybe I can pull that off before tearing into the front of the motor........just thinking out loud here, lol. Thanks again man.

Last edited by 5thGypsy; 03-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 PM
tomdubya
Cruising

Originally Posted by glkfam
First I think I would change back to 5w-30 synthetic. Then here is the pressures right out of the manual for a 1997. Possibly they may be different for different years. maybe someone could chime in for your year. I also just needed to install a new oil pressure sensor from Autozone, it was a Brass Borg-Warner one and noticed my pressure were slightly different then when the original GM sensor was in.

6.0 psig at 1000 RPM
18.0 psig at 2000 RPM
24.0 psig at 4000 RPM
I know this is an old post, but to attain PSI do I add 14.7 to those numbers (psig)in this post?

Quick Reply: low oil pressure at idle