C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle bypass tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle bypass tubing?

Hey everyone.
I was browsing mods for my C5 z06, and spotted the most simple of them. theres aparently a tube , which pushes coolant through the throttle body. when the car warms up, this in turn warms up the throttle body, heating the air passing through it. so theres a simply bit of tube connector, which alows you to bypass this.
Was just wondering what your thoughts were on this, seemed like a simple idea to me, and something which could be DIY'd. but im unsure of the possatives against the negatives?
Chevy put this water system in for a reason, butim unsure what it is?.. maybe to stop the throttle body freezing up or something?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say "HI" before someone comes in and tells you how to search old threads.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never worked on that part of my car, so I'm not sure on the exact details, but on other cars (if it's what I'm thinking it is) was called a few different names, idle air control, cold start bypass. Basicly it uses coolant to determine the engine temp and during cold start up it bypasses a certain amout of air around the throttle body. When the car warms up the bypass closes off. In a nutshell, it is for cold startups.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chevylad
I've never worked on that part of my car, so I'm not sure on the exact details, but on other cars (if it's what I'm thinking it is) was called a few different names, idle air control, cold start bypass. Basicly it uses coolant to determine the engine temp and during cold start up it bypasses a certain amout of air around the throttle body. When the car warms up the bypass closes off. In a nutshell, it is for cold startups.
Very cold start ups, like - 30 below. Just get a piece of tubing long enough to run from the radiator to the intake and forget about the the little plug in bypass pipe, it just makes two more places to leak.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yup, a throttle body coolant bypass.

You can use a hose coupler. I think it's around 3/8" or so. You might have to extend the hose on the engine side to reach the hose from the rad. Or just do as suggested and get a new hose long enough to replace both.

Originally Posted by chevylad
I didn't see anything in the system that would shut off the coolant going through the throttle body when the engine was warm.

I bypassed mine over the winter when I had the intake off. I now have a slight throttle tip-in hesitation/surging but I'm not convinced it's the bypass. I just haven't been able to pin the problem down yet. So, the bypass might be the problem or it might not, I just don't know.

Peter
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
SJPD
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will gain ZERO by using the bypass
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by SJPD
you will gain ZERO by using the bypass
Ya, that is true. I did mine only because the hose from the engine to the throttle body is a pain to get to and take off. The second time around pulling the intake I didn't spend 20 minutes pulling the throttle body off first and then fighting with the factory clamps on that little hose.

Peter
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It makes taking things apart in the future easier, but other than that, serves little performance purpose. In a cool climate after running the car for a few minutes, you MIGHT see a fractional HP increase, but definatly nothing you could feel....and it would be so inconsistant, that even an engine dyno would have a hard time picking it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle bypass tubing?

Quick Reply: Throttle bypass tubing?