Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
TORCH
Airborne Moderator
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TORCH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Default Horn won't work.

If I set off the car alarm the horn works fine but if I try to use the horn by pushing on the horns on the stearing wheel it doesn't work. I checked fuses. Any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
TORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Pwrtrip75
CF Senior Member
 
Pwrtrip75's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to Pwrtrip75
Default

Interested in this also. I have the same issue on my 99.
Pwrtrip75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ajg1915's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: West Norriton PA
Default

The problem could be either of these two items.

The air bag contains a membrane that over time from the heat begins to fail or work no longer. Try pushing in around the horn areas on both sides and see if the horn works, if you have no success then it might be the second problem.

The second problem requires the removal of the air bag from the steering column. There is a spring loaded (red wire) that rubs on a contact in the steering hub that may of become dirty. Try some electrical cleaner on it and reassembly.
ajg1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
TORCH
Airborne Moderator
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TORCH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1915 View Post
The problem could be either of these two items.

The air bag contains a membrane that over time from the heat begins to fail or work no longer. Try pushing in around the horn areas on both sides and see if the horn works, if you have no success then it might be the second problem.

The second problem requires the removal of the air bag from the steering column. There is a spring loaded (red wire) that rubs on a contact in the steering hub that may of become dirty. Try some electrical cleaner on it and reassembly.
Thanks. Can I remove the air bag? I don't want to set that dayum thing off.
TORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ajg1915's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: West Norriton PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCH View Post
Thanks. Can I remove the air bag? I don't want to set that dayum thing off.
You'll need to disconnect the battery and pull the fuse for the SDM in passenger footwell.

I wait about a 1/2 hour to make sure it's discharged all of the power before removing.
ajg1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1915 View Post
You'll need to disconnect the battery and pull the fuse for the SDM in passenger footwell.

I wait about a 1/2 hour to make sure it's discharged all of the power before removing.
You definitely need to wait a while after disconnecting the battery as there is a capacitor that hold charge on the air bag system for a while. 30 minutes is more than safe.

Here's some reading for you related to the Membrane if that is the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1739923
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
byronhunter
CF Senior Member
 
byronhunter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Kinston North Carolina
Default

Click the image to open in full size.
byronhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Horn won't work.
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1991, 2000, 94, corvette, horn, wont, work


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Emails & Password Backup