C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need EBCM repair -(for code c-1233)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
john5801
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need EBCM repair -(for code c-1233)

i'm looking for someone to fix the ebcm unit..for 2000 vert ..
dic has been showing code c1233.(traction control/abs need service dash lights come on after start-up + 7-10 miles driving,reset, then back on ,etc.) dealer said i needed the RF wheel hub /sensor unit..i replaced the hub, i checked the (32-inch)jumper harness and switched the RF to LF and got the same dic code -c1233. had oscil scope current run thru the wires ,hub , from ebcm unit back to ebcm and it showed good readings. problem has been identified as the ebcm unit..(btw-when i disconnected the left side jumper harness, the dash lights and dic code came on -c1232 immediatly when the key was turned on, but car not started.)
i spokewith absfix this morning , he can't fix code c 1233.he said he did 01-04 units but not the c1233 code., and that the 2000 ebcm unit w/code c1233 can't be fix-ed..but to try a vendor or salvage yard called "gino's" ?
i think i've covered all the diagnostics..
any help would be appreciated.
thanks.
john
btw. i saw a place called module doctor on a post here ,but can't find it listed so i can call for info.

Last edited by john5801; 06-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The dealer is most likely full of C R A P! Well, considering their state of finicial dispair, your lucky that they didnt try to tell you the engine need to be replaced. Hope you saved your old hub!

Your problem is most likely a bad connection inside the female pins on the wheel speed sensor wiring harness. If you look very closely at each of the female pins, you will probably find that one or more of the female pin connections is defective. There are 4 female pins in the each front harness and 2 in each rear.

To properly test the female pins, you need to find, purchase, steal or make a male pin the same size as the male pin that fits into the female pin. Once you have that male pin,,,insert it into the female pin and make sure that the female pin make proper contact with the male pin. There should be a nice tight grip on the insertion and retraction of the male pin.

In the past i would have told you to replace the connector but I have found out that you can use a jewlers screwdriver and make the female pin have the correct tension on the male pin.

I have numerous post on this very subject. See if you can search for them.

Heres one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html

Pictures of the defective pins are in there! You can fix this your self for ZERO Dollars and ZERO Cents
Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.absfixer.com/
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
john5801
Instructor

Default ebcm

bill--
thank's. for the info..i'm searching for the pic's of the harness female ends...on you're post you said....alot of info..... in the meantime,i took a break and -pulled the RH harness out and checked the -"tightness"-snugness- on 4 female ends on the RF sensor.all seemed tight..i did put a jewelers screwdriver in them to make sure....and put them back in the car...... i'll drive the car tomorrow to see if fixed the problem..

if it does'nt, ..when both sides ( right and left )of the (32") harness's had current run thru them from the ebcm connection and thru the hub sensor and back to the ecbm would'nt that tell me that the connectores and wiring are ok.? i got the same power readings-osc scope - readings and pictures on both sides.
and that's what confuses me. and points me to the ecbm unit....

btw--the dealer was positive of the hub problem and wanted 650$ to replace the hub..on this CV forum site i read that auto-zone sold them for 160$.. so i went there --yep--169$ ..and then i installed it ..(btw # 2 -vette magazine, july2009 issue has a detailed how-to on this sensor/bearing hub swap--piece of cake...pg's 56-59 and dic info pg.-60-62.).
am i lucky or what.............
i'll follow-up tomorrow after the drive..
thanks again..
john

to poolboy..
thanks. i had called absfix this morning and spoke w/ brandon..he can't fix this 2000 ebcm unit with the c-1233 code..

Last edited by john5801; 06-02-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

John

Look at post # 143 in that link and you will see all the WSS connector repair data and pics.

Bill
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
rkort
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you need a ebcm i got one for sale, hope it some thing else.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...o-jl4-opt.html
Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
john5801
Instructor

Default ECBM -reply

thanks Bill..i found you're post #143.. my female ends look like the new /good ones in you're post..
i'll see what happens tomorrow after i drive the car...

and yes, i saved my old wheel/sensor bearing hub..just in case....
off subject--
i see you're from the new london, conn. area.....i spent many summers up there as a kid.. new london, nyantic, groton --the sub base--mystic...rocky neck state park..the resturant in there use to be called the nautilius resturant..( named after the first nuculer sub #571 of course).

thanks again...
john
Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
john5801
Instructor

Default ecbm

rkort--
sorry to ask....but...
what is JL 4 opt??
i have 2000 vert -6spd.
thanks
john

p.s.--rkort
i found out the opt JL-4 = active handling system.. i have the system, so i'll pass on the ecbm .. i learned something new today...
thanks anyway..

Last edited by john5801; 06-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
john5801
Instructor

Default once more with feeling

bill curlee.

update. code c-1233 RF wheel speed signal circut open or shorted...2000 -6spd vert...
finally got to drive the car on sunday .the dash lights and codes came back on for the RH wheel signal. i spread the connectors in the harness for a firm/snug fit..as shown in you're pic'c on you're post # 143..no luck..
so to re-cap..
the harness seems good with current, the connectors are good, current run from the ebcm thru the wires to the RH wheel sensor and back to the ebcm are showing the same on both sides, i've switched the harness's from the left side to the right side and received the same RH signal and code. i've replaced the RH wheel hub bearing /signal unit...

anything else i can try? or is it time to search the forum for a new ebcm?
thanks again ..
john

Last edited by john5801; 06-08-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: reword
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Rexbo04
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reading all the post I can find on this persistent 1233 code. I have ohm'ed out wires, replaced both wheel sensors and cleaned everthing. I have pulled the ECBM and inspected it. I don't know what is next, unless it is internal to the ECBM. It is a beautiful 2004 C5 and I hate that I can't find this problem. Any advise would be helpful, ABS fixer also told me they couldn't help. please help

Get notified of new replies

To Need EBCM repair -(for code c-1233)

Quick Reply: Need EBCM repair -(for code c-1233)