C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear view mirror shift light

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
TAMike2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view mirror shift light

How do i turn off the light on the rear view mirror that lights up the shifter?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

A piece of black electrical tape?

Think that if you pull the fuse for the mirror, you will lose more than just the light.

Plasticman
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why, it hardly uses any power?

Originally Posted by TAMike2
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
knyght4
Drifting

Originally Posted by TAMike2
Why do you want it off?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder the same thing, why would you want it off, I did realize it was there until I read a post last year about qwirky things about the c5 !!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 PM
JropTop
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a 5mm led amber bulb in the mirror itself,the only way to get rid of it is taking the mirror apart and desldering,or snipping that bulb off,therefore,use a piece of electrical tape to cover the bulb lens,alot easier!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Other option is to swap to a different mirror. I just did that to gain a compass, and it works great. Has map lights and auto dimming (just like my original), but the added compass is what I wanted.

But it did not have the LED shifter light.
That is not an issue, since I have an A4 trans, and the PRNDL is lighted anyway.

Had to do a little rewiring to make this particular mirror work in a Corvette, but that is fine by me. And removing the old mirror was "interesting", but thanks to the forum, I found what worked (for me).

In fact I just finished it today, and test drove tonight to check the auto dimming, etc. (and all works great)!

Plasticman
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know can you get it without the auto dimming? I'm definitely in the minority but I like full rear view. Don't like it dimmed. Even worse with tint.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Professorsc5
Advanced

I have a 98 vert with a 6 speed and I have no idea what you are talking about. Was it a factory option or aftermarket?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by TooMch
Do you know can you get it without the auto dimming? I'm definitely in the minority but I like full rear view. Don't like it dimmed. Even worse with tint.
All auto-dimming mirrors I have seen can turn off the auto-dimming feature. But I have not seen any without the auto-dimming if you want some of the other features, be it compass, temp, map lights, or home link. The auto-dimming is the "main" feature in these aftermarket mirrors.

I can understand your need to not use it, and it may also be defeated by cutting a wire (and tape it) on the ones I have seen. But may be easier to just to hit the button to turn it off.

Plasticman
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Professorsc5
I have a 98 vert with a 6 speed and I have no idea what you are talking about. Was it a factory option or aftermarket?
My 87 Corvette had it (so I would expect it to pretty much standard on all Corvettes since then), and my 03 had it until today. It is a small LED (Light Emitting Diode) that shines down to the shifter area, from the bottom of the inside rearview mirror.

Note that my 03 had the auto-dimming mirror, and the LED illuminating the shifter may not of been available with the "standard" mirror. Is your mirror auto-dimming or not? Do you have a LED shining down when the key is on (from the mirror)?

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-05-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You can access the wires for the led from the right side map light socket. I didn't care for the amber led. Pretty much a do nothing light. So I matched it to the rest of the cool white leds in my interior. I like it now. It hi lights the beer in the cup holder.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
You can access the wires for the led from the right side map light socket. I didn't care for the amber led. Pretty much a do nothing light. So I matched it to the rest of the cool white leds in my interior. I like it now. It hi lights the beer in the cup holder.
At some point GM (with the Gentex auto-dimming mirror marked Gentex 227 on the rear) starting using LEDs for the map lights (my 03 has them, but the 03 Service Manual shows how to replace the incandescent bulbs!).

Don't know if you can access the Shift LED if you have the LED Map Light version mirror.
Edit: I can wiggle the LED holders on my original Auto-dimming mirror, so perhaps they can be removed (for access to the Shift Light LED.

You actually can use the cup holder to hold a can?

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-06-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mines a 99 and uses festoon bulbs.

The beer was a joke to rile up the holy rollers here who chastise everybody who doesn't conform to their beliefs. The only thing my cup holder can hold is a cell phone, set of keys or spare change.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 AM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know anything about the standard mirror, but I have taken apart and replaced the LED's in about a dozen of the autodimming mirrors, so I am quite familiar with them. The only way to turn the shift light off as has been mentioned is to either cut one of the wires for that LED, but you'd have to remove the mirror and take it apart, or put a piece of black tape over it.

Both the 6sp and Auto, have the shift light if they have the autodimming mirror. I have an auto I bought new and it came with the autodimming mirror with the shift light.

Turning off the autodimming feature does not turn off the shift light.

If you have a standard mirror, (without autodimming, one that takes the festoon bulbs for the map lights instead of the permanent LED's) according to Camjamsdad you can reach in from the map light socket and get access to the shift light.

Get notified of new replies

To rear view mirror shift light

Quick Reply: rear view mirror shift light